Best PHISHING Email EVAH!

Old 01-01-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts
Default Best PHISHING Email EVAH!

How many wrongs are there with this email?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 8.28.03 AM.jpg
Views:	3678
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	101981  
Old 01-01-2024, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,069 Posts

What makes you believe that is a phishing email?

Amazon has an appstore

There is an Apple TV app in the amazon appstore

The URL given to check your amazon appstore subscriptions is valid

ON THE OTHER HAND: the x3080 number appears to indicate a scam! While the printed URLs in that email are valid, the link behind them may not be.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 01-01-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

First, you need to check the sending address. It may not be what displays in the email.
Second, you need to check the URLs, as they maybe be different from what it shows.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Sage

1) The app is free. . so there is no money to refund for the app
2) the app is sold by Amazon Services, not the Amazon Appstore customer services.
3) Amazon should not know if you signed up or not in a non Amazon app
4) if you spend any money in the Apple App to Apple, Amazon doesn't have access to refund it

Also?
5) Did the email drop a drive by web injection virus?
6) is the phone number taking advantage of fear of clicking on a link to vs calling to talk to a live person?

That's why its the best phishing email evah!

its getting tougher out there folks, keep your guard up!
Old 01-01-2024, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
1) The app is free. . so there is no money to refund for the app
2) the app is sold by Amazon Services, not the Amazon Appstore customer services.
3) Amazon should not know if you signed up or not in a non Amazon app
4) if you spend any money in the Apple App to Apple, Amazon doesn't have access to refund it

Also?
5) Did the email drop a drive by web injection virus?
6) is the phone number taking advantage of fear of clicking on a link to vs calling to talk to a live person?

That's why its the best phishing email evah!

its getting tougher out there folks, keep your guard up!
1. I don't know that amazon doesn't sell subscriptions to apple TV just as they used to sell subscriptions to the Washington Post
2. The URL in the link is to the subscription services page where I would expect to go to see the status of an apple TV subscription purchased through amazon
3. If the apple TV subscription was purchased through amazon then they might know if you have ever used the app to activate the subscription
4. Correct, if you spent money with Apple through the apple app. However, see 1-3 above
5. The email could only inject a virus if the mail tool and its settings allowed that to happen. Most tools will protect against it unless the user has defeated those settings, chooses to download an image, or clicks on a link (which, of course, is what a phishing email intends for the user to do)
6. Yes, the phone number is a nice touch for any that would be cautious about clicking a link and would talk to a live person instead.

This *might* be an exact copy of a legitimate Amazon message with the only the links and phone number changed to target the unwary. In that respect it is very good.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-01-2024, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

I typed in the link for the appstoressubscription.
Not known.
Bet it works if you click on it though!
Old 01-01-2024, 10:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I typed in the link for the appstoressubscription.
Not known.
Bet it works if you click on it though!
you might try appstoresubscriptions rather than the word you typed above. It is a valid amazon page.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-01-2024, 11:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Again I feel left out never get these in my inbox but go directly to Junk/Spam folder.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefelane66 View Post
again i feel left out never get these in my inbox but go directly to junk/spam folder.
ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner winner -> chicken dinner!
Old 01-01-2024, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
1. I don't know that amazon doesn't sell subscriptions to apple TV just as they used to sell subscriptions to the Washington Post
2. The URL in the link is to the subscription services page where I would expect to go to see the status of an apple TV subscription purchased through amazon
3. If the apple TV subscription was purchased through amazon then they might know if you have ever used the app to activate the subscription
4. Correct, if you spent money with Apple through the apple app. However, see 1-3 above
5. The email could only inject a virus if the mail tool and its settings allowed that to happen. Most tools will protect against it unless the user has defeated those settings, chooses to download an image, or clicks on a link (which, of course, is what a phishing email intends for the user to do)
6. Yes, the phone number is a nice touch for any that would be cautious about clicking a link and would talk to a live person instead.

This *might* be an exact copy of a legitimate Amazon message with the only the links and phone number changed to target the unwary. In that respect it is very good.
At whom is this phishing email targeted?

Not Apple users, as most apple users use the Apple app store app right on their phone.
NON apple phone users. . .

So because you don't know, would you follow up on any of the links? Seems that you are the intended target as you don't know the answers to any of the questions. .
Old 01-01-2024, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
you might try appstoresubscriptions rather than the word you typed above. It is a valid amazon page.
I need new specs. Too many ssssss's!
Old 01-01-2024, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
At whom is this phishing email targeted?

Not Apple users, as most apple users use the Apple app store app right on their phone.
NON apple phone users. . .

So because you don't know, would you follow up on any of the links? Seems that you are the intended target as you don't know the answers to any of the questions. .
Well.... Since the app is in the Amazon web store and this message is intended to look as though it came from Amazon one might assume it was targeting users of Android devices such as the Amazon firestick.

Since I did not receive the email I'm pretty sure I'm NOT the intended target. On the other hand, I *do* have a firestick with the Apple TV app installed so I am a potential target. Fortunately for me, I know how to analyze URLs and follow them safely. While I don't know if Amazon sells Apple TV subscriptions, I do know that I have not purchased one. (is there another question I don't know the answer to?)

While I might fit some of the profile of an intended target, the effort would be lost on me.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-01-2024, 05:49 PM
Platinum member

Yeah, I got a few of them and fully intend to pay up as soon as that bank in Nigeria sends me the million dollars they are holding for me. If only I could dig up the $$ and pay their transfer fee. Life sure is getting complicated.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Since I did not receive the email I'm pretty sure I'm NOT the intended target. On the other hand, I *do* have a firestick with the Apple TV app installed so I am a potential target. Fortunately for me, I know how to analyze URLs and follow them safely. While I don't know if Amazon sells Apple TV subscriptions, I do know that I have not purchased one. (is there another question I don't know the answer to?)

While I might fit some of the profile of an intended target, the effort would be lost on me.

with all the answers in the prior post having a "I don't know " vibe to them, vs this post's statements, makes a big difference in one's intuition of the poster's cyber awareness.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

First thing, never go to any url from a 3rd party. 2nd, never call a phone number from an email. 3rd, if any email claims your account has been charged (PayPal, Amazon, wayfair, Apple, etc) and you need to go to this url or call this number, DON’T, always go to the parent company in question to see if this so called charge is legitimate. 4th, I never go to another company to download an iPad/iphone/Apple TV app, I always go to the Apple App Store to download an app.
To make things less stressful, get a subscription to LifeLock and configure this to always alert you for any transaction on any of your credit cards, brokerage accts, bank accounts, dark web, etc. I’ve done this for years and if you go thru Sam’s Club, you get a decent reduction in monthly cost.

Tags
email, phishing, evah, wrongs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.