Automakers may be sharing your driving habits with Insurance Companies

Old 03-11-2024, 10:37 AM
Default Automakers may be sharing your driving habits with Insurance Companies

There is a article in today's NY Times talking about how your driving data is being shared with insurance companies. Yes it is behind a pay wall.

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies - The New York Times

An excerpt

"Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor.

LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets. Upon Mr. Dahl’s request, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page “consumer disclosure report,” which it must provide per the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What it contained stunned him: more than 130 pages detailing each time he or his wife had driven the Bolt over the previous six months. It included the dates of 640 trips, their start and end times, the distance driven and an accounting of any speeding, hard braking or sharp accelerations. The only thing it didn’t have is where they had driven the car."

If you have Onstar or similar system, big brother is watching!

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)

Old 03-11-2024, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
There is a article in today's NY Times talking about how your driving data is being shared with insurance companies. Yes it is behind a pay wall.

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving

Behavior With Insurance Companies - The New York Times

An excerpt

"Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor.

LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets. Upon Mr. Dahl’s request, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page “consumer disclosure report,” which it must provide per the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What it contained stunned him: more than 130 pages detailing each time he or his wife had driven the Bolt over the previous six months. It included the dates of 640 trips, their start and end times, the distance driven and an accounting of any speeding, hard braking or sharp accelerations. The only thing it didn’t have is where they had driven the car."

If you have Onstar or similar system, big brother is watching!
Nothing new here. 'Black box' technology has been standard in most vehicles for years. One of the major insurance companies has advertised a plug in for its customers that allows them to track in lieu of potential premium reductions. Get used to it. You all can use Google maps and Waze or smartphones to make it easier in them .... i'll stick to soft cover maps and AAA TripTiks!

Old 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Personally, I don't have a problem with big brother tracking my driving. But, a 21 percent increase in premiums may have nothing to do with the driving report. I had Allstate auto insurance for 27 years with no claims, no tickets, no excessive driving usage, and very little highway driving, and they raised my premium by 32 percent. Go figure.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,378 Times in 2,519 Posts

My grandson has a black box fitted to his car by insurance company.
It lowers his premium a lot, and as a new 17-year-old driver, it is a big help.
Insurance premiums for first time drivers in many cases in the UK exceed the cost of the car being driven.
It also gives both his parents, and us, a little more peace of mind in that too much speed or hard cornering and breaking will cost him big time financially.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

The industry, while wanting safe drivers and credit worthy clientele, the real money is in poor drivers. Higher premiums and surcharges. I equate it to an auto dealer...most don't care about a briefcase with cash for purchase. Theyre selling financing (interest etc) and extended warranties.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My grandson has a black box fitted to his car by insurance company.
It lowers his premium a lot, and as a new 17-year-old driver, it is a big help.
Insurance premiums for first time drivers in many cases in the UK exceed the cost of the car being driven.
It also gives both his parents, and us, a little more peace of mind in that too much speed or hard cornering and breaking will cost him big time financially.
If an insurance premium cost more than the car, one would have to be pretty stupid to buy anything more than liability.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
If an insurance premium cost more than the car, one would have to be pretty stupid to buy anything more than liability.
If a carrier would even underwrite it

Old 03-11-2024, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
If a carrier would even underwrite it
Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
Minimum insurance in UK is Third Party, Fire and Theft.
My grandson pays close to £1750 for comprehensive insurance, with a black box, but has a Volvo which is considered a lower risk car which kept premium down.
His friend has a VW Golf, and pays close to £3000.
Golfs are a Higher premium simply because of the number of accidents they have.
Boy Racers preferred wheels!

Old 03-11-2024, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Minimum insurance in UK is Third Party, Fire and Theft.
My grandson pays close to £1750 for comprehensive insurance, with a black box, but has a Volvo which is considered a lower risk car which kept premium down.
His friend has a VW Golf, and pays close to £3000.
Golfs are a Higher premium simply because of the number of accidents they have.
Boy Racers preferred wheels!
I’m guessing dodge challenge hellcats don’t sell well over there?

Old 03-11-2024, 03:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’m guessing dodge challenge hellcats don’t sell well over there?
Only us pensioners can afford to run them!

Old 03-11-2024, 04:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Personally, I don't have a problem with big brother tracking my driving. But, a 21 percent increase in premiums may have nothing to do with the driving report. I had Allstate auto insurance for 27 years with no claims, no tickets, no excessive driving usage, and very little highway driving, and they raised my premium by 32 percent. Go figure.
I've had Allstate all my adult life, and my parents had Allstate when I was growing up. Our insurance went down when we moved here. It's gone up a little bit since then, but it's still less than it was when we lived up north, 5 years ago. Plus - I signed up for their Drivewise program. I figure they know every move I make anyway, I might as well get a discount for the privilege. So I get 3% off my premium just because I signed up for the program. And if my driving habits are "clean" I get up to another 7% discount.

That's on top of all the discounts we get now. We're paying around $1400 per -year- for two vehicles, combined, and another $200 (give or take a few bucks) for the two golf carts.

Old 03-11-2024, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I've had Allstate all my adult life, and my parents had Allstate when I was growing up. Our insurance went down when we moved here. It's gone up a little bit since then, but it's still less than it was when we lived up north, 5 years ago. Plus - I signed up for their Drivewise program. I figure they know every move I make anyway, I might as well get a discount for the privilege. So I get 3% off my premium just because I signed up for the program. And if my driving habits are "clean" I get up to another 7% discount.

That's on top of all the discounts we get now. We're paying around $1400 per -year- for two vehicles, combined, and another $200 (give or take a few bucks) for the two golf carts.
I saved more than 50 percent by switching to State Farm, after Allstate raised my premium by 32 percent.

Old 03-11-2024, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Onstar has used technology to disable stolen cars for many years.

Find those who have memory issues and have lost their way.

Have helped young girls get to safety when a potential adult to trying to do them harm

Reported an accident when passengers are unconscious.

Given direction to quickly leave an unsafe area.

So yep big brother may be watching, but countless people have been saved

Old 03-11-2024, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Onstar has used technology to disable stolen cars for many years.

Find those who have memory issues and have lost their way.

Have helped young girls get to safety when a potential adult to trying to do them harm

Reported an accident when passengers are unconscious.

Given direction to quickly leave an unsafe area.

So yep big brother may be watching, but countless people have been saved
All of the above true. How did we all make it this far in life without all of this technology?!

Old 03-11-2024, 06:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
All of the above true. How did we all make it this far in life without all of this technology?!
First Mercedes I bought, I think 2003. I get a phone call, from an out-of-breath young lady, inquiring as to my location and if I'm safe. "Quite safe", I replied. "We're showing your vehicle is in the ocean, are you in it", she asks?

"Nah, but I'm on the Ferry Boat to Martha's Vineyard".

Tags
insurance, lexisnexis, driven, car, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.