Aging bird cage framing?

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2023, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Aging bird cage framing?

Our bird cage is 15 years old. We had all the screening replaced a couple of years ago.

Now starting to see a lot of rusting screws and a whitening of the bottom rails (not mold...more like calcium deposit).

I am not sure painting is a practical option. I am curious what others have done with their aging bird cage frame.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:45 AM
Default I had all the rusting screws replaced when I had the screen replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Our bird cage is 15 years old. We had all the screening replaced a couple of years ago.

Now starting to see a lot of rusting screws and a whitening of the bottom rails (not mold...more like calcium deposit).

I am not sure painting is a practical option. I am curious what others have done with their aging bird cage frame.

10 years ago every time I walked out on my pool deck all I could see was hundreds of rusting screws and sagging screens.
I had my screens replaced by Todd's and I had all the rusting screws replaced at the same time. They replaced all the rusting #6 screws with #8. If they couldn't get a screw out they drilled a new hole and put in a new screw. It was a lot of work and they spent a lot more time than planned and they did a great job.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:50 AM
Platinum member

I also had all screws replaces with stainless.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Can you share who did the work for you or was it DIY?
Old 01-06-2023, 12:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Can you share who did the work for you or was it DIY?
It was about five years ago, and T & D was already working on screen cage.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,973 Times in 755 Posts

What to put between steel and aluminum

When using stainless steel fasteners with aluminum surfaces, you can prevent corrosion by placing something between the two metals. Plastic or rubber washers or gaskets are good suggestions.

Along with corrosion, discoloration of stainless steel may occur when combined with aluminum. This is also called ‘tea staining’. Discoloration can be prevented by the use of insulation and regular maintenance. Passivation can also be used to create the passive film on the fastener for better corrosion resistance.

Personally experienced this in the Military with aluminum supperstructure on vessels ALUMINUM SCREES AND RIVETS SHOULD BE USED.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

I have concerns about using aluminum screws, everytime I have tried to use these they have sheared or broken off, they do not have the strength of steel or stainless steel. While I am not an expert in metal corrosion I have never seen stainless steel corrode when in contact with aluminum. In any case, I would ask an expert in birdcage design if aluminum screws would be acceptable from a load bearing consideration. Stainless steel screws are available from all of the big box stores in Phillips head, not sure I have seen hex head type. If you are doing a DIY here is what I would do: take existing steel screws out one row at a time, clean any rust stain off (try sno-cap), then dry the area and install new stainless-steel screws. Vinegar or similar weak acid MAY clean the calcium buildup, however if the original anodizing has failed some paint may be required.
I have had very poor luck with painting aluminum that has had a corrosion problem, I would suggest going to a boat repair facility to find out how they repair the paint on aluminum boats. DO NOT EVER use a STEEL tool on aluminum if you intend to paint the aluminum, the paint will fail.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:18 AM
Default J and J services 352-702-6376

[QUOTE=billethkid;2173511]Our bird cage is 15 years old. We had all the screening replaced a couple of years ago.

I don't know if you are looking for someone to fix the problem, but if you are, Jeff can fix what ever problems you are having at a very decent price. Call 352-702-6376
Old 01-07-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:

I recently had my bird cage in Fort Myers restored. It included painting, screens and all screws etc. It was very reasonable but pays to get a few quotes. They also use nylon screws now, no rust.. I was told it should be good for 10 to 15 years.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:16 AM

FYI…Google “galvanic corrosion”. Don’t think washers between the fastener head and the aluminum will completely eliminate the problem since the stainless threads will still be in contact with the aluminum structure.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

If the metal is brown, you can clean the whitened build up with acetone and coat it with silicon spray. Really does a good job. It will, however, take a little of the brown paint up. Do not know how to deal with it if it is white.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post

This will all but certainly increase the corrosion rate, dissimilar metals, (Especially Stainless and Aluminum) corrode rapidly and seize.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:

There is a company who will replace all the screws and put plastic caps on the new screw heads. They drill out the old screws and put larger screws in their place. If you have a bronze aluminum framing, try mineral oil on the finish - it brings back the original look and mineral oil is inexpensive. Power wash first! I replaced the screws two years ago, and my cage was 12 years old. Cost about $1400. Sounds like a lot of money but count the number of screws and then price TAP-On concrete screws. I thought it was worth it.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:09 AM

Sherwin Williams has a paint that will work.
Did my bottom rail 3 yrs ago.. still good.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:24 PM

I am wanting to move the outside door of the cage. Is there a company I can call?
Closed Thread

Tags
cage, bird, aging, years, calcium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.