Another mass shooting

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

Background checks are NOT required by federal law for private sales, and Texas has no restrictions requiring them either. ANYONE can get a gun in Texas, legally, without a background check. You're not required to go through a licensed dealer to get a gun. At least, not in Texas, where the El Paso shooting happened.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Texas has an open carry policy. It does not require background checks for firearm purchases. You can buy a semi-automatic weapon in any gun shop in Texas, and Walmart sells guns in El Paso. Lots of guns all over the place in Texas, including El Paso. No license necessary, it is not required in Texas. You only need a conceal license for handguns, but no license at all for open carry. Not a single person attempted to stop the shooter.
I don't know where you get your information but federal law requires all purchasers to undergo a background check before they can purchase a firearm. You cannot walk into a gun shop and buy without passing the check. That is the law in every state and territory. As far as not a single person attempted to stop the shooter, maybe there wasn't anyone there with a gun to stop him. An individual with a carry permit does not have police power and most law enforcement people and firearms training instructors will tell you not to intercede in a situation such as this one. Remember in the news not too long ago there was a shooting in a mall I believe. A young black man, former Army or Marine, with a license to carry a firearm saw the shooter, pulled his gun and started to stalk the shooter. A responding police officer saw him and thinking he was the active shooter he was sent to investigate, shot the young man dead.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:06 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Background checks are NOT required by federal law for private sales, and Texas has no restrictions requiring them either. ANYONE can get a gun in Texas, legally, without a background check. You're not required to go through a licensed dealer to get a gun. At least, not in Texas, where the El Paso shooting happened.
You are NOT buying a gun "off the rack" in Texas if you are from out of state without a check.

Background Checks in Texas | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
"Federal law does not require dealers to conduct a background check if a firearm purchaser presents a state permit to purchase or possess firearms that meets certain conditions."

Texas Gun Laws - Our Texas Gun Laws made Simple!
"Q: What is required to purchase a firearm in the state of Texas?
A: You will need a valid state-issued ID. Many FFLs will not sell to out-of-state residents. This is due to the FFL’s requirement to uphold your resident state’s gun laws, and the inherient complexity associated with many states."

Texas Concealed Carry Gun Laws | USCCA CCW Reciprocity Map (Last Updated 06/25/2019)

Background Check Procedures: State by State | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 08-03-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Yes, it IS too easy for just about anyone to obtain a weapon whether it be by legal or nonlegal methods.

I am not going into gun control, but it would seem that there needs to be some form of it -- a check and balance of some type if you will, or this kind of horror will continue.

And even with some form of control, it would probably be a long time before many of the illegal forms of ownership can be controlled and/or taken off the street.
While I have my own personal thoughts, it's obviously the time is past due for something to be done.

I am not going into the politics of the subject, but there is far too much talk and not enough action (as in none!)!
How do you stop non-legal means of obtaining a gun? Has making the possession and sale of drugs illegal stopped the drug trade? Please use some common sense instead of emotion. There are checks required to purchase a firearm. All licensed gun dealers are required to perform a background check on all buyers and the buyer must pass the check.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I agree....we talk about nothing like this in this country. You mention anti fascists in your post......not sure how to reply to that.....are youy PRO fascists ? The FBI just recently warned us all about QAnon, yet they are accepted.

I have a distaste for violence totally and in any form, under any and all names. I have seen what hate and violence can do in the name of what the accolytes proclaim it to be. It is still VIOLENCE, and it ALWAYS perpetuates more violence.
No I'm not pro fascist, I was referencing to them as a group that is extremely violent. They claim that their violence is justified because they are freedom fighters.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Now, where the h&%% did you hear that???
A long term TV resident I've know for close to 30 years. He stated that there were two incidents where family members of two TV residents were selling drugs from their home. It wasn't like the drug houses in the bad parts of large cities but they were dealing drugs from there. He stated that it was problem children/grandchildren of the TV residents. Why is it so hard to believe that it happened? Not everyone here is a law abiding citizen, this is a town with good and bad people just like those outside of this bubble. Maybe publication of this was muted so as not to besmirch the reputation of the friendliest town in America.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Now, where the h&%% did you hear that???
Drug raid in The Villages retirement community nets evidence of golf cart 'chop shop'

Steve
Old 08-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Just go to an adjoining state and buy it there...………...
You cannot purchase a handgun in a neighboring state and walk out with it. You can purchase it and have it shipped to a federally licensed gun dealer in your home state where you will have to undergo and pass a background check before you may take possession of the gun, no exceptions.
A long gun, rifle or shotgun, can be purchased from a neighboring state and you may take possession of it then and there. However, if your home state prohibits possession of that gun the neighbor state dealer cannot sell the gun to you. What ever restrictions your home state places on you or the firearm, the neighboring state dealer cannot sell the gun to you if it violates those restrictions.

An out of state private individual cannot legally sell you a hand gun unless he ships it to a licensed dealer in your state. The same restrictions a dealer must comply with on long guns applies to the private out of state seller also.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
You cannot purchase a handgun in a neighboring state and walk out with it. You can purchase it and have it shipped to a federally licensed gun dealer in your home state where you will have to undergo and pass a background check before you may take possession of the gun, no exceptions.
A long gun, rifle or shotgun, can be purchased from a neighboring state and you may take possession of it then and there. However, if your home state prohibits possession of that gun the neighbor state dealer cannot sell the gun to you. What ever restrictions your home state places on you or the firearm, the neighboring state dealer cannot sell the gun to you if it violates those restrictions.

An out of state private individual cannot legally sell you a hand gun unless he ships it to a licensed dealer in your state. The same restrictions a dealer must comply with on long guns applies to the private out of state seller also.
Hope this educates a few. Thanks
Steve
Old 08-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
No, it's not the gun. It is the ease of acquiring one by simply driving over the state line, buying one legally there, and bringing it back home.

ANYONE with a fake ID can get a gun at a gun show. No background check required, no proof that you know how to use it, no license necessary.

Firearms are too easy for ANYONE to get. The government needs to provide more accountability to both the buyer and the seller.

Regarding killing people with a car or a truck filled with fertilizer and fuel (to whoever posted that) none of those three things are made exclusively for the purpose of killing anyone (or anything). Fertilizer's function is to help things GROW. Deisel is a fuel that is designed to - fuel things. Cars are designed to get people from point A to point B. Guns are designed to shoot things and people. Semi-automatic rifles are designed to shoot -and- kill lots of people in a short period of time.

That is the reason why guns exist in the first place.

A license to drive a car is what you get after proving you know how to drive the car. A license to own a firearm is what you get after proving you - want to own a firearm.

There needs to be more control, more accountability, more checks and balances. Right now it's just too easy for any crackpot to walk into a gun show, buy a gun, leave, and shoot up a store.
The point I was making is that you don't need a firearm to kill people. Many objects that weren't designed to use as a weapon have been utilized as a weapon and killed a lot of people. When someone can't get a firearm they will find something else to use to do the crime. Again, WE HAVE A VIOLENCE PROBLEM, eliminating one tool used to commit violence will not stop the violence, another tool will be used. What is so hard to understand about that?
Old 08-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

I'm not suggesting that we "eliminate" a tool to commit violence. I'm saying provide better checks and balances, and accountability for both the buyer and the seller, and make it a NATIONAL regulation, not a state-wide regulation. There is nothing preventing someone from going to any state that allows them to legally buy a gun, and legally buying one. And then, once that person has possession of that gun, bringing it back to their state, where state regulations prohibit them from buying it (because licensing, conceal carry, mental illness checks not done, no testing, whatever. WHATEVER REASON.)

If it is illegal for them to get it in the next state also, then it will be more difficult for them to get a gun. They'll still be able to get one. But it'll be harder to do. AND - just the fact that they got one at all, in ANY state, would mean they violated the law.

In some states, the regulations and restrictions are stricter than in other states. There is no consistency. That is WHY Chicago has the problems it has. Chicago is an example of a city that will always have problems. But it is AS BAD as it is, because of the ease of LEGALLY acquiring a firearm across state lines.

The regulations - whatever they are, however strict or loose, need to be nationwide.

And again - "other tools" don't exist for the express purpose of killing. The primary function of a gun is to kill. That is its #1 primary function. It has limited use in anything else other than target practice, which is what you do when you're trying to be good at killing.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Clarification for poster below:
Old 08-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
1. I never said to ban guns or even hinted at that. That is a gut reaction to make that accusation from some corners.

2. I was not speaking of murders thus I understand the murder rate. I do not understand the ease in which folks get guns, but I get the impression that simply makes me stupid, so be it.

My main thrust Is that in a few days this conversation will cease. It will not even be spoken of. I simply would feel better if our leaders at least discussed it. We Are quick to jump quickly and rudely on mundane and personal things but seem unequipped to discuss this.

As i said, I have no gun......I know guns.....from Nam, but have no desire to own one.

i just know we are not only killing our young people, we are traumatizing those who "survive"

Your key point...."we need to take a look at..." WHEN IS MY QUESTION ?
I don’t know why you felt guilty when I made this statement, it was Midnight Cowgirl who suggested banning some guns may be the answer. To be honest, I didn’t read your post and really didn’t pay attention to your position. Carry on!
Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that we "eliminate" a tool to commit violence. I'm saying provide better checks and balances, and accountability for both the buyer and the seller, and make it a NATIONAL regulation, not a state-wide regulation. There is nothing preventing someone from going to any state that allows them to legally buy a gun, and legally buying one. And then, once that person has possession of that gun, bringing it back to their state, where state regulations prohibit them from buying it (because licensing, conceal carry, mental illness checks not done, no testing, whatever. WHATEVER REASON.)

If it is illegal for them to get it in the next state also, then it will be more difficult for them to get a gun. They'll still be able to get one. But it'll be harder to do. AND - just the fact that they got one at all, in ANY state, would mean they violated the law.

In some states, the regulations and restrictions are stricter than in other states. There is no consistency. That is WHY Chicago has the problems it has. Chicago is an example of a city that will always have problems. But it is AS BAD as it is, because of the ease of LEGALLY acquiring a firearm across state lines.

The regulations - whatever they are, however strict or loose, need to be nationwide.

And again - "other tools" don't exist for the express purpose of killing. The primary function of a gun is to kill. That is its #1 primary function. It has limited use in anything else other than target practice, which is what you do when you're trying to be good at killing.
We need more lawyers suing gun manufacturers like with the tobacco companies. Them winning is a harder matter.

There are many guns that should simply be taken off the market and bought back if possible. Guns designed for the use of soldiers and really not so much for anything else.

More education about mental illness and a concentrated effort to get people to deal with it within their own families and in their communities. Same with virtual (online) and real life (person-to-person) bullying.

A lot can be done. Education and empathy for survivors/victim are key.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Do you know what one of the officials at the scene in Texas just said? Many bodies have not even been recovered from the Crime Scene. Stop trying to figure this out and wait until we clear the Walmart before trying this case in the press and coming to conclusions. I apologize, this would be one of the times where the name of the person would be helpful but I missed it.

Some of the people trying to score points off this tragedy is disgusting. Those name I know but can't say them.
Closed Thread

Tags
shooting, mass, injured, fatalities, mall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.