Why I didn't choose the Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

What's the saying? Home is where the heart is, or something like that.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyafd View Post
You've all made some very good points. Even the threats were informative.

I wish the best of luck to all you.
You were threatened ?

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 07-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
you have all been judge.

REPENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moi?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:34 AM

We chose The Villages because of the vast diversity in all areas of life. We worked all over the world and when it was time for retirement, we found places with the majority of the residents that had similar interests quite boring. The Villages residents are from every corner of the world with a vast amount of opinions on religion, politics etc. God has blessed The Villages with diversity and we embrace it. Except for one difference between people I don't care to mention. We love it here.

Look at the movie Pleasantville. How horrible would that be?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You will never know how much you missed here. As people become older, their beliefs become more entrenched. They look at things a certain way, probably because of all of their life experiences, but more often than not they view things as most of the folks did where they lived all of their lives.

I grew up in a suburb right smack dab in the middle of Ohio farm country. You grew up in the Bronx. You may think I talk funny. I may think you talk funny. You spoke about planting a fig tree. I have never seen a fig tree, but I am familiar with acres and acres and acres of soy beans. As we grow older and closer to leaving this life, what is important is sharing and listening to others and enjoying the differences and commonalities we have.

What I love about The Villages is that almost everyone has worked hard and planned to live here, and whether they live in a big ole house or a tiny one, they are living independently and have pride in their homes and yards and enjoy all of the time to try new things and meet new people. We have very little time to feel bad, sad or angry. Or worry much about the other guy's politics.

I will defend my views vehemently, but I have found many views to moderate as I listen to others, and other views to be more entrenched. You can't be me. I can't be you. That's o.k. Enjoy your life and be happy.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Platinum member
Default not just here

[QUOTE=tonyafd;906784]We've all made our decisions. The Villages is a beautiful place. I don't debate that. If you are happy there, good for you.

Here is my experience while I was deciding:
While I was riding back to Orlando on a lifestyle trial I had to endure an hour long negative tirade about Obama from another passenger. I was as tactful as possible. Rupert Murdock's FOX radio plays on the streets in Sumter Landing. There are articles about how Romney window signs were tolerated and how Obama window signs were ordered down.

Back in Pinellas county campaign signs were taken down as well--for both sides. I will admit that I was originally worried about the political leanings here but I have to say I've not run into any uncomfortable situations. Most people don't want dissent and strife and don't venture into those discussions, preferring instead to discuss their golf or pickleball games.

Sarasota is beautiful. However, having lived close to the Gulf, I do not miss the threat of hurricanes or the inability to get home insurance at a reasonable price. My amenity fee is about equivalent to what I save every year on home owners insurance. As a single, this place is ideal. There is no way I would be as active as I am now, living anywhere else. The problem with being a couple is when you are no longer a couple. social opportunities change or dwindle and one can become isolated.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Platinum member

I would greatly be interested to know where utopia was found.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 AM

I made my decision with what I experienced and what I researched. While I agree that one shouldn't pass judgement without living there perhaps you might agree that I shouldn't spend a large sum of money by ignoring what I have seen and read.

I have a question for you. Do you have an speakers booked in the for seen future that are not affiliated with the Tea Party?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Default I guess there is a pot for every lid.

We are die hard liberals. Yeah, some of the conservative talk from friends gets to be a bit tiresome. Also, we have had friends visit that did not like how big it is. However, life for us here is very good. We have a beach condo south of Sarasota, and loved spending our winters there until we found TV. We are so busy here and constantly meet delightful people. After 4 years here, we still pat ourselves for moving here.
Hopefully, we all find a place that gives us peace and contentment. Best of luck to you with your choice.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
OK, let me just say that I am a Liberal Democrat. I proudly wear the title of Liberal Democrat. I live in, and greatly enjoy The Villages. Not once have I felt "less than welcome." I don't choose a place to live based on the political, moral, intellectual, or any other thoughts of my neighbors. I may not always agree with all of my friends in The Villages, but I still enjoy them and they enjoy me. My neighbors don't judge me, and I don't judge them. Frankly, we don't discuss it much at all.

I've been to Sarasota (and Gainesville for that matter), and it's great. But do you really think that only "Progressives" live in Sarasota? I find plenty of tolerance here.

Why I did choose The Villages? The lifestyle amenities, the weather, and this great house I live in.

Just saying.............................
Another liberal Democrat seconds your post!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We've all made our decisions. The Villages is a beautiful place. I don't debate that. If you are happy there, good for you.

Here is my experience while I was deciding:
While I was riding back to Orlando on a lifestyle trial I had to endure an hour long negative tirade about Obama from another passenger. I was as tactful as possible. Rupert Murdock's FOX radio plays on the streets in Sumter Landing. There are articles about how Romney window signs were tolerated and how Obama window signs were ordered down.
Thanks for your post; it's good to hear other viewpoints. I'm sure thousands of people have come on lifestyle visits and decided TV wasn't for them, for any number of reasons. I'm a liberal and have lived in college town where the prevailing winds blow left and, without different opinions, it can become something of a closed circuit that does nothing but pass along and reinforce existing beliefs.

While I appreciate the variety of political views here, I will say I've found it best to avoid discussion of religion and politics with casual acquaintances. (And isn't that what Emily Post would tell us, anyway?) But I do wish medical offices would play something other than Fox News in their waiting rooms.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I opened up thread hoping to see someone's view point on why they did not select TV. I can envision many factors a new buyer needs to measure and can understand folks going a different way. Did not take long to figure out that was not going to happen. oh well... off for my walk to the light house... no, not that lighthouse, this lighthouse (please forgive lousy phone camera)...
Yep, personal choices. We all make them for one reason or anther. Some we make are good and some bad. Hopefully we learn from the bad ones. I did not buy in the Villages. Not because I did not think the villages was a nice place to live but because I wanted a house on a golf course in a gated community. I could not afford it in the villages so I purchased in Stonecrest. I personally like smaller then larger. I did not buy on the coast because when the big wind comes I did not want to have to abandon my property. I like Central Florida. You are with in a day trip to many places.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Platinum member

You'll spend to much time on politics.
TV is heaven on earth.
You over 1000 things to do every day.
GO PLAY.
When I fish if the guy next to me would start the crap he is going to get wet.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyafd View Post
I made my decision with what I experienced and what I researched. While I agree that one shouldn't pass judgement without living there perhaps you might agree that I shouldn't spend a large sum of money by ignoring what I have seen and read.

I have a question for you. Do you have an speakers booked in the for seen future that are not affiliated with the Tea Party?
As a matter of fact, Members of the Villages Democratic Club presented House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer at Colony Rec Center on Saturday.

You could go to the Democrats TV club to find out about other speakers.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Eternal Member

Maybe it's just me, but it saddens me that some people don't have a life.
To come on here starting out with negative comments about the Villages and they don't even live here amazes me.
Surely there must be better things for someone to do.
Like I said, maybe it's just me or I really missed something !!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.