We're Committed...How Did You All Do It?

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran member

Veni vidi vici. We came, we saw, we bought. It may not be the right house exactly but we have big dogs and the thought of trying to find someone who was thrilled to rent to people with more than one huge dog wasn't going to be easy. We wanted to know that our home was ours and that we could do what we wanted to with it. That the furniture we brought to fit it was going to fit and that things were decided when we moved down. We wanted done to be done. We didn't have the luxury of moving more than once and making our family of canines and us settle in again and again. We figure it'll work out. We have faith. So far we haven't moved in yet but if we have to move after we do move in then we will. I'm not really worried about it though. I like the house we bought and feel great about it. Can't wait to move into it and meet our neighbors.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Veni vidi vici. We came, we saw, we bought. It may not be the right house exactly but we have big dogs and the thought of trying to find someone who was thrilled to rent to people with more than one huge dog wasn't going to be easy. We wanted to know that our home was ours and that we could do what we wanted to with it. That the furniture we brought to fit it was going to fit and that things were decided when we moved down. We wanted done to be done. We didn't have the luxury of moving more than once and making our family of canines and us settle in again and again. We figure it'll work out. We have faith. So far we haven't moved in yet but if we have to move after we do move in then we will. I'm not really worried about it though. I like the house we bought and feel great about it. Can't wait to move into it and meet our neighbors.
lovsthosebigdogs, What village did you end up buying in? And did you buy a courtyard villa? (I understand many dog owners like CYVs).
Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
We did about 3 LSL visits and decided THIS IS IT and we bought new. We come down as often as possible and wish we could be full time but I've got to close down my practice and it's going to take a little more time.

Go for it. You can always sell a house if you don't like it or its' location. We've had numerous people ask if we are interested in selling our place. Of course my answer is always a resounding NO.
We've been to TV twice looking at homes...you do just have to go for it at some point! Good Luck with your decisions! Thanks for the pep talk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
Feeling like we're leaning the same way even though we don't have big dogs! Looks like you'll be moving in soon..let us know how the dogs like it! Good Luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I would do this to help make the best decision possible. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 different homes and 3 or 4 locations you like. Find a similar home in one of those locations and rent it for a month. Try another type home in another location. After 3 months buy your preferred type home in your preferred location. It is a very low cost investment to help you make the best possible decision. Low season rents are around $1200 a month and high season around $3400 a month. So for around $6000 you can make a very informed decision. You will then have the perfect home in the perfect location for you based on your experience. Many who have moved or bought something they wish they had not, would pay 3 times that for a do over.
We are getting closer to narrowing down our choices but problem is timing and available rentals in the neighborhoods we're looking at.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran member

Yes, we bought in Tamarind Grove and we bought a CYV. For us that was not only an easy decision, but it was the only decision since we have sighthounds and they do not respect an invisible fence.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Gold member

Hello from Michigan.
We came in Jan 2012 for a visit; bought a lot; built and just celebrated our 1st anniversary in TV.
Like Nike says Just do it.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
Hello from Michigan.
We came in Jan 2012 for a visit; bought a lot; built and just celebrated our 1st anniversary in TV.
Like Nike says Just do it.
keithwand, Congrats to you on your first anniversary in TV!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 AM

I can tell you the first move is always the hardset, each additional move gets some what easier. My wife and I have moved 14 times now. Each move we clean out stuff, and each move we seem to have more stuff. We made a rule if we have not unpacked the box from one move to another then we most likely don't need it. We also believe that a house does not make a home, what makes our home is our hearts and our relationship.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rts2tv View Post
We are Pat and Tom from Michigan and will be full time villagers by the end of this year...we can't wait! Tom is retiring and I will continue to work in health care for several years when we arrive. All our planning is in full swing and we are VERY overwhelmed with it all! We have researched TV for over a year, got the book, did the Lifestyle preview plan and read so much of the priceless advice given on this forum...thank you to everyone that contributes!

It seems the advice given over and over is to take our time to be sure to purchase a home that is best suited to our needs/wants. This approach does seem to be the best and least stressful for our situation, but we're conflicted about wasting money renting and having to put our stuff in storage and then move again once we purchase our home. Does anyone have any additional insight to help make this decision clearer for us? How did you all do it?
Good luck with all your decisions. They are not easy ones, and we did find the thoughts from the TOTV people very helpful, especially the contradictory ones because they made us think! We waited until we sold our house in VA before committing to one here. We had visited many times and did not feel the need to rent. We had been tracking a long list of homes for sale, so when the time came, we sent a list of about a dozen to our agent and we hit the road running when we came down to buy. We knew some of the activities that we wanted to participate in and we knew where those activities met. Based on that, we drew a circle on the map that would put us closest to all of them, or at least central to most, and that became our target area. We were not concerned about being in a new neighborhood because we have found in the past that our friends tend to be those who we do things with, not just the people we live near. We also thought a preowned home would suit us well because some of the work we might want to do would already be done. As it turned out, we bought a style that was different than what we originally thought we would get because this particular house just had a really good "fit" for us. We thought we wanted a designer and ended up with a cottage "At Ease". So, I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that when you do look, be open to a lot of different things out there. The right one is there, but it may not be what you think initially! Again, good luck and welcome to TV soon!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsdavis View Post
Good luck with all your decisions. They are not easy ones, and we did find the thoughts from the TOTV people very helpful, especially the contradictory ones because they made us think! We waited until we sold our house in VA before committing to one here. We had visited many times and did not feel the need to rent. We had been tracking a long list of homes for sale, so when the time came, we sent a list of about a dozen to our agent and we hit the road running when we came down to buy. We knew some of the activities that we wanted to participate in and we knew where those activities met. Based on that, we drew a circle on the map that would put us closest to all of them, or at least central to most, and that became our target area. We were not concerned about being in a new neighborhood because we have found in the past that our friends tend to be those who we do things with, not just the people we live near. We also thought a preowned home would suit us well because some of the work we might want to do would already be done. As it turned out, we bought a style that was different than what we originally thought we would get because this particular house just had a really good "fit" for us. We thought we wanted a designer and ended up with a cottage "At Ease". So, I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that when you do look, be open to a lot of different things out there. The right one is there, but it may not be what you think initially! Again, good luck and welcome to TV soon!
Thank you! You're right that everyone sharing their experiences/opinions is making us think about things we wouldn't have and it's really helpful and appreciated! We have completed our priority list of things we both feel are "must haves" but have also decided not to limit ourselves too much and to keep an open mind about new build vs pre-owned until we arrive and actually shop for homes.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Default Pros & Cons of This Approach?

We're considering purchasing a lot before we come to visit in October. We would have the guidance from our sales agent about the size & allowance for stretches for the home model we like, and a personal friend that lives in TV to actually view the lot for us. What would be the pros and cons of this approach? Has anyone done it this way?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.