Why I didn't choose the Villages.

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
Please, please admin do something.
Allegiance, do you know about the Ignore List?
It's very useful if you don't want to see posts from someone who bothers you.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I find the good people of The Villages to be a tolerant, happy and contented lot. Most do not feel the need to without invitation announce or impose their political beliefs on others.

BTW, it is a relief to hear Fox rather than CNN which is relentlessly broadcast in airports.

Here is how the OP can keep track of the red tide which occurs in the Sarasota area. NOAA Harmful Algal Bloom Operational Forecast System: Operational Conditions Reports

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

We had our list of what we wanted when we retired. The first item was the beach and can understand why someone would want be have the salt air and sand. The OP did what was right for them and honestly, I have a bit of envy for your choice.

We purchased in The Villages. There's no ocean or beach, but the other things that we found would give us quality of life after retirement, outweighed the love of the beach. We've spent very little time in The Villages. What we have learned is there are a variety of political views, personality's, and even kids at the family pool. The people seem to be very similar to those we know in PA.

What's so wonderful about planning for that last third of our lives is the ability to think what is important to us personally. We'll visit the beach, but will look forward to returning to free golf, scooting around in a golf cart, meeting people with similar and different backgrounds, and knowing when the day ends, we can sit back to enjoy a good book.

Life is good. Enjoy wherever you decide is best for you.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyafd View Post
You've all made some very good points. Even the threats were informative.

I wish the best of luck to all you.
I'm curious - why are you reading TOTV and posting here?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Last Summer I bought a house in Sarasota Florida. It's just a better deal to be closer to the coast. The HOA costs are lower. Our children don't have to leave.

As important than the rest, I would not be happy as a Progressive in a community where people who don't think in a regimented way are less than welcome.
Funny, I felt the same way as a moderate Democrat, having always lived in California. I changed parties some time ago, after having seen major changes in the state and in our Country. At one time, it didn't matter what political view you had; you could express an opinion or have a normal, unheated discussion, and were respected. Always took this for granted. But things seemed to have changed in most parts of California over the last approximate 20 years. There basically is little or no tolerance for someone other than a liberal. You would not see a permanent, lit, flag pole on any homes, as you see here, and it will be interesting to see if there will ever again be a Republican governor in California. Wonder why.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I agree the Thread's heading is misleading but I prefer not to judge as to whether it was intentional or not.

To speak to the headings theme. Most people adapt, rationalize or remain in denial if something, someone or some place is not meeting their expectations.
Further people can become bored with someone, something or some place.and need a change if it is physically and/or economically feasible.
Further still such judgments require preferences and we all have different preferences so when it comes to someone, some thing or some place we wll have legitimate differences.

One last note...In the beginning being liberal meant that the person was for very limited government interference. Today it means supporting big government
Old 07-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Last Summer I bought a house in Sarasota Florida. It's just a better deal to be closer to the coast. The HOA costs are lower. Our children don't have to leave.

As important than the rest, I would not be happy as a Progressive in a community where people who don't think in a regimented way are less than welcome.

For some reason I think you posted that last part in an attempt to create a self-fulfilling prophecy and were hoping to get slammed by hateful responses.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:07 PM

I feel an extremist from either side might be less welcome than a no position person, but not less than welcome. Everyone is welcome at my home, just Be respectful and every one will fit into The Villages life. I am going to a large party tonight and will see if anyone brings up the deep topic's we should not talk about with a drink in hand. I don't expect to hear any at all.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Progressive democrat

Quote:

I am happy here. Politically,people leave me alone and I do the same. Our only place that is appropriate to express our views should be the ballot box.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:14 PM

My 2 cents. First I am a Dem. What other people think is up to them. I don't care if they are left or right. We will be buying a home in TVs in Sept. The other places we rejected I didn't look at in my rearview mirror. TVs has by FAR more things to do so we wont get old to soon. THATS it for me.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Default why i didn't chose TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it saddens me that some people don't have a life.
To come on here starting out with negative comments about the Villages and they don't even live here amazes me.
Surely there must be better things for someone to do.
Like I said, maybe it's just me or I really missed something !!
Surely there must be something to do in Sarasota then to read news about a community you didn't want to live in for whatever your reason was.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Eternal Member

I can see why they closed the political forum. Kind of takes on a life of it's own LOL
It's funny, I'm out with friends all of the time and we never talk politics.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Just curious, and off-topic. The OP doesn't live here but feels free to comment on living here. Why does the OP even care? You purchased a house someplace else and you obviously have your reasons. Why do you feel the need to post on TOTV at all?
Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Oh well.
Well said

"DITTO"

DougB

That's why you are my Hero!!!!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Default why i didn't move to TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
Just curious, and off-topic. The OP doesn't live here but feels free to comment on living here. Why does the OP even care? You purchased a house someplace else and you obviously have your reasons. Why do you feel the need to post on TOTV at all?
Probably lack of fun things to do!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.