Why do so many people coat their garages?

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2022, 05:37 AM

Retirees in The Villages have a lot of money saved up and like to spend it in ways that create impressions for their neighbors to see. This is the reason.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:53 AM
Gold member

This is a follow-up question to those that have coated garage/patio floors: in post #10 kitnhead said that the coated floor was very slippery when wet. I followed the link provided by post #10 bobeaston and the Liquid Floors site said 'slip resistant'. Are coated floors more or less slippery or does it depend on which coating is used? I presume some of the floors (like patio) would frequently be wet. Thanks in advance, any advice you have would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:01 AM

There is an additive called shark bite that gives the floor grit and it helps. But it’s not fool proof! This fool still slipped and fell. But it was because I was rushing —now I have adjusted and I haven’t fallen again. That was over a year ago. Generally the grit works well.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:10 AM

Shutters - got them with the house - they drive me crazy because I like to open the windows so because of the height of the windows I can't put furniture in front of the windows, which I could with blinds. I would never spend that $$ on my own. Solar Tube - LOVE them purchased 2. Garage ???
Old 09-25-2022, 06:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Although the custom of attractively coating garage floors (and driveways) is something that we liked when we first came here, as noted by some there are certain coatings that can be very slippery when wet so care must be taken when bringing in a car after raining outside (or even condensation dripping from the A/C). While I recognize that there isn't the problem here of snow/ice melting off of a vehicle when parked in a garage, I still miss the fact that very few (any?) garages in TV have drains. I became spoiled being able to wash/wax my vehicles, during winter, while being inside in my oversized, heated 3 car garage - with a large drain.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy05 View Post
Retirees in The Villages have a lot of money saved up and like to spend it in ways that create impressions for their neighbors to see. This is the reason.
I think this post is correct to a point. I am inclined to think that many of the people that spend outlandish amounts of money on their home have sold their family home in another State and now have time to play for probably the first time in their lives. When you first move to TV you are bombarded with ads and sales people trying to sell their product and the great majority of those products to make your home look like a show house and in the euphoria of moving to TV they fall for it. We are lucky, none of our neighbors fell for the bells and whistles being offered.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:36 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
When you first move to TV you are bombarded with ads and sales people trying to sell their product
Never happened to us.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks
Too much extra money burning holes in their pockets. It is after all just a garage.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

When I bought my home it was a ugly, stained garage floor. It is now beautiful w/matching painted walls. Easy to clean and looks great.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,304 Times in 562 Posts

The Epoxy coatings are nice for the poor , but I spent my money on Karastan Carpet. The cart and automobile tires seem to love the plush feel! It’s all about keeping up appearances! Mrs. Bucket
Old 09-25-2022, 07:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
I've never seen a coated garage flour in Mass. I assume there is a reason to do this in Fla rather than just appearance? Thanks
The never ending dust the concrete gives off is tracked into the house on your shoes.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:17 AM
Default Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
This is a follow-up question to those that have coated garage/patio floors: in post #10 kitnhead said that the coated floor was very slippery when wet. I followed the link provided by post #10 bobeaston and the Liquid Floors site said 'slip resistant'. Are coated floors more or less slippery or does it depend on which coating is used? I presume some of the floors (like patio) would frequently be wet. Thanks in advance, any advice you have would be appreciated.
I had mine coated to keep down the concrete dust and for appearances. I had flake laid in the polyaspartic coating which does make it less slippery. I also had grit laid on garage threshold for the same reason. Note that water, from a wet car and from the car’s A/C, does pool on coated floors and that is slippery regardless. The garage is much cleaner with the coating.

(I know ppl up North that have gotten their garage floors coated.)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

I don't understand this "easy to clean" argument. I park my car in the garage. Every month or so, I use a broom to sweep the tire dirt and leaves from the concrete floor. Are you saying that, if I coat the concrete I won't need to sweep the floor anymore?
Old 09-25-2022, 07:40 AM
Default Garage or driveway coating

There was a coated floor at our rental home when we first moved to TV. It rained and the water from the car pooled in the garage. We both slipped and nearly fell on our behinds. We are younger (in Villages terms) so thankfully this was not serious, but I believe it would have been very injurious to an older individual. Once we experienced that, we decided it was a truly unnecessary expense.[/QUOTE]

When using a polyurethane clear coat for a garage floor (or driveway for that matter) I would add Shark Grip powder to the top coat. It makes a tremendous difference when walking on the surface, especially when the floor is wet. Its like walking on regular concrete. The contractor that upgraded our driveway showed me that technique. Be sure to follow the recommendations as to the amount of powder to add per gallon of polyurethane liquid.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:42 AM

I suspect that they didn't coat or paint their driveways either. We just bought a house that has both. We like it.
Closed Thread

Tags
appearance, fla, reason, assume, mass

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.