The 33rd America's Cup Challenge

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Gold member
Default The 33rd America's Cup Challenge

For those of you who enjoy sailing, the America’s Cup challenge is underway and you can see a continuous replay of the first race here at this link.

These are two enormous sailing multi-hulls going so fast that powered chase boats are having all they can do to keep pace.

Enjoy

Last edited by EdV; 02-13-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the link. Wow! Has the America's Cup Series changed. The multi-hulls are incredible. What with adjustable water ballast and adjustable airfoils at the stern the entire event is high tech. Certainly worth watching.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Super link. The technology is out of this world. The guy with the back pack to monitor everything through special glasses is right out of Star Trek. 230' mast and sail / wing is unheard of. How would you like to have a ride on the US boat? Hanging out on the outrigger going 20+knots 40 to 50 feet in the air. Just think of the money that was spent on those boats. Great to watch.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Sage

Great link - it does appear however that there isn't as much racing excitement (for lack of a better phrase). Because of the size and speed of the boats they don't jostle around as much etc. Perhaps this is why it doesn't seem to have the television coverage it once had?

Does anyone know if the switch to multi-hull is permanent? Or is that chosen by the host country?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post

Does anyone know if the switch to multi-hull is permanent? Or is that chosen by the host country?
Russ
I could be wrong on this but I think any type of hull is allowed. I do think the days of mono-hull America's Cup racing are over and everything will be multi. The drag on the hull is so greatly reduced when up on one out rigger and the speed increases greatly.

Now the next technical question would be will this be the end of the dual hull design over the multi? There has to be an overall weight difference. Would the wing sail work on a dual or is there too much support equipment needed to control the wing only a tri-hull will work.

I am just amazed at the overall technology in the boats.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Sage

Thanks - I used to crew (just glorified gopher) on a J-30 once or twice a summer in Newport Harbor on my friend's boat. But I really don't know much about the technology etc. Yet I still find it exciting to watch.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM

I hope this link works. It's a diagram of the new type boats they're using.

http://bmworacleracing.com/de/yacht/pdf/The_USA.pdf
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM

It's even more high tech than I thought.

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...campaign=Feed: gadgetell Gadgetell - www.gadgetell.com
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.