Best place to observe alligators for visitors?

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2021, 09:02 AM
Default Best place to observe alligators for visitors?

Best place to observe alligators for visitors? we have visitors coming in they are mesmerized by the fact that they can observe alligators, the drive that Apopka is closed during the week that is where I was planning on taking them. Anyone have any ideas as to where I could take them. we really are looking for something in the natural setting as opposed to a bunch of alligators in a cage. Thank you in advance for any possible knowledge you’re going to share
Old 12-13-2021, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

I see by far the most gators on the Championship golf courses with a lot of ponds/lakes.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:48 AM

Gator land has them in cages and in natural setting but safely fenced. Gators can run 35 miles per hour so you don’t want to get to close
Old 12-13-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
Best place to observe alligators for visitors? we have visitors coming in they are mesmerized by the fact that they can observe alligators, the drive that Apopka is closed during the week that is where I was planning on taking them. Anyone have any ideas as to where I could take them. we really are looking for something in the natural setting as opposed to a bunch of alligators in a cage. Thank you in advance for any possible knowledge you’re going to share
I don't know of anywhere in the wild that you can GUARNTEE that visitors will see alligators. That is because they won't be out in the water or on a bank if it is cool or cold the week they are here. So unless it is nice and warm when your visitors are here, you may be stuck with going to a preserve areas. We've seen them on many of the ponds in The Villages or even at Lake Okahumpka and Lake Panasoffkee, but always by chance.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
... Apopka is closed during the week that is where I was planning on taking them.
Apopka is open on Fridays in addition to Sat. and Sun., if that helps.

kathy
Old 12-14-2021, 07:28 AM

Lake Griffin state part might be an option you can rent kayaks or go on a boat tour. If the weather is decently warm you’ll see a bunch…just try not to go early in the morning they really need it the temps to warm to get active. Added the link below.

Pontoon Boat Tours at Lake Griffin | Florida State Parks
Old 12-14-2021, 07:51 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default alligator

air boat ride on Lake Panasofoke(not sure of the spelling). you might see them on the ride, and at the end they let you hold one
Old 12-14-2021, 08:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,194 Times in 761 Posts

I see most of them on the golf courses.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

don't go on the golf courses unless playing. it's illegal and you can be arrested...even in the dark

Last edited by Mortal1; 12-14-2021 at 09:56 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 12-14-2021, 10:37 AM
Gold member

I play golf on championship courses twice a week and rarely see a gator. They just aren't around so much anymore. I suggest Gatorland in Orlando. You'll see hundreds of gators up close and safely (and other creatures as well). A real old fashioned Florida tourist trap, for sure.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:05 AM

To see thousands of gators take a long drive south to Myakka State park , East of Sarasota. Long several hour drive but you won’t be disappointed.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
When it is a nice hot (for this season) day, they tend to sunbath on the shore. The west shore of Linden Isle has quite a few. 2 days ago I saw about 6.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:23 AM
Default "La Chua Trail" at Paynes Prairie in Gainesville

A memorable place to take them would be to the La Chua Trail in Gainesville. It is part of Paynes Prairie. Have been there several times and never disappointed.

La Chua Trail | Florida Hikes

Although it's an hour/hour and a half drive and you pay $4 I think to park, it's a nice easy walk along the slightly elevated trail. Loads of alligators. We've seen the wild horses out there too. Might need binoculars or a zoom camera to see them.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:58 AM

Apoka wild life preserve drive through on 441 South
It’s free it takes about one hour to drive through it. More gators than you can count
Old 12-15-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I don't know that there are any guarantees to see a gator in a natural setting.

If you and your friends might like a tour in a natural setting where you might get to see one you could take a boat tour in Mt. Dora.

My husband and I took a tour a few years ago and the boat went through a nature preserve. It was beautiful. We did get to see one gator. It was hard to see because it blended in with the scenery, but the tour guide helped everyone to find it.

We used Premier Boat Tours 352-434-8040 and were happy with them.

After the tour we went to one of the many wonderful restaurants in downtown Mt. Dora.
Closed Thread

Tags
alligators, observe, visitors, place, natural

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.