Amazon Delivery

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2020, 11:02 AM

Amazon is great.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:22 PM

Amazon give mom and pop products a way to enter a larger market, also they have been a life line for the postal service. I know one of our politicians was complaining about the US postal giving them lower rates, USPS has always given bulk customers a better rate.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:00 PM

My current Amazon Prime order from Tuesday, February 25. Following is the tracking information. Glad it wasn't something I urgently needed. Is this funny or sad?

Wednesday, February 26
• Package has shipped
• 11:30 pm – Package arrived at an Amazon Facility, Davenport, FL
Thursday, February 27
• 10:27 am - Package arrived at a carrier facility, Lady Lake, FL
• 11:07 am – Package arrived at a carrier facility, Wimauma, FL (note: in 30 minutes it traveled 109 miles. Whaaaat?)
• 11:07 am – Possible delay in delivery due to arrival at incorrect carrier facility, Wimauma, FL
• 11:42 am – Package arrived at a carrier facility, Wimauma, FL (wasn’t it already there?)
• 11:48 pm – Package departed an Amazon facility, Davenport, FL (seems it was already there 24 hours prior)
Friday, February 28
• 1:12 am – Package transferred to a local postal carrier for final delivery, Lady Lake, FL
• 1:16 am – Package arrived at a carrier facility, Lady Lake, FL (gee. . . maybe it will be delivered today)
• 5:32 pm – Package arrived at a carrier facility, Jacksonville, FL Network Distribution Center

Maybe tomorrow??
Old 02-28-2020, 10:45 PM

I agree. Amazon is AWESOME. I ordered a game today for my grandchildren, who are with me for a couple days, and will have it tomorrow. GO AMAZON.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:20 AM
Default PRIME not always delivered on time!

We are prime members and I ordered an item that was supposed to be delivered on Sunday. By Sunday evening, I checked Amazon online, and it said that my package was delivered at 7:23 PM on front porch by door, so I searched my porch, by the garage door, and NO PACKAGE!! Contacted Amazon by online chat, and was told that they actually had until Monday to deliver my package. I asked why it showed it had been delivered when it wasn't, and she didn't have any response. Checked mailbox first thing Monday morning, and no package, but it was there in the afternoon with my regular mail. Thought Amazon should know that prime packages are not always being delivered on time even though it showed that it was delivered online!
Old 02-29-2020, 06:49 AM

People here (and elsewhere) that have a problem with so-called "price gouging" are trying to have it both ways, in my opinion. Price gouging occurs in a supply and demand situation. Let's look locally - if there's a hurricane on the way that's likely to disrupt the supply chain (among other things), do you want some schmoe going into the local establishment and buying up 30 cases of bottled water at the normal price? How does that help others who have every bit of a fresh water need than this guy who's massively depleting the inventory? Now, adjust that price so that 30 cases is going to be cost-prohibitive, and you've got an effective way of limiting mass purchases. That also leaves supplies for others who need them.

Now, some might say "how about just putting up a sign that limits the amount that can be bought and keep the price the same!!!???" That sign's not going to prevent someone or their family, etc., from coming in repeatedly. That sign's just going to spur arguments with customers pleading why they "need" 30 cases, etc. The price increase avoids that.

Consumers are hoarders in situations like this. And hoarders create problems for everyone else who has a need for a product. They, themselves, create scarcity.

Higher prices do two things: they limit over-purchasing by consumers, and they encourage sellers, themselves, to try and increase their supply of such products given the ability to charge more for them. That's the free-market economy at work.

One article I read said it bluntly - but correctly: If the price of bottled water goes up to $10 a bottle, are you better of with a $10 bottle of water, or are you better of with $10 in your pocket and no water, going thirsty?

Make no mistake about it - I don't like paying higher prices in situations that create supply problems. But if it means I have access to what I need at that higher price, I'll take it.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
People here (and elsewhere) that have a problem with so-called "price gouging" are trying to have it both ways, in my opinion. Price gouging occurs in a supply and demand situation. Let's look locally - if there's a hurricane on the way that's likely to disrupt the supply chain (among other things), do you want some schmoe going into the local establishment and buying up 30 cases of bottled water at the normal price? How does that help others who have every bit of a fresh water need than this guy who's massively depleting the inventory? Now, adjust that price so that 30 cases is going to be cost-prohibitive, and you've got an effective way of limiting mass purchases. That also leaves supplies for others who need them.

Now, some might say "how about just putting up a sign that limits the amount that can be bought and keep the price the same!!!???" That sign's not going to prevent someone or their family, etc., from coming in repeatedly. That sign's just going to spur arguments with customers pleading why they "need" 30 cases, etc. The price increase avoids that.

Consumers are hoarders in situations like this. And hoarders create problems for everyone else who has a need for a product. They, themselves, create scarcity.

Higher prices do two things: they limit over-purchasing by consumers, and they encourage sellers, themselves, to try and increase their supply of such products given the ability to charge more for them. That's the free-market economy at work.

One article I read said it bluntly - but correctly: If the price of bottled water goes up to $10 a bottle, are you better of with a $10 bottle of water, or are you better of with $10 in your pocket and no water, going thirsty?

Make no mistake about it - I don't like paying higher prices in situations that create supply problems. But if it means I have access to what I need at that higher price, I'll take it.
It isn't "so-called price gouging"...it IS price gouging.

The huge hole in your argument, is the fact that you're basically saying that price-gouging during emergencies is OK because it will discourage everyone from making large purchases...which is completely false.

This warped logic totally fails to understand that I (and MANY other) folks CAN afford to pay the higher prices and it is the average person (who also need water/gas/food)...who will suffer the most.

Why not do the simple and smart thing of not gouging on price because of the situation...and simply limit the quantities able to be purchased?

And yes, there may be cases where some try the "split the family and buy more" system, but there are ways to watch out for that scheme and try to limit it (observers in parking lots, watching for one vehicle being loaded with more than the maximum quantities...for one) and even if it occasionally occurs, it's still preferable to the alternative of..."the more wealthy should be given preference."

It is exactly this type of thinking, that necessitates why laws were/are needed, so as to avoid those who can afford the price-gouging...from hogging all of the resources.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:40 AM

Agree. Amazon is a life-changing industry. Just stop the tax breaks.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:44 AM

Amazon is hardly a Monopoly....you always have a choice to get the same or similar product elsewhere....but, their service is excellent with the photo proof of delivery....just watch out for porch pirates (not a problem in TV)....
Old 02-29-2020, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
Great company providing great service. Can not wait for the Amazon Internet to put some other over priced companies out of business.
WOW ! First Class assignments to those bases. You had to have had connections.

Unbelievable.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl boomer View Post
We are prime members and I ordered an item that was supposed to be delivered on Sunday. By Sunday evening, I checked Amazon online, and it said that my package was delivered at 7:23 PM on front porch by door, so I searched my porch, by the garage door, and NO PACKAGE!! Contacted Amazon by online chat, and was told that they actually had until Monday to deliver my package. I asked why it showed it had been delivered when it wasn't, and she didn't have any response. Checked mailbox first thing Monday morning, and no package, but it was there in the afternoon with my regular mail. Thought Amazon should know that prime packages are not always being delivered on time even though it showed that it was delivered online!
Once Amazon hands it over to postal carrier, you are at the mercy of what happened to my package in TV. We had an item that was delivered to our mail box, but was not there for 3 business days. Contacted amazon, resent to our front door next day. 10 days later first package shows up in our mailbox. No has an explanation
Old 03-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Gold member

I only buy from Amazon when I can't find what I want anywhere else. I will not spend hours searching either. Recently, Aldi stopped handling my breakfast cereal and flax seed. I now get them from Amazon. Oh, Walmart doesn't handle them either.

Still waiting for that drone to deliver my order.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

It seems like in The Villages bottled water gets more plentiful and cheaper when a hurricane is coming. Last year, Lowes had hundreds of cases for 5 dollars each. No price gouging.
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, high, delivery, street, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.