The Villages Under 55?

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2021, 08:34 AM
Default The Villages Under 55?

First off thank you for this wonderful forum full of great information.

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

I was just a few months shy of 50 when I moved here 20 yrs ago...

there's a lot young people in there 50's, BUTTT there are way more older ones also....lol
Old 08-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.
We purchased in 2013, we were sub-55. Never felt too young. Still don't. Clubs/activities are based on just that.....the club/activity, not age. You are middle aged, come down here for a few years and feel like "the kid"......it won't last long.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:01 AM

it may feel like the average age is 70, but I don't believe it is. and TV is big enough that you can find all kinds of people closer to your age for friendship, for activities, etc

Yoda
Old 08-04-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

No problem with the federal 55 community law---at least one occupant has to be 55+ in 80% of the homes.

I bought here when I was 54 in a newly built neighborhood. A few neighbors were a bit younger, most were about 60-65. Never been a problem. In general, younger people are in the south of 44 newly built areas, but also, as nature takes its course, there are a lot of resales in the oldest areas as well
Old 08-04-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No problem with the federal 55 community law---at least one occupant has to be 55+ in 80% of the homes.

I bought here when I was 54 in a newly built neighborhood. A few neighbors were a bit younger, most were about 60-65. Never been a problem. In general, younger people are in the south of 44 newly built areas, but also, as nature takes its course, there are a lot of resales in the oldest areas as well
I find myself as a big fan of the spot directly between Lake Sumter Square and Brownwood Square, I believe Villagers call the Sixes.

While I am sure the new area is fantastic, and the houses we have viewed look nice, we definitely prefer more mature trees and scenery.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
I find myself as a big fan of the spot directly between Lake Sumter Square and Brownwood Square, I believe Villagers call the Sixes.

While I am sure the new area is fantastic, and the houses we have viewed look nice, we definitely prefer more mature trees and scenery.
While a bit older than you (I'm 63, swmbo is 62...). We also decided we wanted an established neighborhood and wanted to be near friends who already lived here...

We settled in Osceola Hills, but also saw some wonderful homes up towards Pinellas.

Our neighbors here range in age from late 50's to 80... All are very nice... Even to me!

-Tom Petty
Old 08-04-2021, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:

We felt the same way and bought in the same area (between Brownwood and Sumter). We've only been here about 10 months but we're happy with our choice.

At mid-50s, we find that we are the younger part of the neighborhood but we haven't found that to be any problem at all. Chances are good you will fit right in and be happy here.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-04-2021, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

I'm a big fan of that area too, since that's where I live. When I bought in 2014 the end of my block WAS the end of The Villages, hence a newer neighborhood with younger owners. Now, with all the land acquired south of 470 almost to Center Hill, I'm just slightly north of the geographic center of TV
Old 08-04-2021, 12:06 PM

late 50s here. we've found lots of people around our age to make friends with
Old 08-04-2021, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

LOL seems like how we look at it also.... can't wait to hear the whining when the Harleys roll through after 9pm LOL (yes now you'll know who it is)
Old 08-04-2021, 12:53 PM

I don’t think you will have any problem. The newer neighborhoods tend to be younger in general, but your activities will dictate who are your friends with more than neighborhood. I run a golf group and we have guys from 50’s into 80’s. They are all good guys and great to be around, we may play from different tees but love playing together and socializing together. I also dragon boat and people are from early 50’s to 80’s. Again, a great group of people to work out with and socialize with. There are some really strong 80 year old here! I am in my early 60’s and don’t really think about the age of someone.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:05 PM

Bought my house in my late 30’s and now I’m in early 50’s and have no issues with the age difference as it seems most people are down to earth…..I’m just jealous that I have to work for a living….lol.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:02 AM
Veteran member

It depends on your lifestyle. If you are desire a vibrant nightlife, not a great choice. After 7 pm most restaurants are deserted. But you are only an hour away from Orlando.

Otherwise it is a fantastic place to live. Very little crime and the neighborhoods are quiet with very few kids and mostly friendly neighbors. And their are clubs for everything.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:12 AM

Age is all relative here. My wife and also are sub 55 and we live in the new area south of 44. There tend to be more people in our age group down here. We enjoy all the activities here and never feel like we are “the young ones” but from time to time we do hear “we are old enough to be your parents” when we talk to some people that we meet. All in all everyone is friendly and we love it here.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, area, enjoy, people, bit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.