Age prejudice. How can we counter it? Is it real,or paranoia?

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Just a hunch, but if you were to count the number of automobile accidents that occur in the Villages you'd see those statistics change pretty significantly.

That would probably explain why some fora that are specific to the Villages, harp on old people who shouldn't drive. Get a whole bunch of old people together, make everyone who isn't old a significant minority (less than 20%), and you'll probably see a lot of old people doing a lot of stupid things, and very few younger people doing a lot of stupid things.

But that's because there just aren't a lot of younger people in that location.
In The Villages, 58 is "younger people". They still have many decades of knowledge to absorb and digest and lord it over others with.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I agree with age discrimination. Children should not act like adults. I also think those of us over 60 would be better off to take advice from middle age people than give it. Too many old folks use the lame excuse “I have experience” to give advice to younger people that have much sharper minds and are not slowed from medication.

So: Until your over 25, shut up and listen.
When your over 60, shut up and listen.

Now in my 70’s, I am thankful for my children and the spouses to give me advice. Ya gotta love and respect nature.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Discrimination against people over 40 is illegal in the job market. I can remember working for the Federal Government, where there are people in their 80's and 90's, still on the job, and no way to make them retire. Most of them have more than 18 months of accumulated sick leave, and some use it very often. They are collecting the highest pay in the Government, and many produce very little work, although there are exceptions. But, nothing can be done about the non-producers.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I didn't think age prejudice existed when I was younger. I do not think it is prevalent but it does occur.

I don't like judging whole groups of people and dismissing them. It isn't fair based on any criteria.

Do you see and feel age prejudice in real life or on this forum? How old are you?

I can't believe it but I am 79.
Of course age prejudice exists. It always has and it always will. I often have trouble listening to what twenty somethings have to say.

Teenagers think that they know everything to they don't want to listen to adults.

Some of this is justified and some is not. It's not something that I worry about.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Some folks are simply are too naïve (and/or ignorant?), and will never understand that 'intelligence/wisdom/common sense' and 'longevity'...are NOT synonymous.

As much as a lot of folks wished differently, age, in and of itself...does not automatically imbue some type of 'superiority of knowledge.'

I primarily see this in those who are older and become angry & upset, that their viewpoints/opinions are ever even questioned or challenged, by anyone...even those just a few years younger.

Not to say that additional experience isn't important...because it very much is.

As long as you're actually getting real 'experience' and aren't just adding to that which you've done hundreds of times...and aren't learning anything new.

Which, IMHO, proves another of my personal viewpoints, which is; There is a huge difference in years of service'...versus years of 'experience.'

I've seen many people with 40 years of service, who were much less effective/proficient...than someone with 20 years of actual experience.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,379 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Respect always has to be earned, whether by young or old. In my native country the young, particularly university students, were often historically the leaders of change. People listened to them. Because they deserved it.
Empty vessels make the most noise!
Old 09-02-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I have friends who are in their late 50's/early 60's who are very highly educated, intelligent, and experienced professionals who can't find work. One is an extremely smart mechanical engineer who is totally sick of being rejected for jobs by much younger and less experienced people.
I worked for a year just prior to retiring as an engineering and management recruiter aka “headhunter” and I can tell you age discrimination is an everyday thing in the business world. Even though they knew it was illegal more than a few companies would tell me not to send them any applicants over a certain age. I ignored their requests and sent them anyone who was qualified no matter how old they were. Even though it happens all the time age discrimination is almost impossible to prove in a lawsuit.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
I worked for a year just prior to retiring as an engineering and management recruiter aka “headhunter” and I can tell you age discrimination is an everyday thing in the business world. Even though they knew it was illegal more than a few companies would tell me not to send them any applicants over a certain age. I ignored their requests and sent them anyone who was qualified no matter how old they were. Even though it happens all the time age discrimination is almost impossible to prove in a lawsuit.
I know that it is illegal to discriminate against a job applicant in their 50's, 60's, and 70's, but does the law really make sense? If you are trying to run a profitable business, do you want to invest in someone who is that close to retirement? There are people in their 80's and 90's with Government jobs being paid more than anyone else, who call in sick 2 or 3 days per week, and it is illegal to even ask them to retire. But, the Government can afford to pay those people. Businesses who need to make a profit cannot.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:34 AM
Veteran member
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Well, I am now 77 years of age. What I recall is I needed to be six years old by the end of the calendar year to enter first grade, could obtain a driver's license at age 16, became eligible for the draft and had to register at age 18, could drink alcohol legally at age 21 in the the state where I resided at the time, became eligible to vote at age 21, obtained medicare at age 65 and so on. Oh, and I became "legal" to buy a home in a 55 and over community at...surprise...age 55! Were these requirements, 'age prejudice'?

Gee, so much in life is age related!

For me, life has been a journey through several phases. After becoming an 'official' adult at age 21 the phases have pretty much been decade by decade. In general during my twenties people expected me to conduct myself as a man in his twenties and I suppose I did. Similarly during my thirties, forties and so on my life played out on an age related path.

Our bodies and our brains grow, mature and decline with age. That is the way it is. Yes, people treat me differently at age 77 than they did at age 17, 27 or even 57, as they should. I accept my age. I take care of myself physically, mentally and spiritually and live in the present without resentment.

I do not feel people treating me as a 77 year old is 'age prejudice'. I would not want to fly on a commercial airliner captained by a 77 year old. Too, I am willing to get my eyes checked and submit to written and road driving tests to retain my driver's license when necessary.

Well said and truly agreed with!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

I get some of this age prejudice here on this forum and in other places. I'm "not old enough" to know this or that. I haven't had the experience to chime in about this or that. I haven't been seasoned long enough to ask questions about this or that. I feel, often, like I'm being treated like a 10-year-old - a pat on the head, a "go play with your friends now and don't worry about it" and just flat out dismissal. I can't possibly have anything to contribute, because I'm not old enough.

And then I get the exact opposite from younger folks, especially new management in retail gigs. They think I'm too old to know how things work "these days" because I was their age way back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Except, what they forget, is that the guy who invented the computer is 20 years older than I am, and I'm the only one in the entire store who knows how to count change without an electronic device telling me how much to give back.

They call IT to fix the system, and I swap out the old cable when no one's looking and report to the boss that it magickally started working again.

I can also twerk better than most of them.

So I get it from all sides. The young folks think I'm too old to be in touch with their generation. The old folks think I'm too young to appreciate the trials, tribulations, and benefits of being older.

They're both wrong, so I just have to do me, and let them do them.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Platinum member

Seems it’s become very fashionable to be a victim.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I don't know how it happened but I am a month or two away from 79!
Anyway, I don't really feel any age discrimination in my life. We experience more fascination by younger people....they wonder how we do all that we do.
Yes, sure we may walk slower, drive a little slower.......but that's only in the bubble. When in Boston we drive faster, walk faster......it's survival of the fittest in the outside world!
I will admit we do have a granddaughter who calls us "the oldies".
Nothing like a walk around castle Island and a stroll through the North End.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Mrs. KC and I went to see “The Boys of Summer” at Savannah the other night; while getting ready for the show to start, my wife (59 y/o) looked at me and said “boy, a lot of these people in the audience are old”. 🤣🤣🤣
Old 09-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

My father was 90 before he reluctantly moved with my 83 year old mother to an age restricted community. It was like pulling teeth to get them to move out of their house in a regular neighborhood. Even then he said "I do not want to live around those old folks." lol

After my brother and I got them there they both went on about much they liked it and how they should have moved there sooner.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Mrs. KC and I went to see “The Boys of Summer” at Savannah the other night; while getting ready for the show to start, my wife (59 y/o) looked at me and said “boy, a lot of these people in the audience are old”. 🤣🤣🤣
The first night we were in TV almost 10 years ago (I was 64 my wife 63) we went to the live entertainment at Sumter Landing. I looked around and laughed and told my wife "I feel like a freshman in college again at the beginning of school mixer".

Tags
prejudice, age, feel, fair, based

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.