AAA Battery replacement service

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2023, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts
Default AAA Battery replacement service

I just had the (2) batteries changed in my truck, 4.5 years old OEM, and i have had an app warning about the battery condition. . .

I called AAA and the gentleman was here within 15 minutes.
He tested the battery, but i told him to just replace them.

In 30 minutes, both batteries were changed out,
at $180 per battery, which is the same price as retail purchase of any competing 65 sized 12 volt car battery.

And the technician said, he can't believe now that you can't save any money changing out the battery yourself. Battery mfg is Interstate, which I have used before. Their battery specs the same or similar or better than the retail options DIY prices. How does AAA make money? Bulk purchases of batteries and customer satisfaction. . recipe for success anytime

So, for uze guyz who want cheap and quick and are members of AAA, best option around.

have a great day!

retired finance guy
Old 11-17-2023, 12:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I read the heading and thought you were paying someone to replace some AAA-size batteries!
Old 11-17-2023, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

If you had AAA why didn’t they change them for free of charge? If not why are you paying them? I’ve got battery tester ANCEL BTS200 that tells me condition of battery when I suspect the cranking sounds differently. WHEN THE CCAs get low enough the cranking sound changes meaning the battery can go anytime. The Analyzer indicates the battery needs changed. Which IMO same theming AAA doing. My neighbor has AAA and they wouldn’t replace her battery, she asked me to check it, the analyzer said it was bad after they left. the next day it was dead. She should of demanded AAA change battery IMO.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you had AAA why didn’t they change them for free of charge? If not why are you paying them? I’ve got battery tester ANCEL BTS200 that tells me condition of battery when I suspect the cranking sounds differently. WHEN THE CCAs get low enough the cranking sound changes meaning the battery can go anytime. The Analyzer indicates the battery needs changed. Which IMO same theming AAA doing. My neighbor has AAA and they wouldn’t replace her battery, she asked me to check it, the analyzer said it was bad after they left. the next day it was dead. She should of demanded AAA change battery IMO.
You have to buy the batteries, they don't give you batteries for free.
The cost of the batteries are the same as if I bought them retail and changed them myself.

The labor is free, the disposal is free. .

you are the second poster who thinks you get batteries for free. . . i don't get where people get these free ideas. The replacement service is free, the replacement product has a cost.

must be the retirement mentality to get everything for free.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
The cost of the batteries are the same as if I bought them retail and changed them myself.

you are the second poster who thinks you get batteries for free. . . i don't get where people get these free ideas. The replacement service is free, the replacement product has a cost.

Cause I do my own free replacement labor. AAA waste of money IMO 90% never use the service.but for some that can’t find dipstick it’s probably worth it.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Cause I do my own free replacement labor. AAA waste of money IMO 90% never use the service.but for some that can’t find dipstick it’s probably worth it.
Not a big expense. Have used them a couple times when on road trips and "stuff" happens. Nice having a National service company so no matter where we go we have that "insurance".

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-17-2023, 09:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Not a big expense. Have used them a couple times when on road trips and "stuff" happens. Nice having a National service company so no matter where we go we have that "insurance".
AAA is like insurance, you don't need it until you need it. And you need it when you are not local and something happens. And yes, I have only used it a couple of times in 40 years for the same reason, but it was when something broke on the way to work, which was for nearly 8 years, a 4 - 5 hour drive to work and a 4 - 5 hour drive home.

For the battery, they did the free labor.

Agree with JoMar
Old 11-17-2023, 10:57 PM
Sage

Ok, found out more information on neighbor, her car was in garage? I guess that makes difference? She said she had to paid for battery AAA wouldn’t do nothing with it in garage. I asked her the cost and said around 150 to 200 year? She was under the impression they change battery for free having AAA. I think some people that get AAA have that impression?
Old 11-18-2023, 04:56 AM
Veteran member

Topspin, I have AAA for 5 years ( instead of paying every year ) and it cost $95 total. As a matter of fact, my 5 year plan is up next year.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:31 AM

Quote:

I think it's more of a reading comprehension problem.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:27 AM

If someone has AAA, you assume we don't know where a dipstick is? That itself explains the intelligence you might be showing, is yours.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:49 AM
Default The same

Quote:
I just had the (2) batteries changed in my truck, 4.5 years old OEM, and i have had an app warning about the battery condition. . .

I called AAA and the gentleman was here within 15 minutes.
He tested the battery, but i told him to just replace them.

In 30 minutes, both batteries were changed out,
at $180 per battery, which is the same price as retail purchase of any competing 65 sized 12 volt car battery.

And the technician said, he can't believe now that you can't save any money changing out the battery yourself. Battery mfg is Interstate, which I have used before. Their battery specs the same or similar or better than the retail options DIY prices. How does AAA make money? Bulk purchases of batteries and customer satisfaction. . recipe for success anytime

So, for uze guyz who want cheap and quick and are members of AAA, best option around.

have a great day!

retired finance guy
I’ve had the same experience. One of the perks of AAA membership.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:59 AM

One can purchase the same, or similar coverage, via their Auto Insurance policy-- for a lot less money. This option is usually called: "Towing and Labor Costs". You have an 800 number to call. The insurance companies probably use the same service stations as AAA uses. The cost of this option for me is $5.00 for 6 months. Additional "Transportation" services can be added also to your Auto Insurance policy.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
How was it a waste of money, it literally cost him no more than going and buying the battery and replacing it himself. If the truck is is only vehicle, how could he go buy a battery himself? It pays for itself when you are broken down on the side of the road.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,742 Times in 5,255 Posts

My AAA membership is $75 per year. I have never tried it, but according to their website, if you buy gift cards at one of the AAA stores, you will earn 3 percent in AAA dollars, which can be used for the membership renewal. Has anyone ever used this method to pay for their renewal?
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, aaa, batteries, retail, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.