Automakers may be sharing your driving habits with Insurance Companies

Old 03-11-2024, 07:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Personally, I don't have a problem with big brother tracking my driving. But, a 21 percent increase in premiums may have nothing to do with the driving report. I had Allstate auto insurance for 27 years with no claims, no tickets, no excessive driving usage, and very little highway driving, and they raised my premium by 32 percent. Go figure.
Unfortunately, insurance pricing is based(mostly) on the companies paid claims and your share of a pool of people.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’m guessing dodge challenge hellcats don’t sell well over there?
When petrol is $5-$6 a gallon, hellcats too expensive to run
Old 03-12-2024, 04:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
All of the above true. How did we all make it this far in life without all of this technology?!
When a man following our 17yo granddaughter for 11 miles trying to force her off the road multiple times.

Onstar was with her along with 9 local and county sheriffs, driving near her. For 21 minutes she was directed where to turn, finally guiding her to a parking area. Where she was told where to park and not to move, officers were in place to keep her safe.

The man jumped out of his car with a tire iron, tried to get inside. Within seconds Leo’s took over situation (man had been convicted of prior abduction).

The Onstar advisor acting quickly to get Sheriff in place to save her. For us without that technology she could have been attacked or worse.

For the last 4 years she goes to schools to give her accounts and warnings of what to do with either on board advisors or cellphones if anyone thinks they are could be in danger while driving. Not to hesitate calling even if it may be a false alarm.

She is still in contact with the officers and Onstar advisor, thankful for their help, keeping her safe
Old 03-12-2024, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
When a man following our 17yo granddaughter for 11 miles trying to force her off the road multiple times.

Onstar was with her along with 9 local and county sheriffs, driving near her. For 21 minutes she was directed where to turn, finally guiding her to a parking area. Where she was told where to park and not to move, officers were in place to keep her safe.

The man jumped out of his car with a tire iron, tried to get inside. Within seconds Leo’s took over situation (man had been convicted of prior abduction).

The Onstar advisor acting quickly to get Sheriff in place to save her. For us without that technology she could have been attacked or worse.

For the last 4 years she goes to schools to give her accounts and warnings of what to do with either on board advisors or cellphones if anyone thinks they are could be in danger while driving. Not to hesitate calling even if it may be a false alarm.

She is still in contact with the officers and Onstar advisor, thankful for their help, keeping her safe
Every parents (grandparents) nightmare. Glad yours was a happy ending. Kudos to your granddaughter for educating young people as I’m sure it’s a form of therapy for her as well. Thank you for sharing
Old 03-12-2024, 06:48 AM

Why is that tracking bad?
Ever have to brake hard to avoid a collision because someone pulls out right in front of you? = Rate increase.
Ever drive in a school zone when school is closed and the blinking yellow lights are not on? = Rate increase.
Ever drive on an interstate at 2mph above the speed limit? = Rate increase.
Ever exceed the speed limit to pass another vehicle? = Rate increase.
Ever allow someone else to drive your car, one time perhaps? Like a Valet or a serviceman, and you have zero control over what they do? = Rate increase.

Do you think driving "perfectly" is possible, and if you did, your rate goes down? LOL ROFL
Old 03-12-2024, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Ever have to brake hard to avoid a collision because someone pulls out right in front of you? = Rate increase.
Ever drive in a school zone when school is closed and the blinking yellow lights are not on? = Rate increase.
Ever allow someone else to drive your car, one time perhaps? Like a Valet or a serviceman, and you have zero control over what they do? = Rate increase.

Do you think driving "perfectly" is possible, and if you did, your rate goes down? LOL ROFL
Just another piece of the Orwellian nightmare jigsaw puzzle. They're starting to make King George III look good.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:12 AM
Default Safe pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
There is a article in today's NY Times talking about how your driving data is being shared with insurance companies. Yes it is behind a pay wall.

Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies - The New York Times

An excerpt

"Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor.

LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets. Upon Mr. Dahl’s request, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page “consumer disclosure report,” which it must provide per the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What it contained stunned him: more than 130 pages detailing each time he or his wife had driven the Bolt over the previous six months. It included the dates of 640 trips, their start and end times, the distance driven and an accounting of any speeding, hard braking or sharp accelerations. The only thing it didn’t have is where they had driven the car."

If you have Onstar or similar system, big brother is watching!
I installed a free app from my insurance company USAA that tracks my driving . I get a 10 % discount due to the driving score
I receive.
Don’t see or have a problem if any auto maker wants to do the same
thing . .
Old 03-12-2024, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post

Not the way it works for most companies (from someone who has used the devices to lower his rates).

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-12-2024, 07:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
I installed a free app from my insurance company USAA that tracks my driving . I get a 10 % discount due to the driving score
I receive.
thing . .
Don't see a problem??? Seriously???

Maybe you would allow the insurance company to install cameras in your home to make sure you don't have any unsafe throw rugs that would affect your liability premium? How about a bathroom camera to insure you use the grab bar in the shower correctly??? After all, just like driving, they are "protecting" you by encouraging "safe" behavior and rating up the premiums on those that don't comply with their rules. Yes, Big Brother is watching.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
I receive.
thing . .
Not a problem if you are provided a choice and the ability to opt out. I believe one of the main points of the article was that the data was being collected and forwarded without informing the user.

I would absolutely argue that three confusing sentences buried in a fifteen page EULA is not "informing the user."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-12-2024, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

When I purchase an automobile and have the title, I OWN it, and everything in it, including any computer components. When I own it, I control it. Nobody else has the authority to use it for any reason. If I want my insurance company to track me, then I will give them permission to install their tracking equipment. Otherwise, it's an invasion of privacy.
If you're worried about your physical safety from others, then carry a firearm.
If you're worried about getting lost, then learn how to read a map.
If you're worried about getting locked out of your vehicle, then carry a spare set of keys or key fob.
If you don't know how to change a flat tire, then don't drive.

Don't give up your personal freedoms for a bit of convenience.
My own opinion, and I've told countless Chevy and GM salesmen ..".Onstar is for idiots".[/LIST]
Old 03-12-2024, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Maybe you would allow the insurance company to install cameras in your home to make sure you don't have any unsafe throw rugs that would affect your liability premium? How about a bathroom camera to insure you use the grab bar in the shower correctly??? After all, just like driving, they are "protecting" you by encouraging "safe" behavior and rating up the premiums on those that don't comply with their rules. Yes, Big Brother is watching.
Great points. Where does it end and like anything else, if there is no pushback every facet of your life will be infringed upon. The problem here is there will be no way to hit the reset
Old 03-12-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Oddly, this actually makes a good argument for using the data. My insurance rates are calculated according to the "group" I am in (over 55, married, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-year safe driver, anti-theft system, etc). There are likely some in my "group" who regularly drive in an unsafe manner resulting in crashes, claims, and an increase of rates. If my insurance company could know that I was NOT one of those drivers then it could put me in a different group with lower rates and up the premiums on those with the unsafe habits. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Ultimately, however, I agree with you. I don't want to be tracked and I don't want to be monitored, I don't want to give an inch then find out I've lost a mile. That is why I have declined to enroll in any voluntary monitoring program.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-12-2024, 07:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Great points. Where does it end and like anything else, if there is no pushback every facet of your life will be infringed upon. The problem here is there will be no way to hit the reset
Exactly. And here's the ultimate irony: Those who are stupid enough to allow their insurance company track their driving habits (i.e.: sold out their privacy and freedoms for a few bucks) will be the loudest to whine and complain when for whatever reason THEIR premiums get raised.

It's not dissimilar to a recent thread where a poster was "happy" that sheriff pulled over a "speeder" on BV (limit 35) because he "deserved" it while that poster was driving at 42 and the other guy was going faster. I never got a response to my comment that he was also "speeding" and maybe the slug going 28 thought that HE deserved it as well. So, did he have a tracking device??? I doubt it.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Oddly, this actually makes a good argument for using the data. My insurance rates are calculated according to the "group" I am in (over 55, married, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-year safe driver, anti-theft system, etc). There are likely some in my "group" who regularly drive in an unsafe manner resulting in crashes, claims, and an increase of rates. If my insurance company could know that I was NOT one of those drivers then it could put me in a different group with lower rates and up the premiums on those with the unsafe habits. That actually makes a lot of sense.

Ultimately, however, I agree with you. I don't want to be tracked and I don't want to be monitored, I don't want to give an inch then find out I've lost a mile. That is why I have declined to enroll in any voluntary monitoring program.
It's only a good argument until.....
You get rated up for going 1 mph over the speed limit, or
Slam on the brakes to avoid a 3 year old kid, or
Floor it through the intersection with a green light when you notice some bozo running the red light and headed straight for you.

I'm sure the insurance company would attentively listen to your story, and then rate you up anyway---after all, what's the downside for them?

Tags
insurance, lexisnexis, driven, car, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.