Annual airconditioner/heat check up

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Annual airconditioner/heat check up

I have had an annual check up done every year for the 11 past eleven years.

Does anybody else do it religiously?

It runs around $140 with a new filter each time.

Also would like to hear from those who have never had it done.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I have had the annual inspection done yearly. It was a requirement when I bought the house to maintain the original 5 year warranty. It again was a requirement when I renewed the warranty for years 5 thru 10.

At this stage of my life and living in Florida, I want to minimize my discomforts. Although, I still have had problems (Two and one half day outage this year), I emphasize minimize.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

I've been here 3 1/2 years in a new build. I have my a/c checked yearly. In addition, I flush out the pipe with warm water monthly, as instructed, and change my filter quarterly, due to all the dust from ongoing construction on the south of 466A. The last thing I want is down time on my a/c unit.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

It runs around $140 with a new filter each time.

Also would like to hear from those who have never had it done.
I hope you change your air filter more often then once a year. In AC school they said change the air filter every month but that was before we had Hepa filters at $20 each. It’s a good idea to clean out your condensing unit (the thing outside) every year and flush out the condensate line from you’re a-coil (The thing in the house) at that time. During the cooling season pour 1/4 cup of biocide or white vinegar threw your condensate drain line to kill any slime growing in the line. Do this every few months. If that drain line plugs up you will have a wet mess followed by black mold and a big cleanup bill. If you commit your self to this you can save some money but if you forget and let it go then you will find that $140 a year is cheaper.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We have ours serviced twice a year. So far (new house in 2011) we have had to have two major repairs. Both cost us nothing, except yearly the cost of the maintenance fee.

I would not want to lose our a/c.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Annual cleaning and check-up every spring, $55. I change the filters myself (Filtrete 1900 @ $13 each now), every 3 months.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Gold member

Every yr for 15 yrs we have it serviced. We do 1 cup white vinegar every month & change filters regularly. I believe we pay $65 for annual service. Still going strong with same unit knock on wood
Old 07-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Yep
Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We do it every year. Wash off permanent filter every month. Need my AC or I am out of here!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-28-2015, 12:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
I hope you change your air filter more often then once a year. In AC school they said change the air filter every month but that was before we had Hepa filters at $20 each. It’s a good idea to clean out your condensing unit (the thing outside) every year and flush out the condensate line from you’re a-coil (The thing in the house) at that time. During the cooling season pour 1/4 cup of biocide or white vinegar threw your condensate drain line to kill any slime growing in the line. Do this every few months. If that drain line plugs up you will have a wet mess followed by black mold and a big cleanup bill. If you commit your self to this you can save some money but if you forget and let it go then you will find that $140 a year is cheaper.
One of my neighbors just had his drain line plug. The water got under his laminate flooring and destroyed the whole floor. It didn't run on the top of the floor, just went underneath. He is replacing about 1,000 sq ft of laminate.
Closed Thread

Tags
annual, check, filter, $140, time, hear, year, airconditioner/heat, past, religiously, eleven, years, runs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.