2 children die in hot cars yesterday

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I am happy we have such successful parents posting, but curious about whether you believe, good or bad parenting, if it is a natural, normal human behavior to protect your children. The worst of parents are known to bare their teeth if their children are in jeopardy.

I simply dismiss that this "era" has somehow diminished that behavior.
As I said in my previous post, I think heightened media reporting has made us more aware that these things happen. They may have been happening before as Bogie Shooter pointed out, but most of us never even knew about it.

I do think though that there has been a trend in recent years toward more busyness (both parents and children) and more desire for material things leading to less quality family time as a result. I'm not talking all, or even a majority, but more so than I noticed in my growing up years. Of course, I could be wrong.....
Old 07-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our kids used to tell us stories about how astounded they were at the way some of their friends talked to their parents. This was in the late '80s/early '90s. I have to be honest, I don't know what we did right, if anything. But we weren't afraid to discipline them, although we never hit them. Dad had "the look," which they joke about now at age 40 & 45. I yelled a lot--very ineffective, but I really wanted to throw a frying pan, so that was the alternative. Praise the lord for them. Two boys. Argh.
This sounds vaguely familiar, except only one boy here. Raising more than that makes one a saint in my book, St CFrance. Glad to hear you were blessed in the end.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,734 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am rewriting my post because Bogie Shooter made me look at this with new eyes, with his statistics that make me see that these horrible things happen in about the same numbers every year, in fact maybe less since our population is burgeoning.

We can't change this. But none of us can stop anguishing if we have a heart.
Perhaps technology could change it. For example, a thermostat combined with a motion detector that would automatically open a window.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I am happy we have such successful parents posting, but curious about whether you believe, good or bad parenting, if it is a natural, normal human behavior to protect your children. The worst of parents are known to bare their teeth if their children are in jeopardy.

I simply dismiss that this "era" has somehow diminished that behavior.
This is probably my third attempt at posting an answer to your question, Bucco. And I still don't know if I have it right.

I do believe protecting one's young is an instinct. But I believe other things interfere--being too rushed (the parent, late for work, that forgets to drop the child off at daycare and leaves him in the car); drugs (I leave my child alone at home because I MUST satisfy my addiction); stupidity--I didn't know that XXX could harm him; laziness--I know I should do X, Y, & Z to keep him safe, but I can't make the effort for various reasons. However, if someone tries to harm my child, I am all ferocious about protecting him. But I have to be there first.

There's kind of a double standard? I think the instinct is there. I'm not convinced that it supersedes the outside forces that impinge upon it.

I just don't know, but those are my thoughts.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Perhaps technology could change it. For example, a thermostat combined with a motion detector that would automatically open a window.
Do a search on child detection devices. You will find the technology is already here...……………………...
Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 PM
Platinum member

We just got a 2017 Cadillac XTS and if ANYTHING or human is left on a seat the car honks when you try to leave car. Should be in all cars soon.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Just saw where 2 children died in hot cars yesterday in the US. 1 almost died in Florida yesterday, but someone saw the child in a car with the temperature at 94 degrees outside. The mother showed up 24 minutes later? Thought she had dropped the child off earlier???

What is wrong with parents today?
There have been parents who should not have been parents since the cave days. I am sure parents left their children out and alone while trying to find food, and these kids were eaten by animals.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
This sounds vaguely familiar, except only one boy here. Raising more than that makes one a saint in my book, St CFrance. Glad to hear you were blessed in the end.
For some unknown reason they still love me.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

How can anyone forget a child? 😡😡 I don’t care how busy people are or what they have on their mind, you don’t leave children or pets in hot vehicles. There is a special place in hell for these people.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:23 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

It appears from the graph provided, this problem started to grow in 1995-98, then jumped every year. I raised 2 of my children from a very young age and never would I be too busy, or anything, that would make me forget my children were in the car. I can think of no excuse.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
For some unknown reason they still love me.
I will TELL you why they love you. You are kind and fair and passionate about things you believe in. You are bright and funny. You are compassionate and good and a little tiny bit ornery.

And you love a goofy golden who I am very fond of too.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
It appears from the graph provided, this problem started to grow in 1995-98, then jumped every year. I raised 2 of my children from a very young age and never would I be too busy, or anything, that would make me forget my children were in the car. I can think of no excuse.
Me too, Bay Kid, me too.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Platinum member

Parents are just plain inattentiive and are wrapped up in themselves.

I have a family friend who worked at an upscale child care in Florida. She told me if they opened 7 days a week
a lot of the parents would have their kids there all week.

Why? So they can live their life. They go to the gym, spend time with their friends or go shopping.

Maybe a lot more adults should think first about WHY they want kids. If you’re going to be a parent you can’t be selfish and inattentive.

Not everyone should have kids.

Your children should be your first priority.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
Parents are just plain inattentiive and are wrapped up in themselves.

I have a family friend who worked at an upscale child care in Florida. She told me if they opened 7 days a week
a lot of the parents would have their kids there all week.

Why? So they can live their life. They go to the gym, spend time with their friends or go shopping.

Maybe a lot more adults should think first about WHY they want kids. If you’re going to be a parent you can’t be selfish and inattentive.

Not everyone should have kids.

Your children should be your first priority.
You are so right. I was totally shocked when I heard that someone left their child in day care so she could have a day off to herself. SHOCKED. And terribly saddened.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While some of these tragedies have obviously been a result of gross negligence (for whatever reason) by parents, I also believe some of them were just a horrible one-time mistake made by loving and caring parents...who are human and have to live with it every day for the rest of their lives.

Everyone can sit back and pat themselves on the back, say it could never have happened to them and their children, because 'my generation/parenting was far superior' to those now, but then one has to think about...who raised the parents to whom this happened?

I'm just grateful that I've never known anyone to which this horrible tragedy has occurred, but I'm certainly not so ignorant/arrogant to think that it... "could never happen to any parent that loves their children or are good parents."
Closed Thread

Tags
yesterday, died, child, children, hot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.