why? - This is a great place, why would anyone move here and and trash the place?

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Sage

Remember the old joke about the person who was running out to the garbage man saying, "am I too late for the trash".

He replied, "no, just jump right in".

I think TV is kept very clean. I hardly see any trash when travelling about. I have always made the effort not to throw anything on the ground, and walk away.

Some people are just slobs. They don't bother picking up after themselves at all. It disgust me when I go the gym and some guys leave their clothes on the floor/bench, when showering, and finally put them away after they are finished. I always wonder if their maid follows them around, in their house. Just the normal way of doing things for some people.

You can't change laziness, in some people.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Gold member

How does trashing snowbirds, snowflakes or renters help to improve relations in the community? All of the above have either paid cash for their home, or they are consistently building equity and paying off the loan by paying the mortgage and expenses with their rent money. Nobody is a squatter.

Coming from major metro areas where thousands of condos sit empty and can't be sold because of defaulted investor borrowers, and because the condo complexes are de-certified for lending to prospective buyers (limiting sales to only cash buyers), you ought to be glad everybody here has paid for or IS paying for their single family homes, protecting the whole city from a housing collapse as other areas are in.

The only place I've ever seen trash strewn is below the narrow cart bridge by the gate at Morse Boulevard just north of 466. That bridge is so narrow and even tricky to make the curve, that a driver has to keep both hands on the wheel and not be grabbing for cups or cans about to fly out. Maybe some deliberately throw trash out there, but it's not many people. I'd much prefer that a cart driver on that bridge keep their hands on the wheel and avoid crashing with and toppling another cart and themselves over the side of the bridge, over trying to save a cup or can from flying out and into the creek bed.

Appreciate the vast majority of people here who DO take care of the place. When we go back up north and then return here, we keep marveling how CLEAN and sparkling TV is.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
You seem to think the problem is the snowbirds??? I doubt it. Snowbirds can afford two homes and I seriously doubt they would trash the Villages!
I don't think snowbirds are the problem - I AM A SNOWBIRD!!! Have you read about how we are blamed for so many problems "in season"?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

///

Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 AM

The other day I was driving in my car and a golf cart turned a corner and his bags of groceries he put in the back fell out onto the street. Several people honked and hollered because he had no idea they fell out of his golf cart. Looked like a whole weeks worth of groceries. He finally stopped and went back and picked everything up with some help from other Villagers. I think there are many reasons trash ends up on golf cart paths.

You were born an original. Don't die a copy. - John Mason
Old 08-20-2014, 11:00 AM

I just pick it up makes me feel like I did something good.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

I live here full time and I never litter. I've vacationed and rented in other locations and I've never littered there either. If I see trash laying around, I pick it up and dispose of it. Because that's who I am. The reverse holds true for people who do litter...they are inconsiderate pigs who will litter wherever they are. Because that's who they are.

It doesn't have anything to do with the occupancy status of the litterers. It has to do with morals and values and those don't change with location.

The Villages is, for the most part, well manicured and clean. Part of that is because most of us (full timers, part timers and renters) are good people who don't litter and do our best to keep the place nice. The other reason is because the The Villages has the money to spend on keeping the place well manicured and clean. The landscapers and other workers are awesome folks who work hard all day, rain or shine and in very hot conditions, but they can't be everywhere.

So if you see some trash, and you can safely do so...pick it up. If you see someone litter, and you can safely do so...run over them.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't see much trash, but when I do along the cart paths I overcome the urge to stop dead in my tracks and pick it up. I have NEVER felt that urge before living here but this place is so beautifully kept. It is truly like heaven.

But if I had to blame someone, it would have to be someone who is not like most of us, taught to take good care of our stuff and have pride in our homes and surroundings.

It could be grandchildren driving carts and unattended and not yet completely taught all the good stuff. It could be workers who sometimes don't like us very much for good and bad reasons. It could be contractors who don't live here or people who wish they did.

But if you are a lazy litterer and reading this....The supersoakers lie in the wait. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
And she's got the posse on speed dial.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Frog, Snowbird, Snowflake or Guest has really nothing to do with who might throw out trash in TV. Of Course, the more people here the more trash and no doubt there are more people in TV during the Season than any other time.

That said, we have lived several places during our marriage and The Villages is by far the cleanest place we lived. TV may not be for everybody but the reason isn't because of trash or rude people IMHO.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
its not the snowbirds, they at least are homeowners and have a vested interest in our community. it is the snowflakes, also known as renters. they land in different villages each year, and consider TV to be a resort, and as such are only concerned with pleasure and what they can get out of the community without giving anything back. they do however provide an economic boost, so i suppose that is a positive thing.

The snowflakes (if that is what they are called) are the source of many problems. Many are the "renters" who have no real responsibility/commitment to the community. They are impatient at restaurants, rude in their carts and cut-you-off in their cars. They don't pick up from their pets and drop their cigarette butts - I watch them from my lanai. There is a huge difference in the general mentation of the frogs and snowbirds come January. The snowflakes can be offensive, but as mentioned earlier, they help pay the bills at local establishments. They often treat our loved community like their private playground with little respect because they have no skin-in-the-game. Doubt this behavior will change so the only thing we can do, is change how we react to it. I just suck-it-up and pick up the garbage and butts. I just "smile" when they are unpleasant in the restaurants, carts etc. I am careful when they arrive because they are EVERYWHERE and drive like maniacs.

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 08-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
I live here full time and I never litter. I've vacationed and rented in other locations and I've never littered there either. If I see trash laying around, I pick it up and dispose of it. Because that's who I am. The reverse holds true for people who do litter...they are inconsiderate pigs who will litter wherever they are. Because that's who they are.

It doesn't have anything to do with the occupancy status of the litterers. It has to do with morals and values and those don't change with location.

The Villages is, for the most part, well manicured and clean. Part of that is because most of us (full timers, part timers and renters) are good people who don't litter and do our best to keep the place nice. The other reason is because the The Villages has the money to spend on keeping the place well manicured and clean. The landscapers and other workers are awesome folks who work hard all day, rain or shine and in very hot conditions, but they can't be everywhere.

So if you see some trash, and you can safely do so...pick it up. If you see someone litter, and you can safely do so...run over them.

I love you. Yes I do.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:39 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The increase in trash here can be attributed to any number of people in and out of TV for any given reason ( working living, passing through). Debris flying out of carts, maintenance workers leave containers at their work sites, debris left or flying about from trash left at the curb for pickup
We don't need to bash each other.

I believe most of it a result of just living and growing not intentional but prone to happen because we are human. Perhaps suggestions to the District on improving clean up is in order. I don't mind picking up debris once and a while but I do not want to enable those responsible for clean up. Beside the debris issue isn't epidemic
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
The snowflakes (if that is what they are called) are the source of many problems. Many are the "renters" who have no real responsibility/commitment to the community. They are impatient at restaurants, rude in their carts and cut-you-off in their cars. They don't pick up from their pets and drop their cigarette butts - I watch them from my lanai. There is a huge difference in the general mentation of the frogs and snowbirds come January. The snowflakes can be offensive, but as mentioned earlier, they help pay the bills at local establishments. They often treat our loved community like their private playground with little respect because they have no skin-in-the-game. Doubt this behavior will change so the only thing we can do, is change how we react to it. I just suck-it-up and pick up the garbage and butts. I just "smile" when they are unpleasant in the restaurants, carts etc. I am careful when they arrive because they are EVERYWHERE and drive like maniacs.
They also save chairs, hog the pools, and do not fix their pitch marks. I have sneaking suspicion they are also responsible for the sink holes. Fortunately, some of us are able spot them.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Where do I start??

I love it here. See very few rude people. far less than elsewhere.

Some of my friends are snowbirds.

Some of my friends are blue collar people. I like them anyway.

Got it?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We've been privileged to live in TV for 6 years. I ride in my cart everywhere
and I rarely see trash. I rarely encounter rude people. Maybe it's because I have a smile on my face, the smile is there because i'm surrounded by nature and beautiful landscapes with thousands of flowers. I've experienced people going out of their way to help a neighbor in need, in fact I've seen people go that extra mile to help a neighbor. Attitude is everything.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.