Bernhard Langer injured playing pickleball!

Old 03-14-2024, 02:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,321 Times in 596 Posts
Default Bernhard Langer injured playing pickleball!

Bernhard Langer to miss the Masters because of a pickleball injury.

Bernhard Langer: Pickleball injury forces golfer to miss The Masters | CNN
Old 03-14-2024, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

Doesn’t say when the injury occurred but the amazing part of this story is that he will be tournament ready in May! That’s an incredible trajectory for recovery in your mid 60’s. Even Aaron Rodgers missed a whole football season with a similar injury. Langer is a great athlete and one of the true gentleman of the game
Old 03-14-2024, 11:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,321 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Doesn’t say when the injury occurred but the amazing part of this story is that he will be tournament ready in May! That’s an incredible trajectory for recovery in your mid 60’s. Even Aaron Rodgers missed a whole football season with a similar injury. Langer is a great athlete and one of the true gentleman of the game
He was injured on February 1.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:29 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Had a complete Achilles tear and needed surgery. Not Mr. Langer, but had a quick great recovery. Quick movements and speed important. Golf a lot easier to recover
Old 03-15-2024, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

Injured his Achilles Tendon according to the article. Pretty common among neophyte pickleballers. The sport does not have a great reputation among serious players of most other sports.

A lot of professional athletes (many from non-racquet sports), both current and retired, have seen the rising popularity of Pickleball and have invested quite a bit in the sport, playing venues, various teams, etc. A name athlete showing up to play a sport he or she is heavily invested in can be a positive influence and thus help the investment. I don't know if this is the case with Mr. Langer but it is possible.

Problem is, being a competent athlete in one sport, even if you're in great shape to play that sport, does not automatically translate into "pickleball" shape. The sport is notorious among tennis players, many of whom develop tennis elbow when playing Pickleball. Not being a pickleball player myself but having watched it a lot, the sport resembles ping-pong on steroids. My wife and I are avid tennis players, and it is obvious that a pickleball paddle resembles a tennis racquet only vaguely, and trying to swing one like you would a tennis raquet (natural if you're a tennis player just trying out pickleball) is not only fruitless but can cause problems. The shots, and thus the arm motions, are nowhere near similar. We've had several friends, avid tennis players, who have tried pickleball and consequently suffered some significant arm and shoulder injuries thereby.

The other issue as I see it is that the motions are entirely different. Pickleball seems to be a lot of standing in one place; reaching, twisting, stretching and lunging for balls with your upper body while your lower body doesn't move all that much. The court is small, space is limited. You don't HAVE to be all that mobile to play the sport. The end result could very well be that even though you may be stellar in one sport, when it comes to pickleball your athletic ability for the sport, at first anyway, may be approximately that of someone whose "training" consists of sucking down beer.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:

So, people get injured everyday from hundreds of causes. They don’t make news. I sure it’s not going to be financial burden on Lugar. After all really don’t have real job. Not like working stiff having to support family.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Injured his Achilles Tendon according to the article. Pretty common among neophyte pickleballers. The sport does not have a great reputation among serious players of most other sports.

A lot of professional athletes (many from non-racquet sports), both current and retired, have seen the rising popularity of Pickleball and have invested quite a bit in the sport, playing venues, various teams, etc. A name athlete showing up to play a sport he or she is heavily invested in can be a positive influence and thus help the investment. I don't know if this is the case with Mr. Langer but it is possible.

Problem is, being a competent athlete in one sport, even if you're in great shape to play that sport, does not automatically translate into "pickleball" shape. The sport is notorious among tennis players, many of whom develop tennis elbow when playing Pickleball. Not being a pickleball player myself but having watched it a lot, the sport resembles ping-pong on steroids. My wife and I are avid tennis players, and it is obvious that a pickleball paddle resembles a tennis racquet only vaguely, and trying to swing one like you would a tennis raquet (natural if you're a tennis player just trying out pickleball) is not only fruitless but can cause problems. The shots, and thus the arm motions, are nowhere near similar. We've had several friends, avid tennis players, who have tried pickleball and consequently suffered some significant arm and shoulder injuries thereby.

The other issue as I see it is that the motions are entirely different. Pickleball seems to be a lot of standing in one place; reaching, twisting, stretching and lunging for balls with your upper body while your lower body doesn't move all that much. The court is small, space is limited. You don't HAVE to be all that mobile to play the sport. The end result could very well be that even though you may be stellar in one sport, when it comes to pickleball your athletic ability for the sport, at first anyway, may be approximately that of someone whose "training" consists of sucking down beer.
Agree.

Just cause he’s good golfer that don’t mean it can translates to other sports were actively have to move and use different muscles.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
But they’re big differences between golf and football. He may be ready and he may not,only time will tell?
Old 03-15-2024, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, people get injured everyday from hundreds of causes. They don’t make news. I sure it’s not going to be financial burden on Lugar. After all really don’t have real job. Not like working stiff having to support family.
My post was more the human aspect to the man and his injury. Not sure anyone was questioning his financials and solvency. But if you want to start a post and hold a vigil for John and Jane Q Public and their financial struggles and sports related injuries....here’s your chance
Old 03-15-2024, 09:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
My post was more the human aspect to the man and his injury. Not sure anyone was questioning his financials and solvency. But if you want to start a post and hold a vigil for John and Jane Q Public and their financial struggles and sports related injuries....here’s your chance
Ok, I’ll get out of sandbox.

Tags
bernhard, langer, pickleball, injured, playing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.