After moving to Florida did it meet your expectations ?

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Ain't it the truth!

My wife and I moved here going on two years ago. Just yesterday we were talking about the things about living in Minnesota that we don't miss (and that a many native Floridians have no clue about. Here are a few.

1. Snow shovels.
2. Warming up the car in the morning before leaving for work.
3. Scraping snow and ice off the car when it is -10 out there.
4. Ruinously high taxes.
5. Watching as our deck gets progressively buried by snow over the winter.
6. Not buying a vehicle unless it has four-wheel drive or AWD.
7. Applying for anything at the license bureau and then waiting for 3 months for it to come in the mail.
8. Snail-slow internet (unless you sign a contract for 2 years at $120 a month).
9. The weather dictating your travel plans.
10. Cabin fever.

None of those, plus a lot more, here in TV.
Haha. Good ones.

As far as meeting my expectations, yes! Although I visited every year for five years before we moved here, so I knew what to expect. Good and bad.

The only thing that took me, was just how hot the summers are. I had never been to FL outside of Jan-Apr. The last three summers have affected my health. I've been going to an array of doctors but they haven't found anything yet. My wife likes the heat but for me , I feel great in the fall and winter, but lousy everytime else.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
.....and now the traffic is horrible here.
I get a laugh everytime I see a post on how terrible
the traffic is in TV.
I grew up in Chicago and dealt with real horrible traffic there,
and in its surrounding suburbs for years
before moving here!
And by the way, even though it’s not perfect,
I love living here
Old 04-06-2022, 02:54 PM

It exceeded ours...but we had been planning a move to Florida for at least 10 years before it ever became a reality. We like it so well we bought a second home (condo actually) on the ocean and use it as a vacation place when we want to boat and enjoy some sun with a beach.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteph View Post

Lastly, I positively didn't know that the wages for work done in Central Florida were 33% - 50% lower than the same work performed in another state (East Coast). This was a complete shock and completely my error to have not researched.
For the reason TV is taken over by people the northeast states.
They all came down here with fat wallets and living down here now on Florida's homestead.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

We love all the activities in The Villages. The state of Florida, not so much. Not crazy about the politics, racism, and the summers are brutal, so we leave and travel to cooler climates to escape the heat.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

I don't have any negative feelings about our decision to buy a place in TV, but then, we are not here in the hot summer months. When we were considering where we wanted to spend our winters, escaping the Upstate NY weather, I wasn't sure this area would be warm enough for me. My folks retired to Bonita Springs (between Naples and Ft. Myers) and many times I noticed that during the colder snaps, it might be 15 degrees cooler here than there.
We chose TV for the typical reason: The "Lifestyle"...access to the rec centers, golf, pickle, and plenty of people around to enjoy those things with. I didn't care if the courses weren't in condition to rival the more expensive private clubs. I'd rather have people to meet. I have belonged to private clubs, and so did my folks, and what I always found was that once members had their small groups of friends, they tended to not be inclusive to strangers. Just the opposite here. I have more people asking me to join their groups than I have time to play.
As for the weather, what surprised me was how much I like it, except for the few times when it's really cold AND really windy. Bonita Springs was more tropical, but I find many cooler days here remind me of wonderful Autumn weather up north, the glorious Indian Summer days, of relative warmth and no humidity and gentle breezes. In that regard, the weather was pretty much what I expected, but my enjoyment of that weather exceeds my expectations.
Other than a few TOTV sourpusses, everyone I encounter is cheerful and friendly. Well, I have met a couple of grouchy golf starters, and one grouchy, rude rec center employee, out of dozens and dozens, that's a small percent and easily dismissed.
We've had kids and grandkids visit, and it's amazed me repeatedly how much fun young people have in a place built for old people. So that also has exceeded my expectations.
Actually, the traffic is less onerous than I expected. But then, I've spent time in the Naples/Ft. Myers corridor and that's very busy. By comparison, TV is a dream.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I don't have any negative feelings about our decision to buy a place in TV, but then, we are not here in the hot summer months. When we were considering where we wanted to spend our winters, escaping the Upstate NY weather, I wasn't sure this area would be warm enough for me. My folks retired to Bonita Springs (between Naples and Ft. Myers) and many times I noticed that during the colder snaps, it might be 15 degrees cooler here than there.
We chose TV for the typical reason: The "Lifestyle"...access to the rec centers, golf, pickle, and plenty of people around to enjoy those things with. I didn't care if the courses weren't in condition to rival the more expensive private clubs. I'd rather have people to meet. I have belonged to private clubs, and so did my folks, and what I always found was that once members had their small groups of friends, they tended to not be inclusive to strangers. Just the opposite here. I have more people asking me to join their groups than I have time to play.
As for the weather, what surprised me was how much I like it, except for the few times when it's really cold AND really windy. Bonita Springs was more tropical, but I find many cooler days here remind me of wonderful Autumn weather up north, the glorious Indian Summer days, of relative warmth and no humidity and gentle breezes. In that regard, the weather was pretty much what I expected, but my enjoyment of that weather exceeds my expectations.
Other than a few TOTV sourpusses, everyone I encounter is cheerful and friendly. Well, I have met a couple of grouchy golf starters, and one grouchy, rude rec center employee, out of dozens and dozens, that's a small percent and easily dismissed.
We've had kids and grandkids visit, and it's amazed me repeatedly how much fun young people have in a place built for old people. So that also has exceeded my expectations.
Actually, the traffic is less onerous than I expected. But then, I've spent time in the Naples/Ft. Myers corridor and that's very busy. By comparison, TV is a dream.
The Villages Florida

Except for the weather part. Yes, it's hot and humid in the Summer. You know where else it's hot and humid in the Summer? Back home in the DC area...

Since we bought out home, we've been in TV in June, July AND August. No major difference than up in the DC area... Maybe just more afternoon showers... Big whoop...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-09-2022, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
A tough decision for most - after moving to Florida did it meet your expectations ?

PLEASE ONLY POSITIVE RESPONSES ALLOWED.

Nope.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

If you hate it here or love it here you got to remember as you age things change.

I lived 75 years in Wisconsin making a living, raising a family, experiencing the snow,
and doing what all the things people do up there, complain about the weather.

I had 6 boats, did lots of fishing.
Had two snowmobiles, cross country skiing, owned a ice fishing shack.
Own two Goldwing motorcycles and triked one.
Had season tickets to all the Packer games.

Now I'm 80 years old leaving all these things behind including those winters.
My family lives here in Florida, so I suppose there isn't to many choices left.

Besides, at this age this will be "God's waiting room for me".

Cheers!
Old 04-09-2022, 02:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
If you hate it here or love it here you got to remember as you age things change.

I lived 75 years in Wisconsin making a living, raising a family, experiencing the snow,
and doing what all the things people do up there, complain about the weather.

I had 6 boats, did lots of fishing.
Had two snowmobiles, cross country skiing, owned a ice fishing shack.
Own two Goldwing motorcycles and triked one.
Had season tickets to all the Packer games.

Now I'm 80 years old leaving all these things behind including those winters.
My family lives here in Florida, so I suppose there isn't to many choices left.

Besides, at this age this will be "God's waiting room for me".

Cheers!
I hope you have a nice long, comfortable wait in the waiting room before they call you in for your appointment.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, meet, expectations, moving, responses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.