what to expect from Comcast/Xfinity

Old 12-25-2023, 05:28 PM
Default what to expect from Comcast/Xfinity

SEASONS GREETINGS
We are moving to the Village of Piedmont in mid January, and
we are wondering if Xfinity has upgraded to FIBER-OPTIC ??
Old 12-25-2023, 07:46 PM

Did you ask Comcast?
Old 12-25-2023, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicRoDrafting View Post
SEASONS GREETINGS
What’s to expect from xfinity, that’s a no brainer. Expect the best, most reliable, fastest service available. On the other hand, also expect a bait and switch offer, with a very competitive initial price. Unfortunately, that price will go up significantly once the initial suck you in offer expires. Then expect the fact that you will be hooked on the service and will be in a forever endless loop of waiting on hold with their customer service to renegotiate a price that isn’t offered to loyal long term customers. Unfortunately, our only internet option besides satellite at both of our homes is Comcast. They know it, and price gouge us. I can’t blame them, that’s how it works. But competition is a wonderful thing. Good luck : )
Old 12-25-2023, 09:45 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
What’s to expect from xfinity, that’s a no brainer. Expect the best, most reliable, fastest service available. On the other hand, also expect a bait and switch offer, with a very competitive initial price. Unfortunately, that price will go up significantly once the initial suck you in offer expires. Then expect the fact that you will be hooked on the service and will be in a forever endless loop of waiting on hold with their customer service to renegotiate a price that isn’t offered to loyal long term customers. Unfortunately, our only internet option besides satellite at both of our homes is Comcast. They know it, and price gouge us. I can’t blame them, that’s how it works. But competition is a wonderful thing. Good luck : )
Expect what ? Comcast to bait and switch (or as they would say, no "switch", just a rate "adjustment"....lol ! So the attractive $99 mentioned is over $200 before you know it, fact of life everywhere any more. Yes, good luck.
Old 12-26-2023, 05:24 AM

I am STUCK with Xfinity/Comcost and if you need any sort of assistance it is next to impossible to get a human and if you do it is after quite some time navigating the bot. I had Verizon but not offered in TV.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:25 AM
Sage

As already suggested, you should probably call them and ask. However, it doesn't make that much of a difference. The Xfinity trunk lines (for lack of a better term) are probably fiber but the last 50 feet to the house is coax. There are providers that will give you fiber to the house, depending on where you live. For example, Quantum Fiber (aka CenturyLink) offers fiber to the house is some areas of The Villages. Centric Fiber also apparently offers fiber to the house in some areas south of 44. Spectrum is also available in some ares of The Villages but they use, as far as I know, coax for the last 50 feet. There are also 5G cellular network based internet providers (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon), but I digress. Regardless of whether the last 50 feet are coax or fiber, there is much more available bandwidth than you can consume, unless you are doing something extraordinary. One advantage of fiber to the house is that you will typically get a dynamic IP address to an RJ-45 ethernet jack in your house, which means you can plug any computer or router into that jack. With a coax for the last 50 feet, you will typically have to use a provided or approved modem/router to connect to a coax jack. Welcome to The Villages and I hope the move goes smoothly.

Quote:
SEASONS GREETINGS

Last edited by biker1; 12-26-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:29 AM
Default Why?

Quote:
SEASONS GREETINGS
Why are you looking at Concast?
If its your only option, suggest getting high speed internet only ($50ish/mth) and go to streaming.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Sage

///
Old 12-26-2023, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY41 View Post
I am STUCK with Xfinity/Comcost and if you need any sort of assistance it is next to impossible to get a human and if you do it is after quite some time navigating the bot. I had Verizon but not offered in TV.
You can go online and make an appointment for their store located near Best Buy on Rt 441. The people there are very helpful.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
SEASONS GREETINGS
No and there is only one Fiber Optic line in the villages but it is not everywhere. I will note that Comcast is the worst company to deal with when it comes to customer service! Spectrum is so much better!
Old 12-26-2023, 09:53 PM
Gold member

Network Latency is the bottleneck...Doesn't matter if its fiber or coax.
100Mbps is more than enough bandwidth...Latency kills reliable speed.
Comcast Coax Latency is typically 30ms in TV. When I had Verizon FIOS, it was 3ms.

Centric or Centurylink fiber latency is typically, what?

Last edited by MorTech; 12-26-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:56 PM
Gold member

All the internet/cable customer service departments are awful. The turnover is huge. Being a customer service rep for a internet/cable provider has got to be the worst job...right up there with Microsoft and Apple. As people who have worked in a computer related customer service job say on their first day...Customers Suck!
Old 12-27-2023, 04:52 AM

Look into YOUTUBE TV. I just got it streaming and live television for $89.00 a month. 125 channels just like the Comcast television.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:42 AM
Default Xfinity

We have found that going to the Comcast store itself is way better than waiting on hold for someone to pick up the call. The people in the store are much better to deal with.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by massachusettskid View Post
Look into YOUTUBE TV. I just got it streaming and live television for $89.00 a month. 125 channels just like the Comcast television.
We are strongly considering YoutubeTV, but are trying to determine one key thing before signing up and are wondering if your experience can help. Are you able to seamlessly stream at two separate locations? We split our time between the Villages and our home in Massachusetts throughout the year and want a service that doesn’t limit where we can utilize the service. Also, there are occasions when one of us is at each home. Can we both stream from separate locations simultaneously? Any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated (it’s next to impossible to actual speak to a customer service representative and our questions are not adequately addressed in the on line frequently asked questions).

Tags
upgraded, xfinity, wondering, january, mid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.