Why I didn't choose the Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,540 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Thanks for your post; it's good to hear other viewpoints. I'm sure thousands of people have come on lifestyle visits and decided TV wasn't for them, for any number of reasons. I'm a liberal and have lived in college town where the prevailing winds blow left and, without different opinions, it can become something of a closed circuit that does nothing but pass along and reinforce existing beliefs.

While I appreciate the variety of political views here, I will say I've found it best to avoid discussion of religion and politics with casual acquaintances. (And isn't that what Emily Post would tell us, anyway?) But I do wish medical offices would play something other than Fox News in their waiting rooms.

You go to Paiano? Paeno? I still can't spell it. I changed but not because of Fox news. lol
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it saddens me that some people don't have a life.
To come on here starting out with negative comments about the Villages and they don't even live here amazes me.
Surely there must be better things for someone to do.
Like I said, maybe it's just me or I really missed something !!
Bump. Good. common sense point, Bonny. Like always.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Sounds like Sarasota's loss is TV gain
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
As a matter of fact, Members of the Villages Democratic Club presented House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer at Colony Rec Center on Saturday.

You could go to the Democrats TV club to find out about other speakers.
What she said.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 AM

I wish you all happiness and prosperity. I'm glad that the political atmosphere is not as oppressive as I have read it was.

Keep fighting for Social Security and Medicare. It is the reason why many of us will retire comfortably.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyafd View Post
Speaking of movies, do they ever show films that might be considered left wing at any of the movie houses in the three town centers?
Yes and no. Michael Moore movies have never played here but any number of movies with liberal leanings play here. I would say 75% of the Top Ten US movies have liberal values in one way or another. Just check the movie listings for the Villages provided by TOTV.

My guess is that if enough people asked one of these theaters to get some left leaning Indy like Blackfish to the Villages there could. That movie might even have played here?? http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blackfish_2013/
Old 07-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Keep in mind that this is an avenue to vent. I hear the evils of alcohol preached by some, but have never been harassed going in nor coming out of my favorite watering hole. I listen to experts on what country club has the best vitals, but almost all are filled at dinner time. I suggest taking any venting with a grain of salt and continue to enjoy this wonderful place. If you find a place that everyone has the same take on politics and religion, hurray, but your way will not seem as special to you.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:17 AM

No. Your first reply.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Please stay on topic and avoid political references.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Curious why this was posted. Ok, you moved to Sarasota because you're more comfortable there. A lot of other are more comfortable hear. BTW, lived here three years and haven't had one political discussion. However, golf is another story.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:51 AM

The Villages has everything available. It's up to you to enjoy it or be miserable.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
You really didn't get my point. Speaking of tolerance, how do Villagers react when Progressive speakers are invited to speak there.

Do they get invited to speak there?
How do you consider Steny Hoyer? Do you think he was invited to speak or just invaded the Colony rec ctr?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Last Summer I bought a house in Sarasota Florida. It's just a better deal to be closer to the coast. The HOA costs are lower. Our children don't have to leave. As important than the rest, I would not be happy as a Progressive in a community where people who don't think in a regimented way are less than welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
If someone doesn't want to live here, he's free to live elsewhere.
I wish the people who don't want to live here would go away and leave us alone.
Of course some people will prefer to live by the ocean.
Or to live in a community that welcomes children.
Or to remain in their home State.
People who have never lived in The Villages have a lot of misconceptions about the lifestyle.
Most of us who've chosen The Villages are quite content with our decision.

Question
Why do people who have decided they don't want to live in The Villages have a need to post on TOTV to say negative things about our community?
It's a mystery to me.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

Why I did ('nt) choose The Villages? Because I would find a place to live where it is nice and good people around.
Everybody has an own part called taste, and I am willig to respect it totally because everybody is different (even my twin sons are very different in their taste). So why should I post something what I don't like in a forum/blog? Senseless to me.
I love "MY" Villages, means that part I am living in and for it, sharing all with my family and friends. That's my TASTE.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Default Why I did choose the Villages!

Quote:
Last Summer I bought a house in Sarasota Florida. It's just a better deal to be closer to the coast. The HOA costs are lower. Our children don't have to leave.

As important than the rest, I would not be happy as a Progressive in a community where people who don't think in a regimented way are less than welcome.
Oh well your choice to pay the higher taxes, the hurricanes are closer to you, and Sarasota is one of the busiest traffic ridden cities in Florida, good luck with all that. Everything costs more, the hotel prices are ridiculous. The Villages is one of the best and most friendly go-ahead places that you could hope to find, we have never been happier and we have lived all over the world! We were always taught not to discuss politics and religion and it works for us.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.