Anyone have experience with YouTube TV at two homes?

Old 04-14-2024, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,132 Times in 2,767 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with YouTube TV at two homes?

Our contract with Comcast has expired at our northern home and we are about to cut the cord. Our future involves having internet at both our northern home and the Villages along with a subscription to a streaming service that easily allows us to stream at both homes (along with Netflix and Amazon Prime). My research has us strongly leaning towards YouTube TV, but before making the final decision I would greatly appreciate feedback from others in our situation.

Specifically, is it relatively easy/seamless to stream from both homes?

Does the cloud DVR service work seamlessly at both homes?

If one of us is at our Villages home, and the other is up north, can we both stream simultaneously from different locations?

When they say the limit is three streams concurrently, does that include recording to the cloud based DVR or just live TV?

Can we keep our northern home as our default location for local viewing regardless of where we are (we get local channels at our Villages home for free through our antenna)?

Have you hade any issues using Roku as the streaming device along with YouTube TV?

Any feedback from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our contract with Comcast has expired at our northern home and we are about to cut the cord. Our future involves having internet at both our northern home and the Villages along with a subscription to a streaming service that easily allows us to stream at both homes (along with Netflix and Amazon Prime). My research has us strongly leaning towards YouTube TV, but before making the final decision I would greatly appreciate feedback from others in our situation.

Specifically, is it relatively easy/seamless to stream from both homes?

Does the cloud DVR service work seamlessly at both homes?

If one of us is at our Villages home, and the other is up north, can we both stream simultaneously from different locations?

When they say the limit is three streams concurrently, does that include recording to the cloud based DVR or just live TV?

Can we keep our northern home as our default location for local viewing regardless of where we are (we get local channels at our Villages home for free through our antenna)?

Have you hade any issues using Roku as the streaming device along with YouTube TV?

Any feedback from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.
You tube tv requires you to put a "Home " location you can change I believe 3 times a year...this is for local channels like the news. We traveled all over in our RV using roku and YouTube tv and had no issues what so ever. Except the local news was always our home base. You also can't change you home base unless you are at that location. So if you want to keep up north your home base don't change anything etc. We have had YouTube tv for 6 or 7 years on Roku and just love it.

And we record tons of shows with multiple tvs going at once. So don't think it applies to recording
Old 04-14-2024, 06:11 PM

We chose YouTube TV when we became seasonal residents 8 years ago. We use Roku at both homes too. Streaming is easy qnd no problem at either home. You must “tune in” from your home location every 3 months to keep it primary for home channel viewing or change your home location which can only be done 1 time per year. We change our home location and it’s no problem. YouTubeTV has unlimited DVR and works from both locations. You should have no problem streaming from 2TV’s while recording. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatman View Post
You must “tune in” from your home location every 3 months to keep it primary for home channel viewing or change your home location which can only be done 1 time per year. We change our home location and it’s no problem.
Question about the 1 time per year. If someone lives 8 months in the North, then 4 months in TV, then by the 4th month in TV it sounds like you have to reset your home location to TV.
When you go back North after the 4th month, does that mean you’re stuck watching Florida local channels for 8 months due to the “can only change 1 time per year” and you already changed it once? That seems like a strange restriction.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:57 AM

I also think the pairing of Roku and YTTV works great. Like you, I travel between two houses.
I agree that YTTV is stingy in controlling the number of times a year you can change locations. It’s never been an issue for me, because I drop YTTV once or twice a year.
If it’s summer and it’s mostly reruns, I drop them for a few months. I pick up Max, Paramount+..Apple. Lots of good shows on those platforms to catch up on. I’m back to live tv for football season.
That’s the beauty of streaming, if you try it and don’t like it, just drop it.
In my two houses I have 6 different TVs. All different brands and varying ages, each with different remotes.
Now with Roku I have six different TVs all running on the same remote. That’s the beauty of Roku.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:28 AM
Sage

Thanks for the responses, the only question that hasn’t been addressed is regarding streaming from two separate locations simultaneously when one of us is at our Villages home and the other is up north? Having to log on once every three months to keep our home location is not a problem, we have friends check on our northern home periodically throughout the winter and they can simply turn on the television and stream for a couple minutes when stopping by. I wish YouTube TV actually had a customer service number so I could call and have my questions answered, but they don’t and the frequently asked questions in their online help center don’t address our specific questions/situation. Keep the information coming: (
Old 04-15-2024, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

You can stream on your phone anywhere, anytime, so I don't think it matters if someone streams at your home up north while you are here in The Villages.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
You can stream on your phone anywhere, anytime, so I don't think it matters if someone streams at your home up north while you are here in The Villages.
My understanding is that streaming service recognize the device being used and allow mobile devices from different locations, but not necessarily devices running televisions? I think it is to prevent people from giving out their password to friends/family instead of them signing up for the service. We aren’t intending on stealing the service, we just want to be able to use it at both of our homes. I’m not sure how this works as we are just venturing into the world of cutting the cord and none of the streaming services have customer service representatives that you can actually talk to. Very frustrating trying to make an informed decision without being able to get the necessary information without trial and error.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,622 Times in 951 Posts

We have YouTube TV at three houses. I am watching TV now in the NE and my wife is watching in the Villages
You also can share the account with 4 other family members, so my adult kids have their own log in watch whatever they want

If two log ins at the same time is an issue, I would set up an account for my wife, with her email.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:11 AM
Default Awkward 3 1/2 months away

[QUOTE=Sweatman;2321647]We chose YouTube TV when we became seasonal residents 8 years ago. We use Roku at both homes too. Streaming is easy qnd no problem at either home. You must “tune in” from your home location every 3 months to keep it primary for home channel viewing or change your home location which can only be done 1 time per year. We change our home location and it’s no problem. YouTubeTV has unlimited DVR and works from both locations. You should have no problem streaming from 2TV’s while recording. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE

We are away from TV for a little over 3 1/2 months, use youtubetv while away and normally choose the “here temporarily” option. After 3 months we run into trouble and all sorts of annoying things happen. Would we not be allowed to change locations “permanently” when we first arrive at our summer destination and then again when we return to TV? That’s 2 changes. If not, what would you suggest?

I don’t remember exactly what happened last year, but I think that at the end of our stay away I had to cancel my subscription and restart it from scratch when I returned to TV - a real pain in the neck.
Old 04-16-2024, 05:17 AM
Default You Tube TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thanks for the responses, the only question that hasn’t been addressed is regarding streaming from two separate locations simultaneously when one of us is at our Villages home and the other is up north? Having to log on once every three months to keep our home location is not a problem, we have friends check on our northern home periodically throughout the winter and they can simply turn on the television and stream for a couple minutes when stopping by. I wish YouTube TV actually had a customer service number so I could call and have my questions answered, but they don’t and the frequently asked questions in their online help center don’t address our specific questions/situation. Keep the information coming: (
We swapped to You Tube TV in the last year. We were in the Villages for January and February, so I was able to switch to local TV. I am back in Massachusetts this month with local new here while my husband is in Florida. He can watch You Tube in the Villages while I am here. He doesn't watch much tv, so I don't know what is available to him, but I think he can watch everything, and what is in our library (recordings).
Old 04-16-2024, 05:27 AM

Couple of items from someone that had used it for years.
It is not device dependent. It is password/id. Can sign in from any device any where. You can also sign in with same pas/I'd on multiple devices simultaneously. TV, iPad phone. You may get streaming limit reached then just sign off one.
There are hacks for getting local stations without changing "home".
Most common is have one user for the villages. Each season you can delete that user then create a new one. Works for 3 months then wants to see the home network. You can create a second user then not use that one till first runs out. 3 months starts when you use it away from home first time.
Second hack is using an app like FakeGPS on your phone. You can turn it on, use home location, then sign in to YouTube TV. You will now see your local channels from home. If you want to see local channels to the villages, when you log in it asks are you traveling, say yes, it will then give you local to your Device channels here
It is the best service for streaming and allows for guest sign in near your home network that you define.
Any questions just message me.
Good luck. I use Centric as my Internet provider. $65/mo, Fiber, 1gig speed. Most services are 400-500 megabytes. I don't recommend spectrum, Verizon. Centric has awesome customer service and never a problem
Old 04-16-2024, 06:00 AM

We have YouTubeTV and have been snowbirding in our motorhome for years. Moving to TV this year.
The only issue is with local channels. You can change your Home location twice a year if needed. You can watch from multiple locations but can only have one home location so one person won’t get local channels.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:05 AM

I am here in The Villages and my husband is back in Connecticut. He said he could not sign on and I’m wondering if he’s doing something wrong? The cost of cable TV is increasing this week and I’d be forever grateful if you could please help me figure out how to get him to sign on while in another state.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:19 AM

We have a VSeeBox - it streams EVERYTHING and you only pay for the box (no monthly fees). I can watch every NFL game, every movie / series, etc. The live TV gets you almost every station in the country - so if you want to watch the news from back home, no problem. The only issue is that it streams about 2 minutes behind live TV - so if you and your friends text during a game don’t check your phone!! I take the box back and forth between 2 locations (if you wanted to watch at both locations at the same time you’d need 2 boxes). If you buy one don’t get it from Amazon - join a VSeeBox FB group and buy from one of the distributors (you’ll get much better service).

Tags
home, homes, villages, stream, northern

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.