what to expect from Comcast/Xfinity

Old 12-27-2023, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

Set a couple of things straight. Comcast/spectrum is an all copper network I doesn’t matter if fiber is used somewhere in its network path, the copper network is compromised and the more network traffic, people using the network at the same time, performance will tank.. Copper networks might have decent download speeds but that all have higher latencies and very slow upload speeds. Also, it doesn’t matter which network provider you use, you will not get a rj-45 connection, fiber or no fiber. Most people will just use wifi which is slow.
If you can get fiber to your house, this will be the best network you can get and probably at the cheapest cost.
Also there is at least 2 fiber companies that offer internet, the newest company is for the newer areas south of 44.
Old 12-27-2023, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Set a couple of things straight. Comcast/spectrum is an all copper network I doesn’t matter if fiber is used somewhere in its network path, the copper network is compromised and the more network traffic, people using the network at the same time, performance will tank.. Copper networks might have decent download speeds but that all have higher latencies and very slow upload speeds. Also, it doesn’t matter which network provider you use, you will not get a rj-45 connection, fiber or no fiber. Most people will just use wifi which is slow.
If you can get fiber to your house, this will be the best network you can get and probably at the cheapest cost.
Also there is at least 2 fiber companies that offer internet, the newest company is for the newer areas south of 44.
To slightly disagree...

The Quantum fiber offer of 500mbps up and down comes with up to four wifi "pods"
Each of the pods has 2 rj45 (ethernet) connections. True that you are still limited by wifi speeds to the pods. The wifi speed to my phone, which is in my front office while the pod is in the living room, is 398 down and 169 up.

What I also did, which was quite easy, was to take the telephone cables and change the plug and wall plate to RJ45 and put a $25 switch in the low voltage box where all of the phone cables go and the Quantum modem is there. This gives me ethernet to every room in my house. My ethernet speeds are 495 down and 949 (yes 949) up. My speeds are measured by speedtest.net.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:31 PM
Sage

Not true. QuantumFiber (aka CenturyLink) gives you an RJ-45 jack in the wall with a dynamic IP address somewhere in your home that you specify (typically where you want your router). In my case, the connection to the wall jack is via cat5e cable (in the walls during construction) from the RJ-45 jack in the QuantumFiber box in the low-voltage panel in the garage. Most people will plug in a Wi-Fi router but you could plug in a computer or a VoIP phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post

Last edited by biker1; 12-27-2023 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:47 PM

I live in Piedmont, have Centurylink 1Ghz internet, fiber terminates in my office. $65 mo total for life, now they charge $70.
We've not had any issues or disruptions to this service. We stream YouTube TV, been doing this for about 4 years.
Highly recommend.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicRoDrafting View Post
SEASONS GREETINGS
We are moving to the Village of Piedmont in mid January, and
we are wondering if Xfinity has upgraded to FIBER-OPTIC ??

You can expect large monthly pay out the little to no support.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Expect what ? Comcast to bait and switch (or as they would say, no "switch", just a rate "adjustment"....lol ! So the attractive $99 mentioned is over $200 before you know it, fact of life everywhere any more. Yes, good luck.
It's $50 at my house for 200mbps, which is more than most people will ever need. Every year around 2 weeks before the contract expires, I call them to tell them I want the new $50/month deal. They give me a hard time, I give them a hard time, and 20 minutes later I have my new $50/month contract for another year.

I do the same with the phone company every couple of years when I notice the bill's gone up. I just call them and tell them I have no contract and want the current special that includes only the features I want, and nothing more.
Old 12-28-2023, 12:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
Have had Comcast & now Spectrum. Both are great. We are paying $39 / month for 1GB for 2 years(supposedly ) - no contract.

Go for price.
If one goes up, switch to the other.
Playing one off the other is really the easiest way to get the lowest price...And both use cable modem so purchase a CAX80 or certified equivalent.
Old 12-28-2023, 12:58 AM
Gold member

" If you are moving into a newer area, they are all pre-wired for Centric Fiber (modem, router, Wi-Fi) before you even move in (it's actually active before you close and set up your account), so zero delay in getting service from the second you close on the house. "

I was wondering when TV was going to do this Do you know the price of their lowest price/speed base service ?
Old 12-28-2023, 02:46 PM

Here is what you can expect from Comcast:

Endless and repeated billing issues that never seem to be resolved even though you spend hours on the phone with their so-called "customer service". I have NEVER not had a billing issue with them in the 30 some odd years that I have had the misfortune of dealing with their monopoly.

Fortunately, now, there are some more choices. I will NEVER do business with this company again and warn everyone I know to steer clear of them!
Old 12-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

We have had xfinity for the four years we lived here. Price reasonable when we moved in but every year a large increase. Now reached a point where we are not hppy with cost and when I called to complain they offered me a 5% reduction. Asked them where we return the boxes and lady on the phone obviously could care less.

Had a problem with voice remote and could not believe how hard it was to find a phone number to contact them. Never did fix it and mostly find shows manually.

We are looking to change and expect to do so shortly.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have had xfinity for the four years we lived here. Price reasonable when we moved in but every year a large increase. Now reached a point where we are not hppy with cost and when I called to complain they offered me a 5% reduction. Asked them where we return the boxes and lady on the phone obviously could care less.

Had a problem with voice remote and could not believe how hard it was to find a phone number to contact them. Never did fix it and mostly find shows manually.

We are looking to change and expect to do so shortly.
You know there are xfinity/comcast stores scattered around the Villages. You can just bring your remote in and they'll swap it out for a new one after confirming your account.

Also try what I've been doing, ever since Comcast was a thing - even up north.

You tell them, just 2 weeks before your contract expires, that you want the new deal. To find the new deal, go to their website but do NOT log in. Instead, enter the address of any home in your neighborhood you know that is currently vacant/for sale (it means it's an address that doesn't currently have service). Then check for special introductory deals at that address.

They'll tell you it's an introductory deal, not for existing customers. Tell them that's fine, you'll just cancel your service. Since you're only 2 weeks out from the expiration of your current contract, there's no penalty for cancelling early. But tell them you will cancel - and then call them back to sign up as a new customer, thus qualifying for the introductory deal that you wanted them to give you.

Tell them - you can do it that way, or they can save themselves time, energy, and inconvenience, by simply giving you that deal right then and there over the phone.

They *might* say that "previous subscribers ineligible" and you can then say no problem, you'll cancel anyway, and go to Spectrum (or whatever else is in your area). At that point they'll cave and extend your existing deal (which is ALWAYS the deal you'll find for new customers) another year.

As I said - it's around 20 minutes of inconvenience, for another year of lowered prices. When we moved in, we were paying $50/month for 100mbps. We're now paying $50/month for 200mbps. This is our 4th year living here, we're going on year 5.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 12-28-2023 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You know there are xfinity/comcast stores scattered around the Villages. You can just bring your remote in and they'll swap it out for a new one after confirming your account.

Also try what I've been doing, ever since Comcast was a thing - even up north.

You tell them, just 2 weeks before your contract expires, that you want the new deal. To find the new deal, go to their website but do NOT log in. Instead, enter the address of any home in your neighborhood you know that is currently vacant/for sale (it means it's an address that doesn't currently have service). Then check for special introductory deals at that address.

They'll tell you it's an introductory deal, not for existing customers. Tell them that's fine, you'll just cancel your service. Since you're only 2 weeks out from the expiration of your current contract, there's no penalty for cancelling early. But tell them you will cancel - and then call them back to sign up as a new customer, thus qualifying for the introductory deal that you wanted them to give you.

Tell them - you can do it that way, or they can save themselves time, energy, and inconvenience, by simply giving you that deal right then and there over the phone.

They *might* say that "previous subscribers ineligible" and you can then say no problem, you'll cancel anyway, and go to Spectrum (or whatever else is in your area). At that point they'll cave and extend your existing deal (which is ALWAYS the deal you'll find for new customers) another year.

As I said - it's around 20 minutes of inconvenience, for another year of lowered prices. When we moved in, we were paying $50/month for 100mbps. We're now paying $50/month for 200mbps. This is our 4th year living here, we're going on year 5.
I played that game with the retention dept and than a muckemuck higher up the food chain and got nowhere. Doing research think I can get a lot more for less with others.

BTW they sent me two new remotes and same problem. Found two techs in the area explained problem and they had no clue what might be going on.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:46 AM
Veteran member

Just an FYI on the above post about getting the new deal, you may need to delete your cache/cookies before you can find the new deal. I tried that before and the cookies showed them I was not a new customer and I couldn't find the new subscriber info. Deleting history fixed that issue.

In addition: Take screen shots of everything included in the deal. Have them handy. When I was a subscriber in MA I had a deal which included local sports (NESN) and a bunch of HD channels. After 3 months they removed those and told me it was an introductory for 3 months. That was absolutely not true. My deal was for 2 years. Well I had no proof and the deal was no longer offered. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Anyhow I haven't had any problems with them after switching to internet only.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
I played that game with the retention dept and than a muckemuck higher up the food chain and got nowhere. Doing research think I can get a lot more for less with others.

BTW they sent me two new remotes and same problem. Found two techs in the area explained problem and they had no clue what might be going on.
Around my neighborhood, xfinity is the best I can get. The only other options are AT&T internet "Air" (which is horrible) for $55/month, or 3 (yes, THREE) mbps for $55/month. Spectrum is not available at my house.

I wouldn't switch at all. But xfinity doesn't have to know that. So far it's worked every year.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:01 AM
Default XFinity

We had X Finity in NH. I wouldn’t recommend it. Hopefully we enjoy the fiber service in Dabney.

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA

Tags
upgraded, xfinity, wondering, january, mid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.