Multi-Modal Path Discussion Group

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Default Multi-Modal Path Discussion Group

On May 5, 2015 a Multi-Modal Path Discussion Group with representation from Districts 1-10 and the Amenity Authority Committee will meet to discuss the multi-modal paths. The meeting will take place at 9:00 a.m. at the Eisenhower Regional Recreation Center. Please click the header of this announcement to view the agenda.

More...
Old 05-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

My biggest problem with janet tutt and the engineering firm who say we don't need markings is that they have never gone out after dark and driven back from Brownwood to 466a. All their research was done during the day which makes no sense to me..
Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Platinum member

The paths are fine.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Gold member

As long as there are windmills there will be Don Quixotes. Reflectors and stripes and speed limits won't enhance a drunk's driving skills.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
My biggest problem with janet tutt and the engineering firm who say we don't need markings is that they have never gone out after dark and driven back from Brownwood to 466a. All their research was done during the day which makes no sense to me..
I have driven after dark and in rain and have done that from SS to Hillsborough. I am strongly opposed to center striping and strongly in favor of having the edges of the MMP's either painted or reflected and when the paths split those edges be made more visible. Striping the center will create more issues for walkers, runners, bikers and carts. If you can't see where you are driving then don't drive or upgrade your cart to LED's that will give you more light. I assume that when you drive your car you never drive on those back roads that aren't stripped in the rain or at night? (Can you tell I hate this subject...)

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 AM

Agree!
Old 05-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Lines on the outside edges of the paths will encourage walkers and cyclists to move more toward the middle of the path. Reflectors along the edges of the path will be a danger to walkers and cyclists, further encouraging moving toward the center of the path. Just my humble opinion. I have used both center lined paths and non marked paths and the center lined paths, in my opinion, are superior.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
As long as there are windmills there will be Don Quixotes. Reflectors and stripes and speed limits won't enhance a drunk's driving skills.
I agree. They need bumper rails.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Gold member

I agree about the markings when the path splits. I was coming back from south of the Sanibel gate on Morse Blvd at night and there were no markings on the curbs where the path splits. Very dangerous. Maybe they have marked them now since this was a month ago. Not so in favor of striping the center of the paths.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I always wonder what they were thinking when some of these paths were designed. It seems as though many of them have a lot of unnecessary curves built into them.

I am guessing that the thinking is that if we build curves into them that people will have to slow down for the curves and the paths will be much safer. I don't think anything could be further from the truth.

People still go as fast as they can and if no traffic is coming in the opposite direction will often take a straight line from one point to the next crossing over to the other side of the path.

A great example it a section of path that was built recently off of Morse just north of 466. Heading south you go over a wooden bridge to the new section of path that goes around the church parking lot. Just after you cross the church driveway, there is an S curve built into the path. Every time I drive over that path I wonder what they were thinking. The curve is simply stupid.

But the main problem I see with all of the paths is that they are just too narrow. Two carts passing each other in opposite directions come very close to one another. It wouldn't take much of a mistake to have a bad accident. Several of the lined off areas on the sides of road almost require that you have two tires in the gutter in order to stay on the path. The bridge over Lake Sumter is just absurd. IMHO, every one of these paths needs to be widened but about two feet.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I have driven after dark and in rain and have done that from SS to Hillsborough. I am strongly opposed to center striping and strongly in favor of having the edges of the MMP's either painted or reflected and when the paths split those edges be made more visible. Striping the center will create more issues for walkers, runners, bikers and carts. If you can't see where you are driving then don't drive or upgrade your cart to LED's that will give you more light. I assume that when you drive your car you never drive on those back roads that aren't stripped in the rain or at night? (Can you tell I hate this subject...)

Agree! There are folks (and I'm one of them) who shouldn't drive golfcarts at night.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Gave Up

I was one that was strongly in favor of striping on the sides and in the center of the paths similar as to what the high paid engineers recommend and have done on all of the major highways and most side roads. I realized that was not going to happen in The Villages because of bias by biker, walkers and last but not least the Village Management. Given this and the fact that I am responsible for my own safety I had lights installed on our cart that will highlight the sides of the paths and improve the vision for the center. It is not cheap but safety is usually not cheap, (e.g burgler systems, external lighting, etc.etc.). It is sad
that all cannot have the same level of safety on the cart paths at a cost of approximately 75 cents per household every 5 years. OH WELL
Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I believe I will be attending that group meeting just to listen to what other people have to say.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Sage

Can somebody clarify for me the pedestrian/biker concerns with various types of markings...center striping, etc.? Not trying to take sides here, I just don't fully understand.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Good Question

I have actually heard some of them speak on the subject and still don't clearly understand their objections and justification. It was so convoluted and lacking in good logic that I gave up. I did not mention that I was appointed by the Mayor
of a significantly sized city to their Parking Authority.This subject only came up at Authority Meetings as a "matter of fact" that appropriate street would have good striping and other traffic safety requirements. I am personally at a loss to understand how there can be any justification to deny proper and complete striping in The Villages on what could be considered reduced sized roads for vehicles called golf carts. There are probably in excess of 60,000 in The Villages. As mentioned in my previous note I gave up and modified our Cart to reflect enough complete lighting to ensure safety at night and in the rain.
All anyone has to do is to go out on the Turnpike and note the painting and striping. In fact on most side roads around The Villages there is a consistency in center stripes. I gave up and stopped trying to influence the decision as I am responsible for our own safety and there is too much bias out there.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.