$3600. for energy assessment?

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Default $3600. for energy assessment?

I got a phone call from someone today, sounded like a telemarketer, like they were trying to sell something, but claiming they weren't selling anything, about a government energy rebate of $3600., for residents who allow them (whoever that is) to do an energy assessment. They wanted to make an appointment, and I said no thank you.

I always avoid this type of caller, and I cut the call pretty short.

Just wondering if this is legit? Should I have let them do an assessment?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Default You absolutely did the right thing.

Now, call the National Do-Not Call # 1-888-382-1222 from your home and/or cell phone and register. It's easy and takes about a minute. It is good for five years when at that time you will need to do it again. It will take 30 days to activate but after that, anyone who calls to sell you anything can be turned in and the fines are quite heavty ($11,000 I believe it is)
Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I got a phone call from someone today, sounded like a telemarketer, like they were trying to sell something, but claiming they weren't selling anything, about a GOVERNMENT ENERGY REBATE of $3600., for residents who allow them (whoever that is) TO DO AN ENERGY ASSESSMENT. They wanted to make an appointment, and I said no thank you.

Just WONDERING IF THIS IS LEGIT ? SHOULD I HAVE LET THEM DO AN ENERGY ASSESSMENT ?
Your use of the word "REBATE" ....SCREAMS flat-out SALES PITCH..
...You can NOT get a rebate without first BUYING something.....
Hanging up was the right thing to do.

Last edited by mrfixit; 03-05-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Sage

That sounds a lot like the outfit that was sending postcards in the mail with a Texas address. Supposedly, they come do an assessment then sell you a bunch of expensive energy upgrades that qualify for federal tax credits. There have been previous TOTV threads about this, including from people who hired them and were not happy and felt ripped off. There was some question about the need for the suggested items and the ability of the company to finish the work or stand by it.

Stay far, far away.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Listen to Aunt Gracie.

Don't buy anything from anybody contacting you in anyway trying to sell you, at the door, or on the phone.

Ask here if you are in the market for something. You will get twenty replies, four rants, two arguments and a general consensus of a couple of good contractors.

Also...be wary of a first few time poster on here saying how good a service is, it is usually THAT service posting and trying to sell. Not so likely if a person had other things to say first.

If we all look out for each other, things will be even better here.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

There have been several (for lack of a better word) "scams" whereby you are offered a free home energy inspection that turns out to be a hard sell for either a new HVAC that is energy efficient, solar power panels, or a solar hot water system. The "free" inspections are often thinly (very thinly) disguised hard-sell pitches. Some are long on promises and short on delivery. Many (make that "most") use qualifiers like "if you qualify" when talking about rebates, refunds, etc. Guess what - you failed to "qualify".

If you are worried about your home energy consumption, local utilities (SECO comes to mind but I think Progress Energy offers it also) offer a great and free energy audit/inspection of your home. They don't try to sell you anything - you are already their customer. YOU have to call them to schedule the inspection - they do not market it via telemarketing calls or post cards. I had one and it was well worth my time, cost nothing, and was extremely informative.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 AM

The last time we got a call for a free "energy audit" it was Pat the Plumber trying to sell us an electric hot water heater for big bucks. Beware of any "free" audits unless from a recognized utility.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

You can go to the website for Florida Power and Light and take a free on-line survey that will show you how to make your home more efficient and save money.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies! I appreciate all of you!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I got a phone call from someone today, sounded like a telemarketer, like they were trying to sell something, but claiming they weren't selling anything, about a government energy rebate of $3600., for residents who allow them (whoever that is) to do an energy assessment. They wanted to make an appointment, and I said no thank you.

Just wondering if this is legit? Should I have let them do an assessment?
If you have Progress Energy, they will do a FREE audit.
Have an energy advisor come to your home

If you'd like a room-by-room evaluation of your home's energy usage, we can come to your home to perform a Home Energy Check. Just complete the following form to request an appointment.

After the walkthrough, you'll receive your detailed report, plus a free energy-efficiency kit that includes CFLs, weather stripping and other energy-saving items that could save you up to $280 in energy costs.*

Request your free in-home Home Energy Check

Fill the form out below or call 1.877.574.0340 to request an appointment. An energy advisor will return your request within a week to schedule an appointment.

We had it done, and they installed an electric cutout that is remotely controlled by them if they need extra energy, max 15 minutes per day. Saves $148 a year, plus found out we need to seal around the ceiling vents. All were sealed as was the area around the air handler. All we paid was $35 to the vendor.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.