Air Conditioner

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Default Air Conditioner

We closed on a small Patio Villa in Duval last spring and spent January-April 09 in the home. Of course we were asked everyday to sign up for something or other, lawn service, water treatment and a service contract from SunCool for our A/C system.
Since the A/C had a 5 year warranty on parts and a 1 year on labor I thought a service contract was not necessary.
However when a lady from the Villages Warranty Dept came over and went over our overall warranty and she recommended signing up for the SunCool deal( it was the only one she recommended to us) I did have some second thoughts but since we had already spent enough money we decided not to.
Recently my electricity bill went way up and my house sitter said the house inside temp was up to 86oF. Of course the A/C was broken; about 4 months after the 1 year warranty. I had to pay for a service call, a pressure test and now a new coil for the A/C which is leaking freon.Of course if I signed up now for the SunCool Service Contract ,$300 per year, all of that service work/testing etc would be discounted 20%. A little suspicious, particularly when another Patio Villa around the corner from me had the same A/C failure.

I appealed to the Warranty Dept who reminded me that they had recommended that I sign up originally for SunCool Contract and suggested that now I call the manufacturer of the A/C for some "relief.
I suspect that the Villages knows there is some manufacturing defect with the A/C units in Duval
Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Default Service

Maybe you should call air condition services in the area. Try to find out if they have notices any problems in duval. It seem they would not want to have service contracts for 10 years if the product is not working....also how old is the unit.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What is the brand name and size of your AC unit?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Broken air conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
We closed on a small Patio Villa in Duval last spring and spent January-April 09 in the home. Of course we were asked everyday to sign up for something or other, lawn service, water treatment and a service contract from SunCool for our A/C system.
Since the A/C had a 5 year warranty on parts and a 1 year on labor I thought a service contract was not necessary.
However when a lady from the Villages Warranty Dept came over and went over our overall warranty and she recommended signing up for the SunCool deal( it was the only one she recommended to us) I did have some second thoughts but since we had already spent enough money we decided not to.
Recently my electricity bill went way up and my house sitter said the house inside temp was up to 86oF. Of course the A/C was broken; about 4 months after the 1 year warranty. I had to pay for a service call, a pressure test and now a new coil for the A/C which is leaking freon.Of course if I signed up now for the SunCool Service Contract ,$300 per year, all of that service work/testing etc would be discounted 20%. A little suspicious, particularly when another Patio Villa around the corner from me had the same A/C failure.

I appealed to the Warranty Dept who reminded me that they had recommended that I sign up originally for SunCool Contract and suggested that now I call the manufacturer of the A/C for some "relief.
I suspect that the Villages knows there is some manufacturing defect with the A/C units in Duval
If is was a Trane unit, there is a possibility to get you money back or a portion. There is a recall on some Trane units that have leaking coils. They are repaired free. Approximately 7000 units were installed in TV. Call Trane
to find out if yours was supposed to be recalled. They can give you the numbers to look for.

I recommend ordering a home warranty. I have American Home Shield which
covers everything, including the garage door openers. I have had them for years. They have replaced 2 water heaters, 3 garbage disposals, and repaired our washer and dryer numerous times over the past 15 years in different homes. The cost is approximately $480.00 year. You pay for a service call $65.00, if they can't fix it they replace it with new. If it is an AC and does not meet the new requirements (SEER 13 or above) they will replace everything only cost is the service call.

Have a great day and be cool.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Default Air Conditioner Reply

It seems I have the same problem. Purchased courtyard villa (Hadley) spring of last year. Came down in September of 09 and air failed and was diagnosed as leaking evaporator coil. I suspect it leaked from day one. I have a heat pump. Sun Kool did the exact same thing to me. I joined the club because the cost was cheaper to repair. Just the diagnose was $429 which would have been more (the savings paid to join Sun Kool Club). They still want $358 to install the coil. I have talked to other repair companys that feel the cost of the diagnose is unrealistic. I would agree I should have taken the warranty due to the wild pricing in TV. I had this coil replaced at home not anywhere near the cost. I now have opted to price the coil installation which won't be much of a savings as I already got stuck for the $429 diagnose. The question I have if you contacted Trane on a recall. From my research so far is
Chuck Farrell's Air Conditioning & Heating is at 352-753-94. He seems to have good blogs about him and would have been much more reasonable for me to go.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We're contacting Trane for the numbers, but if anyone gets any info from them, please post it here.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I also would be very interested in which trane AC's have leaky coils and have a silent recall . You probably would need the model numbers and either a serial number or date of mfg. I could not find such a recall notice on the trane web site.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I also would be very interested in which trane AC's have leaky coils and have a silent recall . You probably would need the model numbers and either a serial number or date of mfg. I could not find such a recall notice on the trane web site.
You will have to call Trane direct. They can tell you which numbers and where to look for them. Munn's doesn't like to do the recall I hear because they don't get paid enough from Trane even tho they are the Trane dealer.
They wanted to charge my neighbor additional labor but he refused and they did the work anyway.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Call Trane direct? How?

so far, I've written their website, no reply yet (only been a couple of days).
To phone them, it says contact your local Trane dealer who is...--- Sun Kool

I'll wait awhile for Trane to reply, but then call SunKool, I suppose, unless someone has a better idea or more info. Please post anything you may find out and I'll do the same.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Gold member

Found this number for Trane homeowner complaint: (903) 581-3200
Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Default Bad A/C Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS G View Post
If is was a Trane unit, there is a possibility to get you money back or a portion. There is a recall on some Trane units that have leaking coils. They are repaired free. Approximately 7000 units were installed in TV. Call Trane
to find out if yours was supposed to be recalled. They can give you the numbers to look for.

I recommend ordering a home warranty. I have American Home Shield which
covers everything, including the garage door openers. I have had them for years. They have replaced 2 water heaters, 3 garbage disposals, and repaired our washer and dryer numerous times over the past 15 years in different homes. The cost is approximately $480.00 year. You pay for a service call $65.00, if they can't fix it they replace it with new. If it is an AC and does not meet the new requirements (SEER 13 or above) they will replace everything only cost is the service call.

Have a great day and be cool.
I am the guy with the Patio in Duval who started all of this conversation.My AC was broken after the warranty expired and testing showed no freon.; remember it was also low on Freon during the warranty period.After spending a lot of money for diagnostic testing SunKool said it was a leaky coil so I paid for the labor to install one, about $300. plus I joined the KoolClub. Several weeks later thay came back for a checkup and found no Freon so now they say it is a leak in the line in the house which they can repair for free; it is part of the original house warranty.
"Oh Truth, where are thee?"
Old 10-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Default Continuing AC Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobar View Post
It seems I have the same problem. Purchased courtyard villa (Hadley) spring of last year. Came down in September of 09 and air failed and was diagnosed as leaking evaporator coil. I suspect it leaked from day one. I have a heat pump. Sun Kool did the exact same thing to me. I joined the club because the cost was cheaper to repair. Just the diagnose was $429 which would have been more (the savings paid to join Sun Kool Club). They still want $358 to install the coil. I have talked to other repair companys that feel the cost of the diagnose is unrealistic. I would agree I should have taken the warranty due to the wild pricing in TV. I had this coil replaced at home not anywhere near the cost. I now have opted to price the coil installation which won't be much of a savings as I already got stuck for the $429 diagnose. The question I have if you contacted Trane on a recall. From my research so far is
Chuck Farrell's Air Conditioning & Heating is at 352-753-94. He seems to have good blogs about him and would have been much more reasonable for me to go.
I am the guy,JohnT, with the Patio in Duval who started all of this conversation.My AC was broken after the warranty expired and testing showed no freon.; remember it was also low on Freon during the warranty period.After spending a lot of money for diagnostic testing SunKool said it was a leaky coil so I paid for the labor to install one, about $300. plus I joined the KoolClub. Several weeks later thay came back for a checkup and found no Freon so now they say it is a leak in the line in the house which they can repair for free; it is part of the original house warranty.
"Oh Truth, where are thee?"
Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Default Air Conditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobar View Post
I got zero support from The Villages Warranty Dept with my complant about SunKool.
Basically it is out of warranty so its my issue with SunKool
Old 10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I got zero support from The Villages Warranty Dept with my complant about SunKool.
Basically it is out of warranty so its my issue with SunKool

I just heard from my neighbor in Duval; same exact story
Freon leak, out of warranty
Pay for test
It's the coil; pay for labor to replace.Join the KoolClub and save 20%
Replace coil
Come back for check up.
The freon is gone; this time the leak is in the house lines
Lines have water in them; whole unit is now broken and must be replaced No charge ( we will see)
call Villages warranty Dept; zero interest in our problem
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 PM

Also....read the thread titled "Trane heat pump failures" on TOTV. Many have had this same problem...failed evaporator coils within the warrantee period. No cost for the part but big labor cost to install it. Maybe we should all report this to

http://www.floridaclassaction.com/te...conditions.cfm.

Include the link in TOTV so that floridaclassaction.com can see this is a common problem here.

Make Trane help pay for the labor cost. Trane chose to use an inferior part and hoped it would last past the five year warrantee period. Many units aren't doing that so we are paying for their poor quality.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.