Aaa

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Aaa

I am serious when I ask what advantages there are to have a AAA agreement. They will come to a "breakdown" on the road and tow you to the AAA station they have under contract but if the tow is more than 5 miles you can run up bill for every mile over 5. They will not make any repairs but will sell you a battery or tires at slghtly higher than on going rates? I ask because we have been AAA members for years. Long story but steering on car failed when at the Orlando Airport, waited 4+ hours for AAA even though they said they would be there within 20 minutes about 8 times. Finally hired a taxi and went to nearest Walmart, bought steering fluid, put it in car, just made it home. My reward from AAA for stranding me and not coming was 2 $25 Shell Gas coupons. They charge for extra miles of tow, will not make any repairs, allegedly charge more than recommended retail rates for tires and batteries and want about $85 a year for this? Am I wrong in thinking this is another rip?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Gold member

Stopped using AAA many years ago due to increasing cost, fewer benefits and long tow wait times. Now I use my insurance companies roadside assistance for $20/yr. Sure no maps, but who needs it with gps. Hotel, cruise, air discounts I get being a vet if applicable or use online deals.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:53 PM
Sage
Default Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I am serious when I ask what advantages there are to have a AAA agreement. They will come to a "breakdown" on the road and tow you to the AAA station they have under contract but if the tow is more than 5 miles you can run up bill for every mile over 5. They will not make any repairs but will sell you a battery or tires at slghtly higher than on going rates? I ask because we have been AAA members for years. Long story but steering on car failed when at the Orlando Airport, waited 4+ hours for AAA even though they said they would be there within 20 minutes about 8 times. Finally hired a taxi and went to nearest Walmart, bought steering fluid, put it in car, just made it home. My reward from AAA for stranding me and not coming was 2 $25 Shell Gas coupons. They charge for extra miles of tow, will not make any repairs, allegedly charge more than recommended retail rates for tires and batteries and want about $85 a year for this? Am I wrong in thinking this is another rip?

The plan I have provides for one 200 mile tow per year, as well as unlimited 100 mile tows. With my wife using a rollator I want to be certain she is well covered. The premier plan, with all its options, is worth it for peace of mind.

Member Benefits Chart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have been a member for at least 20 years. Used them only a few times but always had good service. I am being serious when I say this. I know the second I drop them, I will be stranded somewhere, just like everything breaks the day after warranty runs out.

Last edited by Villager Joyce; 06-11-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Platinum member
Smile I Love AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
The plan I have provides for one 200 mile tow per year, as well as unlimited 100 mile tows. With my wife using a rollator I want to be certain she is well covered. The premier plan, with all its options, is worth it for peace of mind.

Member Benefits Chart

I, too, have the AAA Premier Membership. As my disability increased several years ago, I upgraded from the Classic Membership, specifically for the towing benefits. Also, I am no longer capable of changing a flat tire.

Most of my travel is between Tampa and The Villages, 75 miles door-to-door between my two abodes. With Premier Membership I can get free towing the entire distance if needed.

Also, since the coverage is for whatever vehicle I am in, I have used it to get my son's car towed from TV to Tampa when it broke down. In the past few days I had to get my car towed the last 20 miles into Tampa when I had engine problems.

In addition, I have had to call for flat tire service twice in the road construction areas north of Tampa. Last year my gas gauge failed and I ran out of gas. In all cases, the AAA service man arrived sooner than their estimate. (Of course it still seemed a long time while sitting on the side of the road.)

I have been a AAA member since long before there were GPS apps, or even cell phones, and my wife and I traveled a lot. The Tour Books, free maps, Trip Tix, motel discounts, preferential parking at Disney World, Cruise Bookings, and many other conveniences and discounts made the membership worthwhile.

Different people have different perceptions and different needs.

I have been quite satisfied with my AAA membership.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post

I, too, have the AAA Premier Membership. As my disability increased several years ago, I upgraded from the Classic Membership, specifically for the towing benefits. Also, I am no longer capable of changing a flat tire.

Most of my travel is between Tampa and The Villages, 75 miles door-to-door between my two abodes. With Premier Membership I can get free towing the entire distance if needed.

Also, since the coverage is for whatever vehicle I am in, I have used it to get my son's car towed from TV to Tampa when it broke down. In the past few days I had to get my car towed the last 20 miles into Tampa when I had engine problems.

In addition, I have had to call for flat tire service twice in the road construction areas north of Tampa. Last year my gas gauge failed and I ran out of gas. In all cases, the AAA service man arrived sooner than their estimate. (Of course it still seemed a long time while sitting on the side of the road.)

I have been a AAA member since long before there were GPS apps, or even cell phones, and my wife and I traveled a lot. The Tour Books, free maps, Trip Tix, motel discounts, preferential parking at Disney World, Cruise Bookings, and many other conveniences and discounts made the membership worthwhile.

Different people have different perceptions and different needs.

I have been quite satisfied with my AAA membership.

Carl - I've been negligent for not thanking you for all your past service before today. I hope you are feeling well.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

AAA Plus member for 18 years. We have used their services a number of times and would not "leave home without it". Your golf cart is also covered, however, never used it but I know some who have and they were very happy with the service.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Default Aarp road service

If you are an AARP Member... they have two or three types of road services.. I have used them twice and found to be terrific and affordable... give them a call and get details or maybe catch their website...
Old 06-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Makes Sense

I am sure if we had serious medical problems that would demand quick action that AAA would make sense. We have had them for many years but my experience at the Orlando Airport where they left me totally stranded really soured me on them and their service. I do have CC's that give me service, belong to AARP, etc and I will see how they compare. But my trust in AAA was lost.
Closed Thread

Tags
aaa, tow, miles, charge, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.