What do people think when they hear your first name?

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran member
Default How I got my name

I was named after the lady who raised my dad and whom I called Granny. Her name was Josephine and my parents added Anne after another friend of Granny's. However I was called JoAnne. At university I was called Jo and then after my first husband died, I married Joseph so we became Jo & Joe, which got very confusing.

In the early 90's a friend of ours was into numerology and we were playing with numbers and birthdates and names and none of the numbers matched up, so he asked if we had a nickname. My husband used Michael at his work place as there were so many Joes and my niece called me Aunty Joyanne as she couldn't pronounce JoAnne.

And when we worked out the numbers for those names, they worked perfectly, so we started using Michael & Joyanne which we still use to this day.

I never liked, Josephine or Joseph and apparently you hear your name so much and you identify with the sound, so it apparently is good to have a name that you enjoy hearing.

From the day we decided to use our new names, the business took off and we haven't looked back. I get lots of positive comments when asked my name and I smile everytime I hear it said. And my husband "looks" like a Michael if that is possible.

Anyway that's my story and I'm stick ing to it!

We will be in TV in a week and I can't wait. It is getting colder up here in Canada and the warmth of Florida sure is beckoning. We are planning to make it to Crisper's for lunch while we are down for Oct and Nov. Our schedule tends to move around the clogging and R& B linedancing!

Hope our paths cross.

Ciao for now,
Joyanne
Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 PM

People assume I am Irish because of the first name (and my reddish hair) but I am half Scottish and half French-Canadian. Before I ws born, my mom and grandmother where disagreeing on what to name me if I was a girl so my dad looked at the list of baby names in the back of the dictionary and came to Colleen and everyone liked the name so Colleen it was!
Old 09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Sage

I would like to think that people think, "good old Joe", as in a good person.

Never asked my parents who I was named after, but I think it might have been for my grandfather, Jose. Not pronounce "hose" because in Portugese, the J is said as a "j", ie Joe Se. Mother was Italian so it could have been Guisseppe. I do know they wanted it americanized, so my name is Joseph.

They are so many Joe's in my family and my two brothers middle name is Joseph, (not much for originalty). Their was also a lot of Joe's in my old neighborhood so I guess it was a very popular name for a while.

I won't say my childhood nickname because I did not like it.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
C'mon Joe, you can tell us!!!!

Bill
Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Sage
Talking

Originally Posted by 2BNTV

Posted by Bill-n-Brrillo:

C'mon Joe, you can tell us!!!!

Bill

It's not anything bad because my family still refers to it as they are too many Joe's but I think I'll refrain from giving that info out. I only refer to it out of habit in indentifying which Joe there are talking to when phoning them or when the family is together with several Joe's present.

Some people go through all their life being called their chilhood nickname and they don't mind.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'll control my impulse to blab it out.

My family still thinks I work for the CIA as I don't let out any secrets.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
My family still thinks I work for the CIA as I don't let out any secrets.
"Bill, I could tell you.................but then I'd have to kill you!"

No problem-o, Joe.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.