Wrong Way Golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrose View Post
With SOOO many golf cart paths and golf carts, The Villages needs more signage....or a painted color coded system or SOMETHING on the cart path trails to help people learn to get around. I will be moving to TV soon, and getting around on the cart paths frightens me. Coming out of those tunnels confuses me as which way to turn. There HAS to be a better way to mark them. From a newbie point of view, I'm just saying...
The key to your post is "from a newbie point of view". After you are here awhile you will be saying....gee that is not as tough as I thought.

I still don't understand why people don't buy the $5 map and LOOK AT IT.
If they do they will see that Morse Blvd and Buena Vista both run north and south.......knowing that how will one get lost.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM

That early morning "trial ride" is a great idea!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The GPS suggestion is a good one but not without its own set of problems. After buying two maps, i decided to explore sections of TV at a time and /or seek directions from others. It does appear that all cartpaths lead to Rome, and so absent learning new short cuts, you cannot get lost. My hunch is that many of these accidents are a result of our aging population.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Sage

Just look for the moss growing on the north side of the golfers. Great way to judge your direction
Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The key to your post is "from a newbie point of view". After you are here awhile you will be saying....gee that is not as tough as I thought.

I still don't understand why people don't buy the $5 map and LOOK AT IT.
If they do they will see that Morse Blvd and Buena Vista both run north and south.......knowing that how will one get lost.
Bogie,

I agree. The key signs that I like are those that tell you north and south after you come thru a tunnel. Too much signage can be really confusing - and it requires upkeep.

A few tips for newbies:

1. Do the early morning exploring as a couple of posters recommended.

2. Ask to have someone from TOTV show you around - many are willing to help.

3. Buy the map - take a look at it before you head out.

4. As Russ says, stay out of roundabouts. (i.e. rotaries as we would say)

5. Ask for help when needed.

It looks far more complex than it is. You will get the hang of it in no time.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Sage
Thumbs up Thanks for the helpful hints

To the TV veterans who posted helpful golf cart navigation tips -- thank you.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Platinum member

When my wife and I first move here, we got lost many times. Yes we had the map! Most of the time, it was in the evening and getting dark or was already dark and you can't read a map it those conditions. (we now carry a flashlight in the cart) We got help from lots of people, but once when it was raining, no one stopped to offer help. We learned how to get around from all our getting lost experiences. It's not too bad as long as you have plenty of gas and don't have to be anywhere by a certain time. You can learn a lot from your mistakes.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan;36***3
Just look for the moss growing on the north side of the golfers. Great way to judge your direction
Now that's funny!!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Bogie,

I agree. The key signs that I like are those that tell you north and south after you come thru a tunnel. Too much signage can be really confusing - and it requires upkeep.

A few tips for newbies:

1. Do the early morning exploring as a couple of posters recommended.

2. Ask to have someone from TOTV show you around - many are willing to help.

3. Buy the map - take a look at it before you head out.

4. As Russ says, stay out of roundabouts. (i.e. rotaries as we would say)

5. Ask for help when needed.

It looks far more complex than it is. You will get the hang of it in no time.
All great advice. Additional suggestions:
  • If you don't already have one, put a compass in your golf cart.
  • Give yourself extra time if you are traversing unfamiliar section(s) of the cart paths.
  • The signs are not hard to follow, if you take the time to follow them. If you are unsure which way to go, it's perfectly ok to stop and digest what's on the sign. It's way more ok than going the wrong way on a cart path or road.
  • Trust the signs! Yes, sometimes you might be circling around and it might feel as if you are going back in the direction you came or going away from the road your trying to follow. Don't worry. It's temporary. Do what the sign says and you'll come out where you were trying to go.
If all else fails, simply stop and look lost and confused. Someone will stop and point you in the right direction. It's The Villages way.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
All great advice. Additional suggestions:
  • If you don't already have one, put a compass in your golf cart.
  • Give yourself extra time if you are traversing unfamiliar section(s) of the cart paths.
  • The signs are not hard to follow, if you take the time to follow them. If you are unsure which way to go, it's perfectly ok to stop and digest what's on the sign. It's way more ok than going the wrong way on a cart path or road.
  • Trust the signs! Yes, sometimes you might be circling around and it might feel as if you are going back in the direction you came or going away from the road your trying to follow. Don't worry. It's temporary. Do what the sign says and you'll come out where you were trying to go.
If all else fails, simply stop and look lost and confused. Someone will stop and point you in the right direction. It's The Villages way.
Pturner,

More great guidance, especially about the compass -- thank you. I will have to look for a compass this weekend. I wonder if an auto supply store or a sporting good store would carry a compass?
Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Pturner,

More great guidance, especially about the compass -- thank you. I will have to look for a compass this weekend. I wonder if an auto supply store or a sporting good store would carry a compass?
If you take your cart by the Villages cart store they'll probably have one and install it for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran member

I would just like to add on to be sure your golf cart does not exceed the legal speed limit for golf carts - 20 mph. If you are on a street and exceeding 30 mph, the tickets are very expensive. I understand they are at least $235.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I will have to look for a compass this weekend. I wonder if an auto supply store or a sporting good store would carry a compass?
You can find them in the auto dept. at Walmart, Target and Sears, too.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
You can find them in the auto dept. at Walmart, Target and Sears, too.
I'm just renting in July, so a portable compass would be best--thanks for the heads up about Walmart, Target and Sears. The landlord who owns the rental house said the golf cart that comes with the house is set not to exceed 20 mph. I will probably be putzing along at under 20 mph, so feel free to pass me!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you have an Iphone you can get a compass app.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.