Whole house surge protector

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2021, 10:46 AM
Default Surge Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
SECO is offering a “Surge Mitigator” for $349 outright purchase or $6 per month “rental”

Appears to “help” prevent surges right at the meter before it comes into your house. It only prevents spikes that would affect large appliances. They still recommend “point of use” protection for electronic equipment

I had a whole house surge protector installed inside my Pennsylvania home at the service panel itself. Was recommended by an electrician I trust who was also a volley fire captain and now a close friend.

My questions:

A) why being asked to pay extra for protection before SECO service enters the house? Shouldn’t they provide reliable service? Why don’t they include that within their pricing and give to all customers?

B). Wouldn’t a whole house surge protector at the panel be just as good ... or better?

C). Perhaps a combination of both?

Greatly appreciate any and all experience/thoughts on this from a Florida perspective. Fl and PA weather/storms a lot different

Yes. I should ask a Florida electrician to make a good cost benefit recommendation. Anyone know of such an electrician??
1.) SECO has provided us with excellent service for almost 5 years.
2.) Yes a surge protector at the panel would be just as effective.
3.) A combination may be over the top but there should be no issues with it. If a spike were to get through the surge protector under the meter the second one at the entrance feed to the panel may block it.

My 2 cents....We have maintained a provider serviced surge protector for years. The major benefit is it protect motor driven appliances. We have had 2 instances at our home (not in the villages), of surges that damaged our appliances. The electric company covered the appliances and paid for the lost food in the freezers and refrigerator. In one strike we also lost our deep well pump. With this in mind on our new home we had one installed.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:08 AM

We are all living in the lightning capital of the world. Our house in TV have been struck a total of 3 times, and it is tough on the garage door opener, sprinkler system, cable modem, etc. Well we now rent the surge protector and the lightning is no longer an issue. It's really not that expensive for heaven's sake.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:23 AM

SECA offers $7,500 (?) warranty. Eaton offers $75,000 warranty. I've installed lots of Eatons for $200- $250. They do work if installed before lightning strike, not after. Walter 352 775 4245
Old 02-12-2021, 11:32 AM

You really need to look at the fine print. I have a SECO installed surge protector on the meter we pay $6/mo for. When I lost two tv’s after a surge I called SECO and found out it is set for 240 volts which covers only the ac units. All other appliances/tv require additional plug surge protectors they sell for $60. The warranty is through the companies that produce the plug surge protectors. The SECO surge protectors are definitely not worth installing, but I would install a whole house protector set at 120v, by a local electrician.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:57 AM

That is great! But after 20 years here without ever a problem..i dont think i need one.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I agree. I paid in full 10 years ago, have had several bad lightning storms, and have had no problems. I also put surge protectors on each and every gadget in my house.
I read somewhere that Tampa was the lightning capital of the WORLD. If that is true, then TV Land may be high on THAT world list.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Also from PA, also had a panel mounted protector.....moved here had a whole house panel protector installed and put battery back ups on the important stuff (TV, Cable Box, Computer, Router etc) and surge protectors on second layer of stuff (printer, phone chargers etc. Some stuff is only protected by the whole house protector (the stuff that I really want to upgrade but won't because it still works). Several homes in our neighborhood have had near strikes and their home owners covered what was damaged so out of pocket was minimal.....but the pita getting it all replaced was huge.
I wonder if their insurance went up also?
Old 02-12-2021, 01:33 PM

We currently live in GA and will move to the Villages in 5 years when I retire. Anyway, we had a whole house surge protector installed by Mr. Sparky electrical service about 20 years ago and I am almost certain that we paid at least if not more than what you are stating yours will cost. About 10 years ago squirrels chewed on the neutral wire at the electrical pole outside of our house, causing an electrical overload that if not for the surge protector could have caught our house on fire or at least destroyed our electronics and household appliances. I have never seen lightbulbs glow so brightly as ours did right before the whole house surge protector burned up and the power went out. Needless to say the whole house surge protector did it's job and sacrificed itself. We IMMEDIATELY had a new one installed once the power company re-ran the neutral and our power was restored. Maybe what happened to us was a very rare occurrence but I will never live in a house that does not have a whole house surge protector. Having that small piece of equipment installed is worth every penny in my opinion.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:35 PM

I should have added that our surge protector was installed at the panel... a very small rectangular unit.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
SECO is offering a “Surge Mitigator” for $349 outright purchase or $6 per month “rental”

Appears to “help” prevent surges right at the meter before it comes into your house. It only prevents spikes that would affect large appliances. They still recommend “point of use” protection for electronic equipment

I had a whole house surge protector installed inside my Pennsylvania home at the service panel itself. Was recommended by an electrician I trust who was also a volley fire captain and now a close friend.

My questions:

A) why being asked to pay extra for protection before SECO service enters the house? Shouldn’t they provide reliable service? Why don’t they include that within their pricing and give to all customers?

B). Wouldn’t a whole house surge protector at the panel be just as good ... or better?

Greatly appreciate any and all experience/thoughts on this from a Florida perspective. Fl and PA weather/storms a lot different

Yes. I should ask a Florida electrician to make a good cost benefit recommendation. Anyone know of such an electrician??

I installed “whole-house surge protection” inside my (central) circuit breaker box. Subsequently, lightning struck the large oak tree in my front yard. The lightning energy traveled down the tree and blew a hole in the water pipe that entered my home; I had to have the water company turn off the water supply to my house. The hole was between the meter and my home; therefore, the cost of the repair was mine.

My computer setup inside my home was near the tree. The energy surge took out the Comcast cable modem and an interface box for the telephone-via-internet. I did have local surge protection for my PC and printers; there was no damage to them.

You have likely heard about an EMP (Electro-Magnetic Pulse) weapon that destroys electronics. A lightning strike is similar; it does not have to travel down electrical wires for the cable service to do damage to electronics.

----- Retired Electrical Engineer
Old 02-12-2021, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnieme2 View Post
We currently live in GA and will move to the Villages in 5 years when I retire. Anyway, we had a whole house surge protector installed by Mr. Sparky electrical service about 20 years ago and I am almost certain that we paid at least if not more than what you are stating yours will cost. About 10 years ago squirrels chewed on the neutral wire at the electrical pole outside of our house, causing an electrical overload that if not for the surge protector could have caught our house on fire or at least destroyed our electronics and household appliances. I have never seen lightbulbs glow so brightly as ours did right before the whole house surge protector burned up and the power went out. Needless to say the whole house surge protector did it's job and sacrificed itself. We IMMEDIATELY had a new one installed once the power company re-ran the neutral and our power was restored. Maybe what happened to us was a very rare occurrence but I will never live in a house that does not have a whole house surge protector. Having that small piece of equipment installed is worth every penny in my opinion.
Squirrels and other rodents like to eat the insulation on wires - because that insulation is partially made from soybeans. They go after car wiring also. As a personal opinion, I have always considered squirrels to be JUST rats that live in trees. I don't understand people thinking of squirrels as "CUTE" - but, maybe they became cute from kid's cartoons? I preferred the 1950s attitude of allowing kids in suburbs to hunt squirrels with their Red Ryder BB guns. That kept squirrels in the woods where they were NOT pests. Obviously, times have changed and the Police would be shooting the kids thinking they were carrying Uzis and 9mm handguns - which probably is true that some are carrying lethal-to-humans type guns today. I guess that shows how America has evolved or de-voluted?
Old 02-12-2021, 02:18 PM

Welcome to the Lightning Capital of the US! Our area experiences over 100 days a year with lightning. In 2020 we had 117 days with lightning. The term “whole house surge protection” is misleading. There is no single product on the market to protect all appliances and sensitive electronic equipment from an INDIRECT lightning strike. As others have mentioned on this thread each year a few homeowners experience damage in the thousands of dollars to their electronics. Therefore, it is worth considering Primary Surge Protection on your meter by your electric utility or on your electric panel by a licensed electrical AND you need Secondary Surge Protection (point-of-use) for electronics like computers, TVs, garage door openers, etc. If your concern is a DIRECT lightning strike that can cause significant damage to the structure then consider installing a lightning protection system, commonly called lightning rods, by a firm listed by UL and a Master Installer as designated by the Lightning Protection Institute. For more information on lightning safety, you may to wish to attend The Weather Club in The Villages March 18, 2021, meeting,1:30 PM, at the Bridgeport Recreation Center to learn more. You can sign up at info@theweatherclubvillages.com.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
That is great! But after 20 years here without ever a problem..i dont think i need one.
As the saying goes you will not need it until you need it.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:

My questions:

Contract with a licensed electrician to install surge protection at the breaker box, or just install good quality surge protectors at the appliances/tvs you wish to protect. Don't waste your $$ on SECO "protection."
Old 02-12-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I wonder if their insurance went up also?
It did not....as I understand it, increases are not based on your claims or the number of claims (or lack of) but on all policyholders.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
house, service, protection, surge, electrician

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.