Is Villages GPS App Accurate?

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2021, 05:13 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAndrews View Post
Currently house-hunting in TV and we are looking at villas close to Lake Sumter Landing or Brownwood Paddock.

We want to be "golf cart close" to one (or both) of these town squares, but The Villages GPS is giving what seems to be outrageously long golf cart times from the neighborhoods to the squares. For example, last month we were able to take a golf cart ride from Clifford Ct. to Lake Sumter Landing in about 25 minutes, yet Villages GPS is now saying that is a 39-minute trip. The cart was a rental and maxed out at 12 MPH. I don't understand! Is Villages GPS accurate?

Follow-up question. For anyone living in a centrally located neighborhood such as Duval, how long does it take you to drive your golf cart to Lake Sumter or to Brownwood Paddock? Would they both be comfortable rides from Duval? I really appreciate any advice you can offer!!

EDIT:
Thank you all for your helpful answers!! We look forward to joining you soon!
Hi SeanAndrews,
I just saw this question in my email from TOTV Daily Talk.

You are correct. It is a estimation based on around 10 miles per hour. We aren’t able to change this right now but are trying to find a workaround.

Once you get out there and start driving on your route, the time will change as you drive.

Also, we just added a Real Estate tab that links all of the houses for Sale and for Rent that are listed on Talk of The Villages.

If you don't see this tab, go to your App Store or play store and update the app now.

Tip: To see these houses on the map, click the top right map icon.

For those of you reading this. If you don't know... we are just a couple Villagers like yourself. We are doing our best for all of us Villagers.

If anyone reading this has any issues with our app, we are a email away!

Please email us at VillagesGPS@gmail.com.

Check out our FAQ here.

For any inquiries, feel free to email us at VillagesGPS@gmail.com.

We're here for you!!!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Currently house-hunting in TV and we are looking at villas close to Lake Sumter Landing or Brownwood Paddock.

We want to be "golf cart close" to one (or both) of these town squares, but The Villages GPS is giving what seems to be outrageously long golf cart times from the neighborhoods to the squares. For example, last month we were able to take a golf cart ride from Clifford Ct. to Lake Sumter Landing in about 25 minutes, yet Villages GPS is now saying that is a 39-minute trip. The cart was a rental and maxed out at 12 MPH. I don't understand! Is Villages GPS accurate?

Follow-up question. For anyone living in a centrally located neighborhood such as Duval, how long does it take you to drive your golf cart to Lake Sumter or to Brownwood Paddock? Would they both be comfortable rides from Duval? I really appreciate any advice you can offer!!

EDIT:
The times are probably close to 40%off.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

EDIT:
I’m not going to read 5 pages of posts so my answer is probably a repeat ....

You are correct . The estimated times on these apps are grossly over estimated......
Old 03-12-2021, 06:37 PM

The Villages GPS app that you pay for just about doubles the estimated travel time by golf cart. Our golf cart will hit about 23-24 mph.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:23 PM
Default From Pine Ridge

Quote:
Yes, I checked the "by car" option, but that also seemed to be longer. Just wondering if this is a glitch or something. I want to buy a house that is within 15-20 minutes of a major town square, driving a 19 MPH golf cart.
We are in Pine Ridge (just beliw 466A). Our cart probably goes a little faster at 20pmh but it takes 17 mins to Lake Sumter & 21 min to Brownwood by golf cart.
That was one of our top 5 requirements <25 mins by cart to 2 town squares!
Old 03-12-2021, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

EDIT:
I have found the app to be very accurate *except* for their estimated times. They are WAY off on everyone that I've checked. Their distances are pretty accurate but their times are not. It takes much less time than they show.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Tried using the app from the Fenney Grill to Brownwood today - estimated travel time was 3 hours and 13 minutes.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

For the Villages GPS app (not the free one, but the app that they charge $5.99 for), you can take the time they show for a golf cart and divide by 2. You will be within a minute of the real travel time. I wish they would just let you enter in your own average golf cart speed to make this more accurate.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
For the Villages GPS app (not the free one, but the app that they charge $5.99 for), you can take the time they show for a golf cart and divide by 2. You will be within a minute of the real travel time. I wish they would just let you enter in your own average golf cart speed to make this more accurate.
That’s what i have a problem with - i paid $6 for an app that is not accurate.
The free one has a terrible interface, but it is accurate.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages GPS View Post
Hi SeanAndrews,
I just saw this question in my email from TOTV Daily Talk.

You are correct. It is a estimation based on around 10 miles per hour. We aren’t able to change this right now but are trying to find a workaround.

Once you get out there and start driving on your route, the time will change as you drive.

Also, we just added a Real Estate tab that links all of the houses for Sale and for Rent that are listed on Talk of The Villages.

If you don't see this tab, go to your App Store or play store and update the app now.

Tip: To see these houses on the map, click the top right map icon.

For those of you reading this. If you don't know... we are just a couple Villagers like yourself. We are doing our best for all of us Villagers.

If anyone reading this has any issues with our app, we are a email away!

Please email us at VillagesGPS@gmail.com.
Thank you for your answer! Now that I know how the app calculates the driving times, it will make more sense to me. I have found the other functions helpful too!
Old 03-13-2021, 01:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Maybe the app was written with the Google API which would mean they can't adjust the cart travel time (what Google uses to figure "bike travel time") unless and until Google includes that capability in their API.

kathy
Old 03-13-2021, 02:44 PM
Default Thank You!

How very wonderful...thank you so much! Really appreciate your response and other connections!
Old 03-13-2021, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
They are working on a solution.... in the mean time, you can’t divide by 2 ??
Old 03-13-2021, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The App is infinitely better by leaps and bounds then it was several years ago. The team really hung in there and came through for their customers. They addressed each and every shortcoming that the original App had. I think it’s great now. There are a lot less Carts pulled over on the lawn with the old school paper maps out. Gotta give them credit. I was not a supporter early on but am now.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, villages, golf, gps, lake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.