hot-water heat pumps

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default hot-water heat pumps

Has anyone ever heard of these things. Mounts right on the hot water heater. Sounds smart as up north most hot water heaters are in the same space as the furnace which gives off alot of heat and down in the villages they are in the garage also very warm in the summer and heat pumps don't require much heat around them to work so should work in winter as well.

Saw it described and shown in picture #8 on the latest this old house post.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...9877-8,00.html
Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 PM

see "Passive Hot Water Heat" under the DIY section

I am not sure how to post a link - can anyone help? Thanks
Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
see "Passive Hot Water Heat" under the DIY section

I am not sure how to post a link - can anyone help? Thanks
Here's the link you're referring to, I believe:

"Passive" Hot water heat

It looks like it's a bit of a different route to go versus the hot water heat pump. But a good idea nonetheless!

(cyber - To post a link: I opened another window in my browser, opened TOTV, did a 'Search' for 'passive hot water heat', then clicked on the thread to open it up. Highlighted the entire URL (the whole http://talkofthevillages...... thing), then copied and pasted it into this post. I clipped off/deleted the ancillary stuff at the end of the link that referred only to what I was searching for <everything after the 't=31253'> - not necessary to do that, though. Hope that helps!)

Bill
Old 03-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Smile

[QUOTE=cybermuda;338549]see "Passive Hot Water Heat" under the DIY section

That also sounds neet but this was a manufactured unit that us not so handy folks could have installed right on a hot water heater to augment or replace most of the cost of the gas or electric heating of the water by a professional. It is suppose to be a scaled down version of a heat pump like you use to heat a house. I had solar hot water when I lived in California and loved it but this old house article said this cost something like $450 which is a far cry from the cost of solar.

I have to stop reading the articles that this old house emails me links to as I already have more projects than I can finish,
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 AM

if you need a new water heater then there are combined units available, but I don't know of any add-on units

http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pum...r-features.htm
Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Gold member
Default Didn't know there were combined units

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
if you need a new water heater then there are combined units available, but I don't know of any add-on units

http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pum...r-features.htm
I didn't know there were combined units thanks for the info.
I just saw the add on one in a copy of This OLD House link listed in original post it said it was $450 plus installation.
I did a quick search and the combo unit costs $1600 (more than a tankless but still maybe less than solar) and at 10 cents a killowat saves about $300 to $400 a year. The GE combo had really cool programable options including 90 day vacation feature.

I am a gaget nut can you tell.

Last edited by TrudyM; 03-17-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add info
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.