Vinyl Siding Courtyard Villas

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Location: Philadelphia PA, North Wildwood NJ, Village of Tamarind Grove - June 2011
Default Vinyl Siding Courtyard Villas

Hello Everyone! I have been looking on TOTV for over two months now both before and after my Lifestyle visit. I absolutely love the Villages!!! I am planning on purchasing a courtyard villas sometime within the next three months and have read all the posts on concrete versus vinyl. Besides being careful about termintes with the vinyl homes has anyone had any problems with their vinyl sided homes? I currently live in a New Jersey shore community and am only four blocks from the beach. Quite often we get extremely high winds and I never had any problems with my siding here. Any information you could provide would help me to make a better decision on whether to purchase a concrete home or a vinyl sided home. Thanks so much.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

I had a 6 year-old vinyl strip in which the previous owner had allowed a satellite TV installer to drill two holes to run wires. I abandoned the dish and a contractor friend found a replacement strip. It is an EXACT color match!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Sage

I see this is your first post. Welcome to TOTV.

I can't answer your question as I am still a wannabe but I will be looking forward to the respones you get.

Keep on posting.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Gold member

We have vinyl and are happy with it. You don't have to worry about the high winds that you do at the beach. We lived in Kitty hawk a couple of blocks from the beach and experienced many a nor'easter. We had vinyl there also and never had a problem with the siding. The winds in central Fl aren't near as bad. We even survived many a hurrican up there. The only problem you may have down here is a tornado (One went thru Feb 2, 2007) there was damage to vinyl as well as block homes. That's the only tornado that I have heard of in this area.

For maintance we wash it down twice a year, using a mixture of bleach/water in sprayer and our garden hose.

Last edited by obxgal; 12-20-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=seashorecaroline;316786]

Has anyone had any problems with their vinyl sided homes? [QUOTE]

We had a stucco CYV, and we now have a vinyl-sided home. I don't see any difference other than looks. Perhaps the stucco would retain heat or cool better.

Both have to be powerwashed regularly. We also had to powerwash the walls of the CYV.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Location: Philadelphia PA, North Wildwood NJ, Village of Tamarind Grove - June 2011

Thank you so much for your reponses. I guess the decision to purchase a vinyl CYV or a concrete one will depend on what is available once I am ready to purchase. The one decision I am sure of is - I can't wait to move to the Villages!!!! Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Sage

Caroline,
Welcome to TOTV. We have a vinyl siding on a seven-year-old home in TV. No problems. Maintenance is about the same (i.e., washing). The two main differences are aesthetics and cost. I think concrete adds about $10,000 to the same style home.

Someone please correct my figure if it is wrong.

Please keep us posted on your home search. Don't forget to use both a Villages Sales agent and an MLS Realtor if you shop for resales. Best wishes!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashorecaroline View Post
Thank you so much for your reponses. I guess the decision to purchase a vinyl CYV or a concrete one will depend on what is available once I am ready to purchase. The one decision I am sure of is - I can't wait to move to the Villages!!!! Thanks again.
When I first came here I bought a vinyl courtyard villa and absolutely loved it . Once a year I would go out and wash it and it would look like new... After three years we decided to buy a pre owned bigger house that happens to be stucco .....It is also a very nice house and we like it , HOWEVER, It requires paint , Now I do clean it but it doesn't look spiffy like the vinyl did. What I'm trying to tell you is you can't make a mistake which ever way you go ...And here your never home anyway.......

good luck ,,,,, Fumar......
Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Caroline,
The two main differences are aesthetics and cost. I think concrete adds about $10,000 to the same style home.
Aesthetics are in the eyes of the owner. It depends on what you like. I have vinyl and am aesthetically happy!

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM

Thank you all so very much for welcoming me to the TOTV and your input. I do like the way the vinyl sided homes look and I also like the look of stucco too but I think I will go with the vinyl. Hopefully the Bonita I like will be available once I am ready to purchase. I will let you know when I purchase and hopefully once I get down to the Villages I could meet all of you. Thanks so much again! Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year!!!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM

We have a 2 year old vinyl Bonita are are very happy with it
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.