Another shooting tragedy

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Sage
Default Another shooting tragedy

I read in the Daily Sun today about the shooting of a 7 year old boy in Tampa.

He was at home with his grandmother (age 63) and the boy got up at 1:30 a.m. And his grandmother heard the noise, took her .22 pistol, fired once in the dark toward the sound, hit her target, and the 7 year old is in critical condition.

Every time I read of a family member being accidentally shot makes me wonder why some people insist on owning guns. Home defense is the usual reason given but then a family tragedy happens too often. Yes, even once is too often.

Will it do the state of Florida any good to put the grandmother in prison? No, she will be punished everyday just remembering what she did to this child.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:02 PM

Guns do not kill people, people kill people. Even a 63 year old Grandmother.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 PM

As she should!! He was not shot by a gun. He was shot by a stupid careless person. She should be punished! So if she did not have a gun, likely she would have hit him with a bat of some other thing. There is a simple rule for anyone who strikes out, regardless of the tool used: KNOW YOUR TARGET or DO NOT ATTACK. Poor kid. He is the only victim here.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microcodeboy View Post
As she should!! He was not shot by a gun. He was shot by a stupid careless person. She should be punished! So if she did not have a gun, likely she would have hit him with a bat of some other thing. There is a simple rule for anyone who strikes out, regardless of the tool used: KNOW YOUR TARGET or DO NOT ATTACK. Poor kid. He is the only victim here.
I disagree, the other victim in these incidents are the other 99% that do home defense correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
I read in the Daily Sun today about the shooting of a 7 year old boy in Tampa.

He was at home with his grandmother (age 63) and the boy got up at 1:30 a.m. And his grandmother heard the noise, took her .22 pistol, fired once in the dark toward the sound, hit her target, and the 7 year old is in critical condition.

Every time I read of a family member being accidentally shot makes me wonder why some people insist on owning guns. Home defense is the usual reason given but then a family tragedy happens too often. Yes, even once is too often.

Will it do the state of Florida any good to put the grandmother in prison? No, she will be punished everyday just remembering what she did to this child.
This account of the story could also have read like this:

"He was at home with his grandmother (age 63) and the boy got up at 1:30 a.m. And his grandmother heard the noise, took her baseball bat, swung it with all her might once in the dark toward the sound, hit her target, and the 7 year old is in critical condition.

Every time I read of a family member being accidentally hit over the head with a baseball bat makes me wonder why some people insist on owning baseball bats. Home defense is the usual reason given but then a family tragedy happens too often. Yes, even once is too often.

Will it do the state of Florida any good to put the grandmother in prison? No, she will be punished everyday just remembering what she did to this child."
Old 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
This account of the story could also have read like this:

"He was at home with his grandmother (age 63) and the boy got up at 1:30 a.m. And his grandmother heard the noise, took her baseball bat, swung it with all her might once in the dark toward the sound, hit her target, and the 7 year old is in critical condition.

Every time I read of a family member being accidentally hit over the head with a baseball bat makes me wonder why some people insist on owning baseball bats. Home defense is the usual reason given but then a family tragedy happens too often. Yes, even once is too often.

Will it do the state of Florida any good to put the grandmother in prison? No, she will be punished everyday just remembering what she did to this child."
However, look at what ACTUALLY happened. I don't think playing the "it could have been" game is useful in a tragic situation.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 PM

The point is being missed here: Be mad at overreactive stupid people. Not the gun.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
I so disagree with this. Guns don't kill people. People don't kill people. People with guns kill people.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
Here's my take... Guns don't kill people. People don't kill people. People with guns kill people.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
...Guns don't kill people. People don't kill people. People with guns kill people.
People without guns kill people. Guns without people don't kill people.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

In this instance, a person with a gun critically wounded a 7 year old boy in the middle of the night after mistaken him for an intruder.

Is there any way to put a good spin on that? No.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
In this instance, a person with a gun critically wounded a 7 year old boy in the middle of the night after mistaken him for an intruder.

Is there any way to put a good spin on that? No.
Couldn't agree more. Not sure why you quoted my post. It certainly wasn't an attempt to put a good spin on anything. It was simply a statement of fact.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
No person, without a gun, found it easier to kill people than did those with a gun.
My theory and I'm stickin' with it.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 AM
Sage

Another sickening story. IMHO

Another story that reinforces my belief that guns laws need to be enacted to prevent this sort of episode, but that ain't going to happen!

If they couldn't get laws after Newtown, they won't get them anytime soon!

A gun should not be in the possession of someone who is not responsible or doesn't think straight.

Very sad.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Gold member

That is always very sad but the gun is not the problem. People are the problems and you just can't fix stupid! If you are an anti gun person fine don't own a gun. You could also put a bit sign in your yard (if TV allowed it) stating the you do not believe in guns. Do not tell other people that they can not protect their family and themselves. Read the Constitution and move to another country if you don't like ours.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.