Anything made with plastic to increase significantly in price or disappear completely

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 07:31 AM

Good! Plastics are ruining the environment. Floating piles of plastics larger than some of our larger states floating in the oceans and killing off sea life. If prices went up it might force a more thoughtful and sensible use of plastics. Every little bit we can each do helps -- switch to a re-fillable water container and use instead of bottled water. Put your produce directly in your shopping basket and skip the little plastic bags. We don't need plastic in every aspect of our lives.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:38 AM

Good!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:40 AM

If something makes sense and there is a market for it and it is affordable the need will be filled and those filling the need will make money. IF it has to be mandated by the government then it probably is a bad idea or just not feasible. e.g. compact florescent bulbs. They were mandated and came with a hazmat sheet for disposal. LCD's on the other hand are widely accepted by the public as they make sense, don't require warm up period and are not a environmental hazard. Another example was Low E glass coatings. Not mandated but they make sense and are afforable. Good ideas don't require mandates!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:46 AM

Fine post Kannon! rare for TOTV
Mikale
Old 10-26-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
There are areas where we can reduce fossil fuel consumption thru use of new, cleaner, reusable energy sources - solar being a key one. You can already see car companies changing, not due to gov't pressures, but economic pressures in developing new electric cars. Eventually all cars and motorcycles will be electric and that will reduce emissions and force oil companies to change. I support the transition that Biden is pushing. Remember telegraph operators or telephone operators. Well long haul trackers will be changing in the future and so must oil companies. But that being said, there will remain important areas of our economy where oil will remain - plastics for one. Although new means of production that help reduce environmental damage will coincide with continuing oil usage.

Embrace the change. Trump pushed coal subsidies for an industry that is being forced due to economic pressures to change. If I was in PA or Texas I would embrace gov't support to transition to the future, instead of keeping status quo thru subsidies.
Well all I can say is that my $28,000.worth of solar cells do not produce enough electricity to run my 3br home, and that is without having to plug in an electric vehicle. If I can't make enough solar energy in the Sunshine State what are the folks in Michigan going to do in the dead of winter? As a pilot I can assure you that electric aircraft will not work, the energy density of jet-a can never be matched by batteries.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Many, maybe even most, plastics are made from petroleum. If we shut down the oil industry it will likely significantly impact the availability and/or cost of anything made of or containing a significant amount of plastic.
Necessity be the mother of invention. If you lived in the early 1900s I fear you would be worried about the demise of buggy whip companies. Would you be concerned about the Whaling Oil Industry and transition to Kerosene? Those dusty coal bins and transition to petroleum. Now we are transitioning to Natural Gas, Propane, Methane for electricity supplemented by Wind and Solar. Currently technology is being driven to plant based materials for substitution of petroleum products for plastics.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxCat View Post
Good! Plastics are ruining the environment. Floating piles of plastics larger than some of our larger states floating in the oceans and killing off sea life. If prices went up it might force a more thoughtful and sensible use of plastics. Every little bit we can each do helps -- switch to a re-fillable water container and use instead of bottled water. Put your produce directly in your shopping basket and skip the little plastic bags. We don't need plastic in every aspect of our lives.
Could you please cite a legitimate reference or even a picture that supports the statement that there are "Floating piles of plastics larger than some of our larger states floating in the oceans" (Nothing from a lunatic fringe environmental publication please)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:35 AM

I am very knowledgeable about wind energy . My relative is an “expert” on wind energy . He has testified in court as an expert many times and has had many papers published . He is an engineer with expertise on wind energy. A very very small percentage of energy is produced with wind turbines! They are not efficient ! Also the blades are not biodegradable ! There is no way to dispose of them so they are being stockpiled when they need replacement. Very large problem.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download (6).jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	86734  
Old 10-26-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
If it means the end of those stupid blister packs that no one can open safely, I say Hurray!!!

Time to move on folks. We can do better.
Wonder who invented blister packs. He or she should be arrested and forced to spend 20 years opening the darn things
Old 10-26-2020, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooziesoul View Post
I am very knowledgeable about wind energy . My relative is an “expert” on wind energy . He has testified in court as an expert many times and has had many papers published . He is an engineer with expertise on wind energy. A very very small percentage of energy is produced with wind turbines! They are not efficient ! Also the blades are not biodegradable ! There is no way to dispose of them so they are being stockpiled when they need replacement. Very large problem.
Could they be buried in the old coal mines?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
I wonder how many birds are killed by turbines?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Many, maybe even most, plastics are made from petroleum. If we shut down the oil industry it will likely significantly impact the availability and/or cost of anything made of or containing a significant amount of plastic.
Works for me!!! Plastic is SO TACKY
Old 10-26-2020, 09:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Strange Block Island Ri switched from burning 1million gallons of fuel oil to wind power only. It uses only 30% to sustain islands power from wind the other 70% is sent back to mainland.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Battery technology is not there yet. Would you want to fly in a plane that is running on batteries?
They are building a coal plant in Abu Dhabi to diversify their energy reliance sources.
The wind turbines are being taken down as we speak and their materials are a pollution nightmare besides killing birds.
Solar is not enough and not reliable.
So, mixing technologies is probably the best way to go until a technological breakthrough happens.
Buy and use less plastics wherever you can.
Common sense.
Closed Thread

Tags
made, plastic, significantly, oil, industry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.