$10 worth of tomatoes.

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Gold member
Default $10 worth of tomatoes.

Went to the Hurst farm today on 466 and got a bucket of tomatoes for $10.00. When we got home we weight them and it ended up being 24 pounds. Way to much for us to eat.

Found out after we picked them we could have just picked have a bucket for $5.00. Oh well, neighbors are enjoying them too. Still don't have the acid taste of northern tomatoes, but still not bad. At least they don't taste like "pink sawdust". LOL

He has "sandwich" tomatoes and also the roma tomatoes if your interested. Also peas.

Here's mine.
The Villages Florida

He has an add in the daily paper. Hurst farms - U-Pick.
1.5 miles west of 301 on 466.
Did a map for those interested, and he has a big sign at the drive, which leads you back towards a big field.
The Villages Florida

Someone else is also selling them next to Walmart but theirs are 40 cents a pound. They have a big "U-Pick" sign on 301/466 pointing towards Walmart. So it's kind of confusing, but we went WEST to pick ours.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran member

I know they aren't the fantastic 'Jersey Tomatoes' everyone near or in Jersey knows about and loves but they look pretty delicious to me. Time to look on the internet and find a lot of creative ways to eat them. Tomatoes are so good for you. Even the photo of them looks enticing!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default Here's an idea....

Eat as many as you can.....then take what's left before they go bad &:

- Blanche them in a pan of hot water,
- peel the skins,
- mill them or mash them up good,
- saute some diced garlic, oregano, chopped up fresh basil, salt and pepper,
- add the tomatoes, and let it cook up a long time, (you can add meatballs, sausage, etc along the way).

You now have a pot of tomato sauce. If it seems too wet, you can add a can of tomato paste.

Use some, freeze some..

Its what tomato time is all about!!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Eat as many as you can.....then take what's left before they go bad &:

- Blanche them in a pan of hot water,
- peel the skins,
- mill them or mash them up good,
- saute some diced garlic, oregano, chopped up fresh basil, salt and pepper,
- add the tomatoes, and let it cook up a long time, (you can add meatballs, sausage, etc along the way).

You now have a pot of tomato sauce. If it seems too wet, you can add a can of tomato paste.

Use some, freeze some..

Its what tomato time is all about!!!!!
Thank you so much for those reminders. I totally forgot about doing that. Guess it's been to long since I had my own garden.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I miss my Michigan grown tomatoes. Haven't found any here in Florida that compare to the taste...not even the ones we grow here ourselves!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

make sauce and freeze it
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Default BLT anyone!

Looking at those tomatoes makes me want a BLT on fresh bread!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Went to the Hurst farm today on 466 and got a bucket of tomatoes for $10.00. When we got home we weight them and it ended up being 24 pounds. Way to much for us to eat.

Found out after we picked them we could have just picked have a bucket for $5.00. Oh well, neighbors are enjoying them too. Still don't have the acid taste of northern tomatoes, but still not bad. At least they don't taste like "pink sawdust". LOL

He has "sandwich" tomatoes and also the roma tomatoes if your interested. Also peas.

Here's mine.
The Villages Florida

He has an add in the daily paper. Hurst farms - U-Pick.
1.5 miles west of 301 on 466.
Did a map for those interested, and he has a big sign at the drive, which leads you back towards a big field.
The Villages Florida

Someone else is also selling them next to Walmart but theirs are 40 cents a pound. They have a big "U-Pick" sign on 301/466 pointing towards Walmart. So it's kind of confusing, but we went WEST to pick ours.
Wal-Mart is 1.5 mi. EAST of 301 on 466!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum member

I should head out there today after my DH gets back from his walk. I know they won't be Illinois tomatoes, but at least I can pick the ones I want. At the farmers market they want you to buy a basket....

I am going to northern Illinois for a week very soon, can't wait for Selmi's sweet corn and tomatoes!

When we were kids sometimes in the summer, we would have just corn, tomatoes and cole slaw for supper. Great memories!

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
I should head out there today after my DH gets back from his walk. I know they won't be Illinois tomatoes, but at least I can pick the ones I want. At the farmers market they want you to buy a basket....

I am going to northern Illinois for a week very soon, can't wait for Selmi's sweet corn and tomatoes!

When we were kids sometimes in the summer, we would have just corn, tomatoes and cole slaw for supper. Great memories!
Connie, Travel safely back to northern Illinois. We are finally having some warmer weather (mid 80's every day). No 102 degrees like last summer, and we are 12+ inches ahead in rainfall this year, so no drought either.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Gold member

Do they have more vegetables or just tomatoes?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Their ad says tomatoes and peas. He has silver queen in the far corner, but not sure if that's ready yet. Their open Mon-Sat 8am to 6 pm. Their phone number is 352 303 1060 if you want to call them.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Good people and I commend them for taking this small patch of land and turning into a money maker. I think the tomato's are great as well as the corn and it's close to home. Down the road they have wonderful blackberries. Paradise keeps getting better and better.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.