why would one buy a used house when you have so many new houses?

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I believe a benefit for buying pre-owned is that the area is well settled and there are no surprises as to what is going to show up in your back yard or down the block. Also any fault design ought to have been worked out and corrected However, I would hire my own inspector to determine possible/hidden faults...an inspector who is very familiar with homes in TV . I would not buy a pre-owned home though without a warranty of the HVAC and water tank. and if the home was 10 years or older I would negotiate the appliances. I would not assume a bond. I would also check with my insurance carrier to determine if sink hole coverage could be purchased.

You do not have that kind of leverage when buying a new home here as the Properties of The Villages are very inflexible and those of us who bought in and around 2006 still feel the sting of it
Absolutely correct posting.

I would also add in that a resale home is negotiable in price! New homes do NOT have negotiable prices. If the seller is motivated, you can usually get several thousand dollars off the listing price.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!

Among all the other reasons mentioned, a gas range is important to many cooks - if you want gas you will have to buy a resale (and yes, we do have a lovely resale, with a gas stove, on the market, PM me for the link!)
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 10-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

Oh, so many reasons! Assuming you sold a previous home, why did somebody buy IT?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Platinum member

Another reason we bought a new house is our model did not
exist until late 2012.
The Ivy was exactly what we wanted and why we ended up
with a new house.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:41 AM

What is the amount of new designer home bond south of 466A these days?
Old 10-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer View Post
What is the amount of new designer home bond south of 466A these days?

It is just about $25,000 to a smidgen over $50,000. That adds up to a lot of money on your property tax bill each year when you figure in the interest.

Pre-owned will be less bond or no bond at all.

The area south of 466A just does not feel as safe as it s near Wildwood. Choose something around Lake Sumter Landing like Caroline or Mallory Hill on the interior of The Villages for safety, beauty, and convenience - as well as lower bond.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran member

20 k on a cottage house
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
It is just about $25,000 to a smidgen over $50,000. That adds up to a lot of money on your property tax bill each year when you figure in the interest.

Pre-owned will be less bond or no bond at all.

The area south of 466A just does not feel as safe as it s near Wildwood. Choose something around Lake Sumter Landing like Caroline or Mallory Hill on the interior of The Villages for safety, beauty, and convenience - as well as lower bond.
A new designer home bond is about $25,000
A new premier home bond is about $50,000
A new patio villa bond is about $ 13,000
A new cottage is about $20,000

I think that is a misleading statement about lack of safety in the new villages. In new areas where construction is continuing there are more workers around but the subcontractors are not all skallywags. I don't think the fact that Wildwood and Fruitland Park are closeby has much bearing on safety. If a bad guy wants to come in here he can come in here anywhere all the way to Spanish Springs. If you think that Wildwood is the source of trouble, actually the last few burglars were from Bellview and the mugger was from Orlando, he and his girlfriend.

Newer areas have newer people and it is easier to get to know people sometimes.

And the bond is the cost of the infrastructure. It is absorbed into the cost of the home in other areas of this country. The bond hasn't disappeared on older homes. It is absorbed into the cost or the remainder still has to be paid.

I think that a new home is a wonderful thing and it carries a warranty that is immediately carried out on any issues. We have had two here. Newer homes have the new level of windows for strong winds and all new devices such as humidistats. People who buy new homes are just as happy as people who buy used homes.
We have satisfied friends in both catagories . No I don't work for the developer and I don't work for a realtor either.

P.S. Our three year old home is around Lake Sumter Landing and we love it.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

I live in the central area, Mallory Square, and NOTHING is for sale longer than 3 weeks. Some move witchin this Village to larger/smaller homes just to stay in this area. Also, we have a wonderful neighborhood, as do most of us her in TV . We get attached to each other, hence the reluctance to leave our friends. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, so when I win the Lottery...
Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Well said Gracie. You made us see that whatever we choose it is the right choice for us and we are all in a wonderful place.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
Well said Gracie. You made us see that whatever we choose it is the right choice for us and we are all in a wonderful place.
You undoubtedly will be happy in a new or resale home in any location in The Villages.

Do check out resales for the negotiation aspect, mature landscaping, established area, no construction, probably lower bond, built ins already in place, and away from the edges of The Villages. You want to know what might be built on that vacant non-Villages that abuts your property but no one knows at this time! Ask the people who now have a multistory nursing home close to their backyard.

There are large areas of real poverty close to Village property with nothing more than a 4 foot wood fence separating them. I would buy in the interior for safety feelings.

Once again, I recommend Mallory Hill and Caroline for beautiful homes, great location, and just a good place to be a frog.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 PM

We bought used / resale because we like the "cozy" feeling of the mature landscaping and prefer to be on the borders of Belleview and Summerfield rather than Leesburg and Wildwood. We were already living in Central Florida and were totally familiar with the Demographics.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 AM

We purchased a pre-owned because of the location and because it was spotless and the bond was less too. We're happy up north and happy in The Villages. Best of both worlds as we've really lucked out on both. So far, so good. Happy, happy, happy.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 PM

I am coming there Nov 10 thru the 14th from Minnesota to look at properties to buy.
Where is the ideal location that is close to all the attractions and activities.
Also do Lakeside Landings residents have access to the Villages and the shops, restaurants, etc. Would appreciate any advice I can get. I will be staying at
the Waterfront Inn. I am 64 , male and single ! THANKS !!!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 PM

how do I find homes with low or no bond ?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.