AAA Battery replacement service

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2023, 09:34 AM
Default Auto insurance versus AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkorn12@aol.com View Post
One can purchase the same, or similar coverage, via their Auto Insurance policy-- for a lot less money. This option is usually called: "Towing and Labor Costs". You have an 800 number to call. The insurance companies probably use the same service stations as AAA uses. The cost of this option for me is $5.00 for 6 months. Additional "Transportation" services can be added also to your Auto Insurance policy.
I believe your auto insurance company is only going to provide a tow or rental not like AAA at all , they will provide free labor to replace your battery or give you a jump . Your auto policy does not cover labor to replace a car battery.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:41 AM
Default Your labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Cause I do my own free replacement labor. AAA waste of money IMO 90% never use the service.but for some that can’t find dipstick it’s probably worth it.
Just curious how you feel about the value of your time changing a battery out you purchased and find out it’s defective whilst AAA
doesn’t charge labor and has multiple batteries on their truck .
Some good feelings come over me when AAA shows up and takes care of my problem while I’m relaxing and enjoying my day.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkorn12@aol.com View Post
One can purchase the same, or similar coverage, via their Auto Insurance policy-- for a lot less money. This option is usually called: "Towing and Labor Costs". You have an 800 number to call. The insurance companies probably use the same service stations as AAA uses. The cost of this option for me is $5.00 for 6 months. Additional "Transportation" services can be added also to your Auto Insurance policy.
I don't know how true it is, but I read that you should not buy that coverage as part of your auto insurance because, if you file a claim, it can affect your overall auto insurance rate.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

My credit card supplier gives auto breakdown and recovery as a perk.
Any car that I am traveling in, not only my own.
If they cannot fix your car, they will get me and car home from anywhere in UK, or if traveling in Europe, to a main agent, and pay for hotel during repair.
Used it once for battery replacement. Took and hour and a half from initial phone call and replacement to back on road.
Battery was about 20% more than I could have bought and fitted it myself, but when miles from home on a $hitty night, who cares!
Old 11-18-2023, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
Just curious how you feel about the value of your time changing a battery out you purchased and find out it’s defective whilst AAA
doesn’t charge labor and has multiple batteries on their truck .
Some good feelings come over me when AAA shows up and takes care of my problem while I’m relaxing and enjoying my day.

I’m retired, I got all time in world what’s left. Now when I am unable to do it and if I’m still driving I’ll consider it.
Agree some people needs service that do lot of traveling and they may have no clue how to change battery on modern vehicles.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know how true it is, but I read that you should not buy that coverage as part of your auto insurance because, if you file a claim, it can affect your overall auto insurance rate.
I've had AAA a long time. Had a dead battery, had AAA come out and replace the battery then and there. A great convenience.

Since then the "new" battery went dead in year - they came out and replaced it at no charge . A year and a half later that one went dead and they replaced it for free again. This battery had a three year warranty. No proration - full replacement.

It may talk to the quality of the battery that it needed replacement twice but AAA stood behind it. And they came within 20 minutes.

Also auto policies towing policies cover the car. AAA policy covers the driver no matter what car they are driving at the time.
Old 11-18-2023, 11:11 AM

Sad story about AAA.
My mom, years ago (and not here) had AAA replace her battery. I wasn't thrilled because they charged her a lot, and I could have done it myself.
About 1.5 years later, it was dead again. They refused to honor the warranty because the battery was 5 years old.
We found the receipt for the battery I put in about 5 years prior, and it was the same battery that was still in the car. Hmm.

Moral of this story... Verify the mfg and name of that "new" battery. Check the date code to be sure you are not getting ripped of by paying for an old, but shiny looking, "new" battery. Watch them change the battery.
Not implying AAA here would ever do that, but in general there are dishonest people that take advantage of older people. Always be vigilant.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:38 PM
Default Same Situation as her for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Ok, found out more information on neighbor, her car was in garage? I guess that makes difference? She said she had to paid for battery AAA wouldn’t do nothing with it in garage. I asked her the cost and said around 150 to 200 year? She was under the impression they change battery for free having AAA. I think some people that get AAA have that impression?
Yes, I kind of agree with you. I can do most things like this easily, but my wife gets AAA for both of us.

I found our car battery dead one day and was upset at having to remove the battery, take it to a store and purchase another one and then schlepping the new one back home for installation. A hassle. The wife said to call AAA and I did. The entire process was taken care of with the car in the garage and they did everything FOR ME. The cost was $180.00, which is what I was looking at for a new battery with all of the work. I felt that the insurance was worth it that day, and whenever we travel (which is at least once a week between The Villages and Merritt Island to our other house).

I didn't like AAA much before, but was impressed by the response and the cost overall.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:33 AM
Default AAA 30 year member

Been with AAA for 30 years. We pay for our kids too. We have used them change flat tires, unlock a car, deliver gas, change out batteries. Up north, they have AAA service centers for car repairs. We have purchased car and home insurance through them. They have a ridiculous number of member benefits and discounts.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:22 AM
Default Worth Every Penny

It's humorous to read all the RP's who know how to change a battery and save a few dollars. I expect they can also straighten bent nails with their teeth.

The OP took the time to tell others about the great service she received from AAA. If you want to have a high degree of security, safety, and convenience pay the few dollars for membership in AAA. If you don't, be certain to make a post telling everyone how tough you are and the money you saved after you have changed a tire on a rainy night on the side of an Interstate with trucks going past you at 70mph and covering you from head to toe with dirty water.

There are emergency service plans available from other companies. As one RP noted, many credit cards provide a similar benefit. However, none of these begin to compare to AAA. The fact is that AAA has contracts with reputable and tested towing companies in all states. These companies want to be on AAA's list of providers and they work to meet its high standards. It doesn't matter if the problem is a flat tire, an engine failure, or if you forgot to fill your gas tank. Make a call and AAA will have a qualified service company come to you; get you back on the road; or, will tow you to a garage. If it is Christmas day and nothing is open, AAA will provide a tow to a garage or dealership, drop your car, and take you to a hotel or your home (believe me, I know this from personal experience). I just read an article in Car & Driver magazine where it was testing EV's on long road trips. When the test driver was unable to find a working charging station and the EV was dead, he used his AAA membership for a tow to a working charger.

I've been a member of AAA for 50 years in three states. I've probably used its roadside service or battery service no more than 6 or 7 times over these years. However, every time I have, I was
thankful for the quality of the service and happy to have spent the small annual fee for the membership.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I just had the (2) batteries changed in my truck, 4.5 years old OEM, and i have had an app warning about the battery condition. . .

I called AAA and the gentleman was here within 15 minutes.
He tested the battery, but i told him to just replace them.

In 30 minutes, both batteries were changed out,
at $180 per battery, which is the same price as retail purchase of any competing 65 sized 12 volt car battery.

And the technician said, he can't believe now that you can't save any money changing out the battery yourself. Battery mfg is Interstate, which I have used before. Their battery specs the same or similar or better than the retail options DIY prices. How does AAA make money? Bulk purchases of batteries and customer satisfaction. . recipe for success anytime

So, for uze guyz who want cheap and quick and are members of AAA, best option around.

have a great day!

retired finance guy
Here’s some more information nobody asked for ;-)

I’ve had AAA for probably 30 years and maybe used the emergency road service half a dozen times. It’s not much money per year and worth the peace of mind for me to have someone to call that I know will respond quickly. I’ve used the battery service before and it’s pretty slick.

I’d never used their travel service but for some reason used them to rent a car a year or so ago. Long story short, the rental car company charged me for a bunch of stuff I never asked for and when I complained (both verbally and in writing) they told me to pound sand. I finally let AAA know what happened and within a day or so I had a full refund and an apology. I guess they have some sway. Good to know.
Old 11-19-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I just had the (2) batteries changed in my truck, 4.5 years old OEM, and i have had an app warning about the battery condition. . .

I called AAA and the gentleman was here within 15 minutes.
He tested the battery, but i told him to just replace them.

In 30 minutes, both batteries were changed out,
at $180 per battery, which is the same price as retail purchase of any competing 65 sized 12 volt car battery.

And the technician said, he can't believe now that you can't save any money changing out the battery yourself. Battery mfg is Interstate, which I have used before. Their battery specs the same or similar or better than the retail options DIY prices. How does AAA make money? Bulk purchases of batteries and customer satisfaction. . recipe for success anytime

So, for uze guyz who want cheap and quick and are members of AAA, best option around.

have a great day!

retired finance guy
I see the 65 series with 850 CCA for $140 each at Walmart. Somewhat cheaper but maybe not worth the hassle of doing it yourself and turning in the core
Old 11-19-2023, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
I see the 65 series with 850 CCA for $140 each at Walmart. Somewhat cheaper but maybe not worth the hassle of doing it yourself and turning in the core
Thanks, that would have been a savings of $80, though not sure about standing behind the warranty and replacing a failed battery myself somewhere not in my driveway with a second car and a walmart across town.

One of the big advantages of AAA battery service is having it fail within 3 years anywhere and getting a new replacement and replaced anywhere whenever. . . I seldom do walmart anymore unless its the only choice, just my preference.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

I replaced the batteries in my electric Club Car I got from Sams. Was it worth the trouble? NO. AAA performs a service, worth it.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We have GM concierge service, with 10 year bumper to bumper with a small deductible. If I can’t get to the dealer then they pickup and deliver.

Never kept a car that long but who knows

Tags
battery, aaa, batteries, retail, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.