Yikes!

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Thanks for all of the "welcome posts". Things are going smoother than we expected. I spent all day yesterday taking down pictures and filling nail holes (over 70). Getting estimates for moving. Giving away treasures. etc. Janie has been spending most of her time getting lists of Dr.'s that are covered by our medical. She has already set up a dentist apt for mid June. Maybe I'd better stop talking about the move. I don't want to jinx anything. See everybody soon. Bob & Janie
Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Another Ohio couple here! We will help you in any way we can. Example, the names and location of stores ,good places to eat etc. Life is a bit different from Ohio , a GOOD different . With all the helpful people here, you will have an easy transition .
Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I disagree, respectfully but vigorously!

Bring the things you love, furniture included. Your things will fit and look good.
If you buy everything here, your house will look just like many others.

I'm with you, Bonanza. Everything we have in our house, except the dining room, we brought with us from our condo in MI and our apartment in Pittsburgh. And it all fits in well with the house. I guess since we've always had a contemporary/transitional style and don't have a lot of antiques or heavy wood furniture from the '70s & '80s, we're quite happy with the things we brought down.

Even the dining room furniture would have been okay. We just needed a bigger buffet for more storage, and the manufacturer was no longer making that style in that color.

Don't just arbitrarily toss stuff.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to JaniceOhio
Default OH

Hi Buckeyes!

Creeping slowly from Columbus to Gilchrist! Originally from Cincy.

Bought the house and now have to pay for it so can't retire yet! Will be there end of May for a bit and would love to meet up. OH!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:22 AM

We will get there from Cincinnati about the time you arrive. Looking forward to all the fun!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGranny View Post
We will get there from Cincinnati about the time you arrive. Looking forward to all the fun!

We have the nicest Cincinnati Club going on here. You will love it. Feel free to message us if you need anything. Our welcome mat is always out.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:47 PM

This is my first time to post and I'm a little nervous. I'm replying to YIKES and hope this goes in the right thread. I had to write cuz I share the same story. We put our home up for sale last month thinking it would take three months if we were lucky. Well we sold it in one day. I'm still fainting.

We flew down to TV from South Jersey last week and after much indecision bought a CYV in Lake Deaton. I hope we made the right decision. My husband and I and our two little bichons will be arriving at TV on June 2nd. After spending 50 years each in New Jersey it's going to be quite a transition, but a good one.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran member

Yes, you posted in the right thread, and yes you made the right decision. Don't be nervous posting we all had our first time. Keep posting and sharing your moving experience. Everyone here can relate.

We bought a house in Collier back in September, but we are still in Detroit. Our house is going up for sale May 5th and I hope ours sells in one day like yours. I've been so busy preparing the house to go up for sale. Cleaning, packing boxes, sorting through piles of stuff, and its overwhelming. I'm exhausted.

Good luck with your new life adventure!

Last edited by tippyclubb; 04-27-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 PM

Welcome and hope you enjoy you new adventure. We have owned our home there for several years now with the thoughts of retirement in the distant future. But as life would have it my job has ended and we are moving down by mid june. We put our house here on the market, had 4 showings within 14 days and Bam have a contract. So full steam ahead!!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI, Livonia, Ann Arbor, Fairbanks AK. Last stop to be TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyisle View Post
My 60 cents for what they are worth... Pack up the best of your linens and kitchen items and say goodbye to the rest. Don't bother moving a stick of furniture. It won't fit or look right no matter how much you think it will... People spend tens of thousands in moving costs and then it ends up at Bargains and Treasures...
We brought nothing but kitchen, bath and bedding - and our art work.. Haven't missed one stick of furniture... Have had a great time spending what would have been moving and household sale money on creating a totally new life here in TV...
Welcome to your new home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm with you, Bonanza. Everything we have in our house, except the dining room, we brought with us from our condo in MI and our apartment in Pittsburgh. And it all fits in well with the house. I guess since we've always had a contemporary/transitional style and don't have a lot of antiques or heavy wood furniture from the '70s & '80s, we're quite happy with the things we brought down.

Even the dining room furniture would have been okay. We just needed a bigger buffet for more storage, and the manufacturer was no longer making that style in that color.

Don't just arbitrarily toss stuff.

I see both sides of the coin. One family's focus was less on furniture and more on art work, and another family's needs/wants enabled them to retain the furniture that was familiar and that they liked.

For us, we moved from a total space of over 6400 sq ft to less than a third of that. And we lost basements, and large garages (read storage spaces).

So after getting rid of a HUGE amount of furniture and other things, we brought down $11,000 moving cost of "stuff" that we felt was the absolute minimum. Reality is that we wound up bringing far more than actually can fit in the house, so we have a storage unit filled to the brim.(along with a monthly bill.) Most everybody we talk to has much the same story. That being said, our suggestion is only bring down that which has a real emotional connection/attachment. Depending on the actual moving cost, if you put it into buying down here, you might find it economically feasible to be selective in your purchases and create a new home from scratch. (this is assuming you like to decorate, otherwise forget what I just said.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

I disagree, respectfully but vigorously!

Bring the things you love, furniture included. Your things will fit and look good.
If you buy everything here, your house will look just like many others.

Agree and disagree both. Bonanza's key word is "love". As I mentioned earlier, especially where furniture is concerned, bring down that which has a real emotional connection/attachment. If you have a recliner that you just love, bring it!!! But don't bring the couch just because you think you're going to need a couch.
Remember, furniture is just one part of the equation. Our neighbors who are now very close friends took their concepts from us and put their own spins on it. Although they have many of the same pieces that we have, their decorative touches have created their own unique style and even mutual friends don't see that there are some of the same things in both homes.

Bottom line--It's really not all that important in the long run. The single most important thing is that you will be with the rest of us "In The Bubble".

You will make friends on TOTV before you even meet them, and even more when you get here.

WELCOME HOME

You can't laugh at the same things again and again, but why do you keep crying over the same things again and again
"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade"
Personally, I'll go for a Tom Collins.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran member

That being said, our suggestion is only bring down that which has a real emotional connection/attachment. Depending on the actual moving cost, if you put it into buying down here, you might find it economically feasible to be selective in your purchases and create a new home from scratch
---------------------------

This is so true. We had a quote from United Van Lines and it was $4,200 which we thought was expensive considering were only bring one bedroom set and 50-60 boxes. We will be using cubes for less than half of the quoted price saving us over two grand. That money will go toward new furniture. We figure new home calls for new furniture.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Location: Indianapolis, Ft Worth, Naperville, Zionsville, Avon

We also sold "a bunch" of stuff thinking we were bringing the minimum. Well, we still brought too much for our 3 bedroom Begonia. Everything is moved and we will arrive Saturday in Collier. Let us know when you guys "land".

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.