With any interest in climate change, this is interesting.

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Default With any interest in climate change, this is interesting.

This was sent with this message: "This may not be in your local news."

Small Lake In Northwest Territories Will Soon Fall Off Cliff | eCanadaNow
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 PM
Gold member

And earlier this year, a ship studying the effects of global warming got trapped in ice.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
This was sent with this message: "This may not be in your local news."

Small Lake In Northwest Territories Will Soon Fall Off Cliff | eCanadaNow
Here we go again....
Old 07-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Platinum member

Nearly every scientist in the world attests to the fact that climate change and global warming are real. As reported in today's Daily Sun, 2015 is on track to be the warmest on record. The dangers of climate change and global warming, both now and in the future, are pretty well documented.

It reminds me of the debates in earlier decades about the health risks of smoking cigarettes. Is there anyone left in the world who doesn't recognize that smoking cigarettes are bad for your health? But it took decades to reach that point because it was inconvenient (read unprofitable) for a large sector of American business to admit that it was true and then do something about it. I remember reading smoking justifications that stated "here is a person who is 90 years old and has smoked cigarettes all their life, therefore cigarettes must not be bad for your health." Research is about provable trends, not individual examples.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Nearly every scientist in the world attests to the fact that climate change and global warming are real. As reported in today's Daily Sun, 2015 is on track to be the warmest on record. The dangers of climate change and global warming, both now and in the future, are pretty well documented.

It reminds me of the debates in earlier decades about the health risks of smoking cigarettes. Is there anyone left in the world who doesn't recognize that smoking cigarettes are bad for your health? But it took decades to reach that point because it was inconvenient (read unprofitable) for a large sector of American business to admit that it was true and then do something about it. I remember reading smoking justifications that stated "here is a person who is 90 years old and has smoked cigarettes all their life, therefore cigarettes must not be bad for your health." Research is about provable trends, not individual examples.

Please don't hurt yourself marching over the cliff.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Please don't suffocate in the sand!

Please realize that unless we stop using engines and manufacturing things, this is all ****ing in the wind. We cannot change man's basic selfishness. We have stringent laws against drug use and millions circumvent those laws. It is a sad situation. People can have their emissions monitored, we can reuse, recycle and reiterate until the ruminating cows come home.. We can only flush poop and we can move our arms and legs and make noise. BUT we cannot undo the industry that makes things that people want all over the world that is toxic to the air.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-26-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Gold member

I blame the ruminants.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

The number of gallons of oil pumped out of the ground since 1980 would fill Lake Tahoe in California. Take a look at the size of this lake on google earth. Pretty insignificant. Global warming may be occurring but it certainly cannot be because we have burned so much oil!!

Last edited by JP; 07-26-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You speak of climate change and global warming as if they are two separate ideas. They are the same thing. Once the term "global warnimg" became unacceptable the new term became "climate change". The climate has always changed. Nobody debates that. The issue is how much of it is anthropogenic and how much is the normal climatic cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post

Last edited by tuccillo; 07-26-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
You speak of climate change and global warming as if they are two separate ideas. They are the same thing. Once the term "global warnimg" became unacceptable the new term became "climate change". The climate has always changed. Nobody debates that. The issue is how much of it is anthropogenic and how much is the normal climatic cycle.
104% of it is the normal climate cycle
Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please realize that unless we stop using engines and manufacturing things, this is all ****ing in the wind. We cannot change man's basic selfishness. We have stringent laws against drug use and millions circumvent those laws. It is a sad situation. People can have their emissions monitored, we can reuse, recycle and reiterate until the ruminating cows come home.. We can only flush poop and we can move our arms and legs and make noise. BUT we cannot undo the industry that makes things that people want all over the world that is toxic to the air.
I don't agree with the lay-down-and-die attitude of many who think it's either unsolvable or not a problem. Thank God my smart, educated children have taken up the fight. They have more energy than I do.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't agree with the lay-down-and-die attitude of many who think it's either unsolvable or not a problem. Thank God my smart, educated children have taken up the fight. They have more energy than I do.
It's not a lay down and die attitude, if you believe it is not a problem.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

And you state this based on your vast subject matter expertise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
104% of it is the normal climate cycle
Old 07-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

xxx
Old 07-26-2015, 09:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

http://www.globalresearch.ca/article...lobalcool3.jpg

I hate to perpetuate this argument but since it keeps coming up, I offer the following info.

Global warming (this time) started about 15000 years ago. There were no Great Lakes or Niagara Falls when it began but they are there now. Look at the chart as to where temperatures have been. Think of how things have changed in 15000 years. Not Millions like the Grand Canyon. Shorelines of oceans were in areas which are miles from where they are now. The oceans have risen over the years. Not all of this was caused by man. Perhaps some , but temperatures today are not in excess of where they have been in some periods in the past. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This is one.

Not necessarily mine, but I think the graph at the site referenced above is interesting. I realize that the data may be flawed as not representative of the whole earth , but so is other data.

What is known is that there was an ice age (actually many). Something other than mankind reversed it (or caused it). The change in temperature was dramatic. Far greater than recent (past 500 years) or especially the last 100 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
news, local, message, interest, climate, change, interesting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.