"You're doing what!? Moving where?!"

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=MaybeKid;381109]Hi folks.

The title of my post was my question to my parents when they told me they were moving to a place called The Villages (TV) in a town called Lady Lake (This was over 10 years ago.) in the state of Florida. My mother and father were the models of stability. For them to say they were selling off everything and leaving all of us children and grandchildren behind was shocking to say the least.

My Son and Daughter in law recently made us Grand Parents of Twins. I don't think they are to happy we will be moving to TV next year.

I told them we will be home for summer and holiday visits, and the best part is we have found a community that they will enjoy coming to visit. As probably with many of the Villagers until those that question come visit it is impossible to understand how nice it is here.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Smile

My parents moved to TV more than 15 years ago. In coming to visit and seeing the lifestyle, my husband and I decided to also be frogs...We close on our house in Buttonwood on Aug 17! Our oldest son may be the next to come here---he loves it. See you all at the pool!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran member
Default Japan

Memason Sorry I didn't address you directly in my last post to you. I was curious as I lived many, many years in both Tokyo and Yokohama. Hope you weren't there during the Great Hanshin earthquake. Hope to meet you one of these days. I realize this is not the place for personal messaging so sorry to others
Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeKid View Post
Hi folks.

The title of my post was my question to my parents when they told me they were moving to a place called The Villages (TV) in a town called Lady Lake (This was over 10 years ago.) in the state of Florida. My mother and father were the models of stability. For them to say they were selling off everything and leaving all of us children and grandchildren behind was shocking to say the least.

My wife, children, and I finally came down to visit after about 6 months. Our first impression was, "What kind of fantasy land is this? Everybody is too friendly. Mom and Dad are too happy. Something can't be right here."

But it is all right. That's what we realized after a couple of more trips. Sure, every place has it quirks and problems, but as far as I'm concerned I could not have been happier for my mom and dad once I figured out what this place is all about.

Unfortunately, dad died within a year of them moving to TV. Our family all thought mom would move back home. "Why would I do that? This is my home now. My friends live here. I'm not going anywhere.", is what mom told us when asked (because we assumed she would) when she was coming "home".

The main thing I'm attempting to convey is that as a child of a full-timer in TV, it is comforting to know that my mother is happy. After all, it is about her, not us. I know she stays busy as it seems I'm usually tracking her down on her cell phone if I want to talk to her. The home phone? Ha! Don't bother. She's probably not there unless it's close to bedtime.

So if you're a person who ends up asking the same questions I asked my parents, don't despair. The odds are they will love it at The Villages. And... you'll have a great reason to go to Florida! Hug them and wish them the best as they set out on their new phase in life.

MaybeKid

(And here I was, searching for something totally unrelated to TV and ended up here anyway. Providence?)
MaybeKid:

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful story. My condolences on the loss of your father.

I see this is your first post. to TOTV.

I found it funny about tracking down your mother as that is the same situation with my busy son. I used to kid him that I needed an appointment to talk to him.

On my second visit to TV, I invited my son and grand-daughter to visit for a couple of days as we were going to Disney. After I showed him around, I asked him what he thought on my moving to TV. He replied, "this place is perfect for you".

It is so heart warming to her of children who really put themselves in their parents shoes and not hear it is all about them. I am glad that your mother is happy being in TV. Sounds like a seed was planted in your moving to TV.

Please keep on posting.

GOD bless.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Sage

Hi MaybeKid,

Your post was so kind and meaningful to Villagers who have experienced similar reaction from family. What a nice, giving person you are. Hpoe to see more of you here..
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.