What questions to ask Salesperson during Lifestyle Visit

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2023, 11:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

First off, here you get a lot of the complainers. We bought a CYV 4 years ago and love it. We bought new because we wanted a new house plus the older once did not have the shower we wanted in the master bath. We wanted a tiled shower with no lip to enter so I could be rolled in if I end up in a wheelchair. The older homes we looked at had shower enclosures with a 4 inch lip and sliding glass doors which was not what we wanted.

The fenced in yard is nice and very private. The only reason a neighbor would need to enter through your gate would be to maintain the side of their house that faces you, other than that you have full control ad to what happens in that area of the yard. I have never been through my neighbors gate in the 4 years. My neighbors on both sides are great.

We did look at many designer homes over a 5 year period before we decided a CYV would be best. Our thinking was why go big as we get older. Our villa is very manageable both the house and yard. We still have a 3 bedroom with over 1400 sq feet which is more than enough for 2 people. We leave our car in the driveway and park our 2 golf carts in the garage. We have a garage and a half with a curved driveway but the ones being built today are mostly 2 car garages with a straight driveway which is plenty of space for a car and a cart or 2.

Expenses are expenses and water, electric and gas are different for every resident. I feel the important question today is how to go about winning a bid. Houses seem to get released and within an hour or less they are all under contract. You need to ask the agent how they would handle that on your behalf.

I wish you luck.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:28 AM
Veteran member

Some obvious and not so obvious things to think about:

Direction lanai is facing - afternoon direct sun is the least ideal to some

Natural gas available - not all homes have this available, and we personally love our gas stove and dryer

Distance to closest community pool/postal station

Distance to nearest Regional Rec Center

How far to nearest grocery store by car and golf cart

Distance to nearest golf cart accessible gas station
Old 02-15-2023, 02:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
I've wondered about this. Many people like to spend time in their lanai/birdcage area - if your neighbor has a dog that barks day and night, that could really put a damper on those sunrise coffees and sunset wines. Is there anything that could be done in that situation, or is it the tired "If you don't like it . . . move!" answer? Does anyone know of situations like that occurring in the past, and if so, how they were resolved?
In 07 we thought CYV was for us, so our next lifestyle for 7 days at creakside landing. First thing that we really noticed was how noise bounced around. We could hear phone conversations of people sitting on their lanai, while we were trying to enjoy our lanai. Mind you we spend 70% of our time out in the lanai, or birdcage. Not sure if hearing was the problem, but one conversation I could clearly listen while a person gave their CC number. Music and TV noise also bothered us, but neither of us have hearing issues.

The barking dog maybe 2-3 houses over was the deciding factor. Not all pet owners are responsible, or consider others when their pet is involved. And NO there is really nothing one can do to stop the barking, since the owner has no issues with it. Yes the easiest thing to do is move.

When our agent stopped by, on day 3 we told him stop looking for CYV. He smiled and said I kind of had a feeling that would be the case, so that’s why I put you here.

Mindful that many love their CYV and their neighbors, it just not something we would have lived in for more than a year
Old 02-15-2023, 06:15 AM

Ask why on the South and new side the sales people don't point out the following: Loud turn pike noise, no shops and no stores and no land reserved to build any. You'd best buy on the North side.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:20 AM
Default How far is the best question to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
Long time lurker to the forum but first post. I just booked a lifestyle visit for June. My wife & I want to look at some houses of course - we're leaning towards CYV because we have a dog and would like a fenced in yard. I'm leaning towards a new house while my wife is leaning towards a more established house / village. We have been to TV twice but only for a day at a time - this will be our first extended visit.

I'm aware of the North v South debates and also understand there really is no bad place to live in TV. I'm curious as to if there are better locations in terms of bonds / taxes.

I have read comments on other threads that the salespeople don't necessarily volunteer information. I'm wondering what questions / information do you wish you had asked for while you looking for your house.
How far by golf cart are the town squares. How far to a gas station. How far to a grocery store. How far to sewage treatment plant. How far to the dump. Smells travel for the last two. How far to a dog park. How far to shopping like home improvement/clothes. How far to restaurants in and out of the Villages. How far is freeway access. How Close is the Freeway. How far is medical treatment. After that, How Much? Car insurance, Sink Hole insurance, car registration, golf cart insurance. If buying used How Old. Roofs are only good for 15 years if you want to have house insurance. HVAC lasts about as long. I think that's a good starting point.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

the question to ask is........What are you NOT telling me
Old 02-15-2023, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

We chose a CYV over other models , privacy , lanai was not within earshot or site of backyard neighbor , everyone within the villa watches out for everyone , no through traffic , unknown cars scrutinized , ours has an open back view of golf course and on a dead end street .mature landscaping close shopping and within 1 mile of 2 swimming pools and 4 exec golf courses, a rec center within 2 miles.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Make very sure you understand the lot access and the use of the gate, your neighbor gets to use the gate (your gate) to get access to the side of their house, so you cannot lock it unless you give them a key. I point this out since you have a dog. Once we understood the dual access situation, villas were out of consideration. The other item, if you dog happens to bark a lot, this may be a problem for your very close neighbors. The garages tend to be small, make sure your vehicle will fit, and a golf cart if you intend to get one. Very limited parking in villas. All of this was from 9 years ago, so there may be some differences in the newer sections.

You may need to get a MLS realtor (for resale homes) and a Villages agent (for new homes).
We have a CYV and we lock our gate as do most of our neighbors with dogs. Our neighbors are aware of it and if they need to get back there they just ask, it’s never been a problem. Just pointing it out because it really is not a problem as there is very little reason to ever go on that side of our house. Most of the houses in our neighborhood are full 2 car garages, some also have golf cart garages. We are south of 44, mostly because we could not find a villa with a larger garage north of 44.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Buying south is less retail establishments, ( we love less traffic, and the trucks that supply them) but unless you are a person who has to shop everyday, driving 5-15 minutes every 5-10 days is not a big deal. Up north we drove 45 minutes just to get to a decent grocery.

People will tell you buy resale so you are close to physicians , if you see a physician once a week then by all means find your guys first then buy. But if you are a regular person who has check ups every 6 months to a year, then buy wherever.

Some think being near square or venue is the most important, for many that’s true for awhile, then you find multiple things, clubs to join, and new people to see. That town square becomes lower on your list,

View is important, If you have a Cow Pasture behind your house, next month it could become a big box store, apartments, or car wash. There are very few flood zone issues in TV, live Oaks are protected, and pets rule many lives.

In the south, There is a prison (with rumors of lights, loud speakers, sirens, and possibly an escape, no worries on any of this). The power lines which some are not a fan(me included), and the turnpike, which may or may not bother you, anymore than living by or blocks away from 44, 466, 466A, Morse, or BV.

It’s not a race TV will be building long after many have taken dirt nap, and there will always be a house for sale. That said we are on our fourth house in TV, just keep moving farther South, along with the progress of new things to come.
Well said!
Old 02-15-2023, 06:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Ask why on the South and new side the sales people don't point out the following: Loud turn pike noise, no shops and no stores and no land reserved to build any. You'd best buy on the North side.
Seriously do you think everyone is blind when they look at TV? One can see shopping areas, and vacant land that has signs up for construction. Agent will tell you here is where ————— is being built, problem is it takes twice the time as predicted. There are 3 large properties south of Brownwood that is zoned commercial, I hope it take years to build, to keep traffic north. I can drive 10 minutes to shop.

As for the turnpike pike, if you are blind, and deaf my guess is you would not notice it, and your agent won’t have to point them out. But many lots you can see the turnpike, those with walls you can hear the turnpike, just like you can hear traffic on 44, 466, 466a, Morse, or BV. One doesn’t need an agent to point out what is right in front of you. I can faintly hear the train in Duval, isn’t that North of here?

You really need to bone up the Northern advice, you forgot “Coleman Prison, Power Lines, no flowers, and no new Town Square”.

New buyers seem to be very young South of Brownwood, my guess is they have great vision, hearing, and the ability to invest in their future. 13 houses on our new street in Richmond came from the Northern section of TV, we say we moved from what used to be “The Middle of TV”
Old 02-15-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
When are they going to build some real friggin golf courses south of 44 that aren’t running along the turnpike?
Why is that a problem?
Old 02-15-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
Gas, electric, and water is very expensive here. I am in Richmond. TECO the gas company charges $1 per day for service plus you pay for the gas usage. The same for SECO, they charge $1 per day, plus you pay for the electric usage. My last house had FPL Florida Power and Light, our monthly bill was lower. FPL does not have a daily charge.
Not sure about the others but TECO doesn’t charge $1 a day plus usage. My bill is about $25 per month and we use it for hot water, clothes dryer and cooking.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
Not sure about the others but TECO doesn’t charge $1 a day plus usage. My bill is about $25 per month and we use it for hot water, clothes dryer and cooking.
They might be confusing the deposit, ($80) and set up fee ($25) on first bill with usage
Old 02-15-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Some obvious and not so obvious things to think about:

Direction lanai is facing - afternoon direct sun is the least ideal to some

Natural gas available - not all homes have this available, and we personally love our gas stove and dryer

Distance to closest community pool/postal station

Distance to nearest Regional Rec Center

How far to nearest grocery store by car and golf cart

Distance to nearest golf cart accessible gas station
I use Kroger delivery so the distance to the grocery store is not that much of an issue
Old 02-15-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
I enjoy frequent ambulance sirens, short term rental signs and beautiful views of assisting living facilities thats why I bought on the North Side
Closed Thread

Tags
house, visit, leaning, questions, wife

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.