Old 03-12-2024, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
It's only a good argument until.....
You get rated up for going 1 mph over the speed limit, or
Slam on the brakes to avoid a 3 year old kid, or
Floor it through the intersection with a green light when you notice some bozo running the red light and headed straight for you.

I'm sure the insurance company would attentively listen to your story, and then rate you up anyway---after all, what's the downside for them?
The way it has worked when the insurance company required the use of the device for my initial policy was that thresholds were set. There was no opportunity for me to explain that I slammed on the brakes to avoid the 3 year old kid but instead, the insurance company took into consideration how many times 3 year old kids were running into the street in front of me. I don't recall if the threshold was three or five or ten incidents in a month but I never reached it.

Yes, the company could lower the threshold to a single incident. They could also reverse the analysis and use the driving habits of those that made claims to adjust the thresholds down.

I don't trust insurance companies and so I haven't volunteered for those type of programs.

Basically, if the pitch includes, "If you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about," then I want no part of it.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-12-2024, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
There is a article in today's NY Times talking about how your driving data is being shared with insurance companies. Yes it is behind a pay wall.

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies - The New York Times

An excerpt

"Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor.

LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets. Upon Mr. Dahl’s request, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page “consumer disclosure report,” which it must provide per the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What it contained stunned him: more than 130 pages detailing each time he or his wife had driven the Bolt over the previous six months. It included the dates of 640 trips, their start and end times, the distance driven and an accounting of any speeding, hard braking or sharp accelerations. The only thing it didn’t have is where they had driven the car."

If you have Onstar or similar system, big brother is watching!
MAY BE? You’re kidding right. IMO they’re no doubt.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Personally, I don't have a problem with big brother tracking my driving. But, a 21 percent increase in premiums may have nothing to do with the driving report. I had Allstate auto insurance for 27 years with no claims, no tickets, no excessive driving usage, and very little highway driving, and they raised my premium by 32 percent. Go figure.
I don't like the IDEA or CONCEPT of big brother tracking my driving habits. But if they do, I would probably get an insurance discount. I drive defensively and keep a reasonable distance between my car and the vehicle in front of me. I don't speed and I brake slowly to a stop. I only slam on the brakes to prevent an accident when some clown makes a mistake and pulls in front of me without looking (which happens fairly often in The Villages).
.....I read recently that during the Covid years that tickets for aggressive driving increased (and also murders).
Old 03-12-2024, 09:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My grandson has a black box fitted to his car by insurance company.
It lowers his premium a lot, and as a new 17-year-old driver, it is a big help.
Insurance premiums for first time drivers in many cases in the UK exceed the cost of the car being driven.
It also gives both his parents, and us, a little more peace of mind in that too much speed or hard cornering and breaking will cost him big time financially.
Interesting story and I think that it is important that he VOLUNTEERED to be monitored. That takes the "big brother" concept out of the picture.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Minimum insurance in UK is Third Party, Fire and Theft.
My grandson pays close to £1750 for comprehensive insurance, with a black box, but has a Volvo which is considered a lower risk car which kept premium down.
His friend has a VW Golf, and pays close to £3000.
Golfs are a Higher premium simply because of the number of accidents they have.
Boy Racers preferred wheels!
I wonder if the insurance for an e-vehicle would be higher or lower than gas. And was there more fires or less with E-vehicles?
Old 03-12-2024, 09:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I wonder if the insurance for an e-vehicle would be higher or lower than gas. And was there more fires or less with E-vehicles?
Talk to a professional firefighter. A car fire is more manageable for a department. Without a foam truck in your arsenal all you can do is stand by and wait....for hours til an E vehicle burns out and into its own debris field.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,521 Times in 3,108 Posts

I disable drivewise when I'm visiting my family in southeastern Florida. The "speeding" max is 80mph, if you hit that number, you lose the credit for that month. Sometimes, I'll be in the middle lane behind people going a little slow (like, 60-65 in a 70mph zone), and traffic is starting to back up behind me. So I'll speed up significantly to pass them on the left, often going over 80mph just to get past them. I get back into the middle lane and slow down to 68-72mh, and continue on my way. The drivewise program doesn't know WHY I'm speeding up, only that I am. So - I shut it off before I head out for a trip where I expect to do that at least a couple of times.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I disable drivewise when I'm visiting my family in southeastern Florida. The "speeding" max is 80mph, if you hit that number, you lose the credit for that month. Sometimes, I'll be in the middle lane behind people going a little slow (like, 60-65 in a 70mph zone), and traffic is starting to back up behind me. So I'll speed up significantly to pass them on the left, often going over 80mph just to get past them. I get back into the middle lane and slow down to 68-72mh, and continue on my way. The drivewise program doesn't know WHY I'm speeding up, only that I am. So - I shut it off before I head out for a trip where I expect to do that at least a couple of times.
Is it really ‘shut off’? Let’s be real. No different than Siri, Alexa etc. Just a quick search on OnStar doesn’t address if they ‘listen’ or monitor to you unsuspecting, only that a warrant is needed for law enforcement access to your activity.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:24 AM
Default Driving data is being shared with insurance companies?

I'm always surprised by those-who-don't-wish-to-get-caught-doing-the-wrong-thing being "found out" via some valid source! In this case, the insurance companies...
Old 03-12-2024, 02:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Is it really ‘shut off’? Let’s be real. No different than Siri, Alexa etc. Just a quick search on OnStar doesn’t address if they ‘listen’ or monitor to you unsuspecting, only that a warrant is needed for law enforcement access to your activity.
Sure? Federal law enforcement can do about anything. Why are the paying companies millions for information. You think FB makes billions from free web site? They’re selling you information to anyone that will pay. Problem 3rd party rule and tiny fine print when signup?
Old 03-12-2024, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Sure? Federal law enforcement can do about anything. Why are the paying companies millions for information. You think FB makes billions from free web site? They’re selling you information to anyone that will pay. Problem 3rd party rule and tiny fine print when signup?
I think we’re on the same page on this one
Old 03-12-2024, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Why is that tracking bad?
Ever have to brake hard to avoid a collision because someone pulls out right in front of you? = Rate increase.
Ever drive in a school zone when school is closed and the blinking yellow lights are not on? = Rate increase.
Ever drive on an interstate at 2mph above the speed limit? = Rate increase.
Ever exceed the speed limit to pass another vehicle? = Rate increase.
Ever allow someone else to drive your car, one time perhaps? Like a Valet or a serviceman, and you have zero control over what they do? = Rate increase.

Do you think driving "perfectly" is possible, and if you did, your rate goes down? LOL ROFL
Have a neigbor who has all that tracking......last year, he received $805.00 from his insurance company. He wasn't perfect and did get reports on areas that impacted his premium. Guess your company doesn't do that huh?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-13-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Have a neigbor who has all that tracking......last year, he received $805.00 from his insurance company. He wasn't perfect and did get reports on areas that impacted his premium. Guess your company doesn't do that huh?
I would get more money under your scenario than I pay. That would be interesting.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
When petrol is $5-$6 a gallon, hellcats too expensive to run

If I lacked sense enough to buy one gas would be bottom of list of expense.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Could you provide....or your friend, a redacted version of your claim? If the policy was for a single car at say $1,000yr, what carrier would rebate $805.?! More like $80.50. Your post makes it appear it is for one vehicle. Unless your friend drives a semi with an 8K policy, those savings are unrealistic

Tags
insurance, lexisnexis, driven, car, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.