Another Mass Shooting

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2019, 11:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Oh please. I've been playing violent video and RPG games since Zork when I killed my first grue, and I haven't ever given a moment's thought to owning, let alone using, a firearm.

Millions of people play video games and RPGs and don't go out and kill people. There are also people who kill other people, who don't play violent video games. And you forgot the whole "oh they listen to death metal" rhetoric.

That's stuff and nonsense, propaganda created by the NRA to put the blame on anything except where it belongs: on lack of enforcement of existing gun laws, and gun laws that are not universal, thus allowing anyone to get a gun simply by crossing state lines.
Still doesn't explain why people are doing this. Gun laws or no gun laws. People are committing mass murder which is much more serious than violating a gun law. The law of not murdering people is pretty basic and fundamental.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:04 AM

I picked up a snippet while I was changing radio stations in the car today.
The person who was being interviewed (?) was saying that very often the person who commits this type of killing is suicidal.
They go into their old workplace and start shooting up anyone in their path.
They are angry and just don't care.

It's sad -- very, very sad.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:11 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Violent video games and media certainly play a big part, that and the ease of getting a gun. "So easy a caveman could do it"
This is so true. Video games are mostly killing, whether guns, knives, cannons, etc. Just killing something sells. TV is soooo full of violence, then the actors protest guns, hypocrites.

So sad
Old 06-01-2019, 06:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
thus allowing anyone to get a gun simply by crossing state lines.
Simply not true. And not as easy as you make it sound.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 06-01-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I know many gun owners. Their weapons are locked up or in hiding and only come out when they go to the range, for cleaning or on the very rare occasion when they're needed for protection of themselves or someone else. As for the mass shootings school, workplace or other events I'd suspect these people have some sort of mental issue or have been abused either physically or mentally and figure this is the best way to handle or deal with the problem. Not right by any means but certainly in their mind it is. Made fun of at school, stepped on or over on a job, or ridiculed by friends. I'll show them attitude. Agree it's sad what's happening but it's the person behind the weapon be it a car, gun, bomb,fire or whatever.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Oh please. I've been playing violent video and RPG games since Zork when I killed my first grue, and I haven't ever given a moment's thought to owning, let alone using, a firearm.

Millions of people play video games and RPGs and don't go out and kill people. There are also people who kill other people, who don't play violent video games. And you forgot the whole "oh they listen to death metal" rhetoric.

That's stuff and nonsense, propaganda created by the NRA to put the blame on anything except where it belongs: on lack of enforcement of existing gun laws, and gun laws that are not universal, thus allowing anyone to get a gun simply by crossing state lines.
Certainly think we need tougher guns and much more intelligent handling of restrictions on who can get a gun with a very heavy emphasis on context. The FACTS of each case should be the guide and not some bureaucratic check-list. People are too quick to seek simplistic answers that make good bumper stickers.

Will be interesting to see the details of the shooter in this case. Each seems to be different from the next.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The daily training of society to accept/embrace/approve violence is proven day in and day out.
Just look at the movie line up on Netflix or Amazon and others.....mostly violence based "entertainment" and more often than not utilizing guns in one form or another.

There is no control anymore who is allowed to watch what or not. Young children are growing up conditioned to seeing murder and mayhem in their games and movies. Beheading, disemboweling, rampaging killing are all in front of our society every single day.

Human behavior has been changed by these events. Tolerances for murder and mayhem are acceptable "entertainment". There is nothing left to the imagination anymore.

If it bleeds it leads is more true today than ever before. To say it has no effect on the attitudes, outlook and behavior of our society is missing the major contributor to what is now acceptable in our lives.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The daily training of society to accept/embrace/approve violence is proven day in and day out.
Just look at the movie line up on Netflix or Amazon and others.....mostly violence based "entertainment" and more often than not utilizing guns in one form or another.

There is no control anymore who is allowed to watch what or not. Young children are growing up conditioned to seeing murder and mayhem in their games and movies. Beheading, disemboweling, rampaging killing are all in front of our society every single day.

Human behavior has been changed by these events. Tolerances for murder and mayhem are acceptable "entertainment". There is nothing left to the imagination anymore.

If it bleeds it leads is more true today than ever before. To say it has no effect on the attitudes, outlook and behavior of our society is missing the major contributor to what is now acceptable in our lives.
The Bible and Homer's The Iliad are some of the most violent books I have ever read as are some of the movies based on these.

There would be a great deal more violence in our society though if there was much cause-and-effect between watching very gory movies and taking a gun or some other weapon and murdering people.

Saving Private Ryan are other such very realistic movies might actually work against contemplating such behavior. These do get you to care about the characters in the dramas.

Game of Thrones is very violent but you became very drawn into the heroes, villains, and how they interacted.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,797 Times in 734 Posts

////////

Last edited by Aces4; 06-01-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Quoted post was removed, thankfully
Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

So many people lives effected.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:45 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
People are too quick to seek simplistic answers that make good bumper stickers.

Amen to that Tal, best response ever. There are always many sides to each issue and many facts to support each side.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post

Amen to that Tal, best response ever. There are always many sides to each issue and many facts to support each side.
I am quite familiar with violence and it affects. A police officer came to talk to us Earl Wooster High School students to "help" us deal with the 2-24-1976 murder of Michelle Mitchell near the University of Nevada, Reno campus but instead of empathizing with us he started talking about a 1963 extremely gory killing by a Earl Wooster HS student, Thomas Lee Bean, at that time of a female Olympic skier. Context is extremely important as is trying to get know the people involved in these kind of tragedies.

I came across a former cell mate of Bean -- the 1963 murderer-- who actually said that this is a very nice guy now. Or he was when he was this guy's cellmate. I visit with a lot of people via Facebook who live or lived in Reno, Nevada.

What this guy did to the skier, Sonja McCaskie, is still horrific even by 2019 standards. Bean looks evil to me and not so much mentally ill.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-01-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

The latest I read was that the shooter, DeWayne Craddock, had been disciplined for some reason and apparently came back for revenge. He still had his pass card to gain entry into nonpublic areas of the building. His residential neighbors did not really know him as he kept to himself. They said he always carried a book bag...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-01-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Not that it really matters but the weapon used was a .45 handgun..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

It is so hard to hear about another mass killing. I don’t blame the guns alone, the man could have used any other method, but the gun he brought certainly helped.

Then there are the victims, completely unanticipated, life suddenly over. Who will look after their families now?
Closed Thread

Tags
police, shooting, beach, virginia, dead

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.