Multi-Modal Path Discussion Group

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
I wonder if this expert engineer is the same engineer who designed the blind 90 degree tunnel entrances and exits. I started pulling into one the other day and found myself facing a walker in the middle of the right lane looking at me. Good thing I am a defensive driver who was driving slowly and was able to stop.
The only thing I know from the meeting was the engineer was from the firm who were asked by the villages authorities to give their recommendations on striping or other ideas for the multi modal paths. From listening at the meeting I walked out thinking there were a few that don't comprehend what others are saying or don't care. There are quite a few villagers that believe all cart paths are exactly that. Cart paths only. I can't vouch for the background of the firm the engineer represented in regard to design of the paths or tunnels. I personally don't think the 90 degree tunnel turns are a good idea either.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
I wonder if this expert engineer is the same engineer who designed the blind 90 degree tunnel entrances and exits. I started pulling into one the other day and found myself facing a walker in the middle of the right lane looking at me. Good thing I am a defensive driver who was driving slowly and was able to stop.
That's why I think a walker has a better chance crossing the street above the tunnel. You can see what's coming and wait it out.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I am very interested in the results of the $6,500 traffic study being conducted by Kimley-Horn & Associates Inc. to be completed by late June. They must be giving the PWAC a super deal or the study is going to be a very small one. Also want to see how they factor into account the study not taking place during the peak season.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Platinum member

I firmly believe that this issue is way over blown. I have driven the paths for 70,000 plus miles and never had an issue. Take your time, pay attention, all will be good.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I firmly believe that this issue is way over blown. I have driven the paths for 70,000 plus miles and never had an issue. Take your time, pay attention, all will be good.
I tend to agree generally.

But due to unusual circumstances recently, I needed to drive a long way along Buena Vista north of 466a, east over to Morse, then a ways north on Morse, all after dark. I never felt in extreme danger, but there were definitely times I felt visibility should have been better. Edges were very hard to see at times. Some medians were on me very quickly. It was hard to tell sometimes whether approaching headlights were a cart on the path or a car on a nearby road.

I could see how night driving on the paths could be a problem at times, especially for those of us with less than the keen physical senses we had in our youth.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 PM
Platinum member

I must add, we dine out in The Villages at least five nights a week. We come home after dark, never had a problem
Old 06-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///
Old 07-10-2015, 04:06 PM

Stripe them both. It's 16 cents a year per household. Dig deep everyone.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:25 PM

There have only been 3 incidents per year on the paths at night and there were various causes. Most accidents happen during the day and on the roads and parking lots not the paths.

I was a golfer slip on the edge of a sand trap today. We should add a ladder and safety rail to each sand trap. It will only cost $2:00 per household. Good grief!

The consulting engineer said no! If you can't see at night don't drive or at least slow down.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.