What questions to ask Salesperson during Lifestyle Visit

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2023, 10:15 AM
Default What questions to ask Salesperson during Lifestyle Visit

Long time lurker to the forum but first post. I just booked a lifestyle visit for June. My wife & I want to look at some houses of course - we're leaning towards CYV because we have a dog and would like a fenced in yard. I'm leaning towards a new house while my wife is leaning towards a more established house / village. We have been to TV twice but only for a day at a time - this will be our first extended visit.

I'm aware of the North v South debates and also understand there really is no bad place to live in TV. I'm curious as to if there are better locations in terms of bonds / taxes.

I have read comments on other threads that the salespeople don't necessarily volunteer information. I'm wondering what questions / information do you wish you had asked for while you looking for your house.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:51 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I asked about the bond on new houses. My first salesman hemmed and hawed about it. I never did get a straight answer. He also showed and steered me toward new homes only and evaded showing me any resales whatsoever after repeated requests. Needless to say I changed agents for my next trip to TV.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-14-2023, 12:20 PM

We asked about hidden costs. We wanted to know EXACTLY whatr TV charges, water, electricity, gas. etc. etc.
Old 02-14-2023, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Make very sure you understand the lot access and the use of the gate, your neighbor gets to use the gate (your gate) to get access to the side of their house, so you cannot lock it unless you give them a key. I point this out since you have a dog. Once we understood the dual access situation, villas were out of consideration. The other item, if you dog happens to bark a lot, this may be a problem for your very close neighbors. The garages tend to be small, make sure your vehicle will fit, and a golf cart if you intend to get one. Very limited parking in villas. All of this was from 9 years ago, so there may be some differences in the newer sections.

You may need to get a MLS realtor (for resale homes) and a Villages agent (for new homes).
Old 02-14-2023, 12:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Don’t let your dog drive your house decision. We have a dog, no fence. It’s easy to walk him 2 or 3 times a day. It’s too hot, you wont leave him out much.
We have a birdcage, so he can go outside if he wants.

Don’t believe anything they tell you about what is being built and when (i.e. a new golf course, a Publix, a CVS, etc). Plans now, are just that, plans. Buy based on what’s there now.
Old 02-14-2023, 01:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Buying south is less retail establishments, ( we love less traffic, and the trucks that supply them) but unless you are a person who has to shop everyday, driving 5-15 minutes every 5-10 days is not a big deal. Up north we drove 45 minutes just to get to a decent grocery.

People will tell you buy resale so you are close to physicians , if you see a physician once a week then by all means find your guys first then buy. But if you are a regular person who has check ups every 6 months to a year, then buy wherever.

Some think being near square or venue is the most important, for many that’s true for awhile, then you find multiple things, clubs to join, and new people to see. That town square becomes lower on your list,

View is important, If you have a Cow Pasture behind your house, next month it could become a big box store, apartments, or car wash. There are very few flood zone issues in TV, live Oaks are protected, and pets rule many lives.

In the south, There is a prison (with rumors of lights, loud speakers, sirens, and possibly an escape, no worries on any of this). The power lines which some are not a fan(me included), and the turnpike, which may or may not bother you, anymore than living by or blocks away from 44, 466, 466A, Morse, or BV.

It’s not a race TV will be building long after many have taken dirt nap, and there will always be a house for sale. That said we are on our fourth house in TV, just keep moving farther South, along with the progress of new things to come.
Old 02-14-2023, 02:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Buying south is less retail establishments, ( we love less traffic, and the trucks that supply them) but unless you are a person who has to shop everyday, driving 5-15 minutes every 5-10 days is not a big deal. Up north we drove 45 minutes just to get to a decent grocery.

People will tell you buy resale so you are close to physicians , if you see a physician once a week then by all means find your guys first then buy. But if you are a regular person who has check ups every 6 months to a year, then buy wherever.

Some think being near square or venue is the most important, for many that’s true for awhile, then you find multiple things, clubs to join, and new people to see. That town square becomes lower on your list,

View is important, If you have a Cow Pasture behind your house, next month it could become a big box store, apartments, or car wash. There are very few flood zone issues in TV, live Oaks are protected, and pets rule many lives.

In the south, There is a prison (with rumors of lights, loud speakers, sirens, and possibly an escape, no worries on any of this). The power lines which some are not a fan(me included), and the turnpike, which may or may not bother you, anymore than living by or blocks away from 44, 466, 466A, Morse, or BV.

It’s not a race TV will be building long after many have taken dirt nap, and there will always be a house for sale. That said we are on our fourth house in TV, just keep moving farther South, along with the progress of new things to come.
And the award for excellence in posting goes to ...

Well said and right on point.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Lots of info here:

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
Old 02-14-2023, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post

His point on squares is spot on. UNLESS - you LOVE to dance.

We thought we HAD to live near LSL, that was our point of reference in our visits. We ended up closer to Brownwood. We will go down occasionally, for a walk, and com home - but we actually like Sawgrass better. It all changes when you get here.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Questions to agent, wait for them to give you info about bond (most preowned have some bond left depending on age of home) very few pay bond off, all new homes have a bond.

If your agent does not tell you about the cost of living in TV including the bond, you can request a different agent.

If you want to see preowned, and you are only being shown new, walk away, It’s not hard to find a good agent here, we are on our third and last agent that we finally trust.

Your agent is a life line, will help navigate TV, finding the correct house, go to your walk through, and be there for your closing. Then keeps in touch with you, answers your texts, if something goes wrong.

Above all take your time, as I stated we are on our 4th home, not because we made mistakes but life changes, and TV for us is the easiest to buy, sell, and move out of any place we have lived.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
We asked about hidden costs. We wanted to know EXACTLY whatr TV charges, water, electricity, gas. etc. etc.
Gas, electric, and water is very expensive here. I am in Richmond. TECO the gas company charges $1 per day for service plus you pay for the gas usage. The same for SECO, they charge $1 per day, plus you pay for the electric usage. My last house had FPL Florida Power and Light, our monthly bill was lower. FPL does not have a daily charge.
Old 02-14-2023, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I asked about the bond on new houses. My first salesman hemmed and hawed about it. I never did get a straight answer. He also showed and steered me toward new homes only and evaded showing me any resales whatsoever after repeated requests. Needless to say I changed agents for my next trip to TV.
People need to do their homework, the Rep's do not represrnt the buyet.

Bond info available here:
So

Bond Amortization Schedules
Old 02-14-2023, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The other item, if you dog happens to bark a lot, this may be a problem for your very close neighbors.
I've wondered about this. Many people like to spend time in their lanai/birdcage area - if your neighbor has a dog that barks day and night, that could really put a damper on those sunrise coffees and sunset wines. Is there anything that could be done in that situation, or is it the tired "If you don't like it . . . move!" answer? Does anyone know of situations like that occurring in the past, and if so, how they were resolved?
Old 02-14-2023, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,086 Times in 2,747 Posts

When are they going to build some real friggin golf courses south of 44 that aren’t running along the turnpike?
Old 02-14-2023, 10:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
When are they going to build some real friggin golf courses south of 44 that aren’t running along the turnpike?
You mean like: Red Fox, Grey Fox, Lowlands, Loblolly, Longleaf???

And the following (and more...) in work?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	E0F09BC4-20A0-4396-9ED6-8891B0B9DE7D.jpg
Views:	2531
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	96935  
Closed Thread

Tags
house, visit, leaning, questions, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.