Alien Life Forms Expected in next 20 Years

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I read this somewhere and may not recall the exact math, but it went something like this.

If we look at just the Milky Way Galaxy, and assume one in every 100,000 stars has a planet revolving around it, and of those, one of every 100,000 planets has the ability to sustain life, and one of the 100,000 that could actually does have life, there are 100,000 planets that have life just in our Galaxy. And there are now what, 10 known Galaxies? Maybe more by now.

Just the math alone makes it impossible not to believe there is life besides us out there. And some of that life has to be more advanced than we are.
I believe that's from Cosmos (the book) by Carl Sagan.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Not that it will help much, but at the time of the Big Bang there was no space, just a point of infinite density.

As space itself expanded (incidentally, the one thing that can travel faster than the speed of light) the "particles" did go in all directions and, as they slowed down and cooled down, gravity worked to clump them together.
That sounds more like something that should be in the book of Genesis in The Bible rather than a scientific theory. If space is infinite I still do not see these "particles" ever meeting. "A point of infinite density" somehow implies that something has existed for all the up time up to then.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/dic...ng-theory7.htm
Old 07-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Two things. First, Sagan's conclusions are completely reasonable if you are completely convinced that life requires no designer... if it's a function of pure chance then the numbers make it implausible that life would only exist here. If you look at the complexity of the simplest single cell organism, just the physical structure, I'd say its near impossible to imagine that coming together by chance, but when you realize the 'programming' that it takes for that system to function, well, IMO to believe that came about by chance requires an enormous leap of faith. Not trying to start a debate, but also not willing to sit by silently as though we all agree with Sagan.

Second, there is no such thing as a physical infinity. Consider that space is the void between physical objects, but for there to be an infinite amount of space then everything that "is" would have to be space, because if not there could be more space than there is, but since infinity plus one is irrational this is not possible. Glad I could clear that up for ya (lol).
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Sage

Try reading A Short History of Nearly Everything. Bill Bryce. Great book AND you will actually understand the Big Bang Theory....among all those other phenomena.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
Try reading A Short History of Nearly Everything. Bill Bryce. Great book AND you will actually understand the Big Bang Theory....among all those other phenomena.
A short history of nearly everything - Bryson

I have that book somewhere or other.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Sage

Thank you for the correction on his name ....
Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
I'm a believer. To think that we are the only ones here is, if not arrogant, completely illogical.
I'm also a believer. Beam me up!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Sage
Default NOT TOO HOT and NOT TOO COLD

Scientists find Earth-sized world in life-friendly orbit

Not too hot and not too cold; an Earth-sized world that is a "cousin" to our planet, rather than a "twin".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.