Appliance Woes

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Julie
Default Appliance Woes

Our house is set to close on Monday November 23rd, which is the good news. We agreed to include the appliances which are all in the over 15 year age category. Everything was going along just fine until our washing machine decided if he couldn’t make the cross-country trip with us to The Villages he was going to cease working altogether. The bad news is: We were informed by our realtor that even though the appliances are relatively old, they must be in working order.

Now I’ve never given my washing machine a name. But I know my large white box is a he. His symptoms were to fill and empty the water. No agitation, no spin. He did produce an odd shrieking noise during what would have been the agitation and spin phases.

Oh he thought he was going to get away with just giving up until I went online and discovered what I thought to be the problem. Broken motor coupler. What? I had never even heard of a motor coupler.

Thankfully, my husband is pretty handy indeed. If anyone could fix this machine it was my man. He took the washer apart and sure enough, the existing motor coupler was disintegrated. It did take half of our day to take care of all this, but now my big white box is up and running again.

This moving stuff is stressful enough without appliances deciding to go on the blink. If he decides to pull something else I’m going to name him, and it probably won’t be anything nice.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Sage

Julie...maybe it's a regional thing, but, I always thought washer/dryer were 'bonus' appliances and, if conveyed, were "as is". Whereas, more essential appliances like Heat, A/C, fridge, oven, HWH, had to be in working order. Oh well, mox nix, since hubby has fixed it. Always something in the way to gum up a smooth deal. But, you're almost there.... paradise awaits.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:54 PM

oh i do like the mox nix, or macht nichts, ist fasching as we used to say!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Eternal Member

07, my experience has been that what appliances are included gets negotiated into the contract.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
......... We agreed to include the appliances which are all in the over 15 year age category. Everything was going along just fine until our washing machine decided if he couldn’t make the cross-country trip with us to The Villages he was going to cease working altogether............

This moving stuff is stressful enough without appliances deciding to go on the blink. If he decides to pull something else I’m going to name him, and it probably won’t be anything nice.
Ohhhhh Julie,

How well I understand. I once had a big refrigerator go all sullen and silent and dark on me when I told him I was moving on and he needed to see other people.

Boomer
Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If Appliances are listed in the contract the presumption is they are working and the new buyers would have a right to make claim at settlement if they were not working...unless the contract stated "as is" or had some other type of peculiar languge included.

When we moved south and sold the washer and dryer...we did it off contract along with other furniture and accessories. Different regions of the US have standards as to what conveys with a house -- Stove, Refrig, dishwasher etc....not all locations requires these items to convey. AS a seller it is always easier to keep the contract as clean as possible. As a buyer I want the items listed with the expectatioin they be in working order.

Also if you had a home warranty included as a sale enticement in your listing agreement , in most cases this waranty would cover all repairs minus deductible to listed appliances and even more (ie garage door openers) while the house is still for sale and definitely after sale. You dont pay for the warranty until the sale is settled. Thats one of the BIG bebefits of a home warranty for a seller.

Last edited by 784caroline; 11-14-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Default You're not alone

That really stinks. When I was selling my home in CT before moving South, the dishwasher began flooding into the basement during selling inspection!! I thought it was a deal breaker, but luckily, I had the dishwasher fixed to a tune of $150. He buyer wanted it replaced, but, as with you, the appliances only needed to be in 'working order'.

It happens to the best of us.

Linda

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNYMARYANN View Post
oh i do like the mox nix, or macht nichts, ist fasching as we used to say!

Sounds like crunchie speak. Vas loos at the ghasthaus?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
If Appliances are listed in the contract the presumption is they are working and the new buyers would have a right to make claim at settlement if they were not working...unless the contract stated "as is" or had some other type of peculiar languge included.

When we moved south and sold the washer and dryer...we did it off contract along with other furniture and accessories. Different regions of the US have standards as to what conveys with a house -- Stove, Refrig, dishwasher etc....not all locations requires these items to convey. AS a seller it is always easier to keep the contract as clean as possible. As a buyer I want the items listed with the expectatioin they be in working order.

Also if you had a home warranty included as a sale enticement in your listing agreement , in most cases this waranty would cover all repairs minus deductible to listed appliances and even more (ie garage door openers) while the house is still for sale and definitely after sale. You dont pay for the warranty until the sale is settled. Thats one of the BIG bebefits of a home warranty for a seller.
I agree that the buyers should expect the appliances that were included in the sale to be in working order. We did purchase a home warranty which will go into effect when the sale is complete.

The good news is that because my husband rode in like a knight in shining armor on his white horse repairing the problem. The motor coupler only cost $18, so I guess we got off fairly easy price wise. It was really more of an inconvenience than anything.

Darned appliances.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Double check your home warranty...many of them cover your appliances at time of listing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.