The Villages Under 55?

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
First off thank you for this wonderful forum full of great information.

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.
If I had found this place at 52ish I would have moved. Younger people are welcomed without prejudice. The longer you wait the more fun you miss out on. I moved in at 60.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
It depends on your lifestyle. If you are desire a vibrant nightlife, not a great choice. After 7 pm most restaurants are deserted. But you are only an hour away from Orlando.

Otherwise it is a fantastic place to live. Very little crime and the neighborhoods are quiet with very few kids and mostly friendly neighbors. And their are clubs for everything.
Definitely not a vibrant nightlife couple. Work a lot, quiet as can be haha.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:52 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Lots of younger people go for the Court Yard Villas and Patio Villas.
Then sell and move up to larger homes after establishing themselves in TV.
Easy to meet your neighbors in the villas.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

My wife and I started looking for homes in the Villages this year for my in laws. Our plan to purchase for them and let them retire and enjoy the life that this area offers. In our two lifestyle visits to the area, we have really enjoyed it.

What we have come to realize is that we might be the people that like it a bit more than them. We play golf, like golf carts, enjoy dining out and work from home as we are both self employed. I am just south of 50 years old and my wife is a bit younger than that.

The question I have is, while I know the laws allow a small percentage of under of the age of 55 people to buy and live, what about the lifestyle? Would we feel out of place or looked at differently for being younger? Could we be involved in clubs or activities?

Not sure it is something we would consider with the inflated costs currently, but something we have been discussing and wanted to get residents thoughts on the matter.
I’ve read that the rules for 80% minimum of people 55 or over only applies to first time sales, and there is no minimum for resales. There are hundreds of resales at all times. I’ve noticed that many people under 55 love it here and often make friends with people around their own age. They are well accepted. That said, I think a huge percentage of us may like children, especially our own grandchildren, but we do NOT want children moving into our neighborhoods, especially teenagers. While there are excellent schools here where such kids could go to school, they change neighborhoods and things to worry about. Some would say for the better, and some would say for the worse.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

My thoughts: the younger group move in as the older group dies off. The older areas of the Villages are in a steady influx for that reason. The southern sections are just starting out, so the majority will be in the 55-60 set there, many with just one of them being 55+ and the second of the couple being under 55.

The only time it's even a major consideration is if you have children under age 19. They can't live with you. Also, if you have adult children under age 30, they are not permitted to use the adult pools.

Other than that, it's not a big deal.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I’ve read that the rules for 80% minimum of people 55 or over only applies to first time sales, and there is no minimum for resales. There are hundreds of resales at all times. I’ve noticed that many people under 55 love it here and often make friends with people around their own age. They are well accepted. That said, I think a huge percentage of us may like children, especially our own grandchildren, but we do NOT want children moving into our neighborhoods, especially teenagers. While there are excellent schools here where such kids could go to school, they change neighborhoods and things to worry about. Some would say for the better, and some would say for the worse.
You have read wrong. You can find the actual law on the HUD Fair Housing Act page, here:

The Fair Housing Act: Housing for Older Persons | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:32 AM

Personally I think you are too young to come here. Do you really want to associate with people who are 10-30 yrs older. You may want to poisoned your decision for awhile or purchase with the intent of renting your home during prime months . Run the numbers. Figur 4,000 mo for Jan- April. Other months consider as a bonus
Old 08-05-2021, 06:39 AM

My hubby and I are both 48, both self-employed working from home, and we are currently renting a CYV just south of 466A until we can figure out just where in TV we'd like to buy. We absolutely love it here - the activities, the lifestyle, the (mostly) friendly people. It's a great fit for us, even without the true nightlife, since we're typically in bed by 10pm anyway because of needing to get up early for our work. Yes, we are called 'the kids' by some of our friends, neighbors, and acquaintances, but it's all in good fun and we tease right back about them being 'geezers' & 'old farts'. There will be a few things in which you can't participate due to being under the age limit, but those are fairly few. Come on down, join in, and enjoy!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:52 AM

We all love having younger folks around; some of us occassionally need some muscular assistance,,,,
Old 08-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:

There used to be a club called "South of 60" I believe. Not sure if it's still running since Covid, but if it is, you may want to check it out and see if you make friends with people who are younger than 60. It may influence your choice of home/location to buy. I end up being the 'young' one often at 56 but I don't mind it at all, it's about the quality of life/activities with many awesome people.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

I moved down to retirement Central when I was 45 and my wife was 50. I used to have to tell people that I took special vitamins. The only thing bad is you'll have to get used to people talking about which sickness in which doctor they're going to tomorrow morning. Other than that 99% of the people are going to be nice to you and whether it's the villages or another community around here you'll really enjoy yourself. I will say also at the first 10 or 15 years we will really willing and able to drive one hour or 2 hours to visit all of the Florida areas and explore or even just a good dinner but after a while it did get tiring. Now that I'm here 20 years, my children are finally having grandbabies and I'll be flying in and out of Orlando airport quite more than I've been doing so you may want to consider how close you are to the highway when you decide where to finally purchase a home. Enjoy life and be glad the stock market has gone up the last 6 years
Old 08-05-2021, 07:13 AM
Smile

I am 53 and my husband will turn 50 very soon. We have known about The Villages since my aunt and uncle moved here 16 years ago. My brother lives here already, too. We are excited to be building what we plan to be our last home. While we are not retired by a long shot, we look forward to living where we will retire.

Age is a number. Some people are old at 25, some people are super young at 80. Mental and physical health both play a part. Most people will tell you that they don’t feel old regardless of what year the birth certificate says.

Looking forward to meeting new neighbors, new friends of any age.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
The rules are the same for new and resales. It follows the Federal Government rules for this.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

We are in our 50s, still working.
We love it

The only thing that sucks is when you see your retired neighbors leaving to golf at 10AM on a tuesday and you have a zoom meeting.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:29 AM

One catch... You have to be 55 to buy.

Talk to the VCDD ( ww.districtgov.org ) in Lake Sumter, they will advise better.

Maybe setting up the house in a trust will work better, give them life estate.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, area, enjoy, people, bit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.